ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Hurley

Dec 14, 2019
Why didn’t we hire Danny Hurley out if St Benedict’s? I think we also had the chance to hire him a couple other times and let Kevin Willard walk to Virginia Tech. Now look what he’s doing.

Why didn’t we hire Danny Hurley out if St Benedict’s? I think we also had the chance to hire him a couple other times and let Kevin Willard walk to Virginia Tech. Now look what he’s doing.
Because he was not gonna come...he wanted st johns

Reactions: HallX2
I am sure a few wanted us to hire him. But it was never an avalanche of support. We saved that for bg lol.

Love how his team is playing. Love how he is comporting himself. Loved him mentionig how he will miss coaching his son. At a huge moment like that it isnt unusual to have your mind race and forget that which is most important personally. Dan didnt. From one dad to another, bravo!!

Consensus seems to be he was never coming here. Just why, I don’t know. And It doesn’t matter.
I think you are right. His five years at the Hall were painful. He is always complimentary when speaking about it/us, and says the issues were on him, but I don't think he wants to re visit them in any way. Glad to call him a fellow alum, but with all the BS that went on between Sr. and PJ before he enrolled, (again, hindsight), it would have been better if he had gone elsewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: walshtrips
I thought that was Bobby.
Bobby used them for a raise. Don’t think it was anything more.

Always rumored Danny wanted them post-Lavin, pre-Uconn. In the Hurley Sr book there is a section about when Jarvis was fired both Danny and Bobby Jr pushing Senior to pursue the job.

I remember an article where Danny was being considered for, I believe, an assistant’s position and he thought he would be getting it and was looking for a place to live in the area before being passed over and he took a position somewhere else.

Bobby used them for a raise. Don’t think it was anything more.

Always rumored Danny wanted them post-Lavin, pre-Uconn. In the Hurley Sr book there is a section about when Jarvis was fired both Danny and Bobby Jr pushing Senior to pursue the job.
I think Sr. to St. John's at that time was a pipe dream. St. J's wouldn't go that route. Sr.'s best offer was an assistant at Xavier (pre Big East, probably pre A-10) under Pete Gillen.

Would he be doing better with shu? Look at the resources at UConn.
Hurley is a very good coach but no better than Sha is in the long term.SHU would be no better with Hurley coaching and UConn would be just as good with Sha coaching.UConn will dominate BE BB until they leave the league for a better conference opportunity ie more $$$.This was all very predictable when they rejoined the league.

I think you are right. His five years at the Hall were painful. He is always complimentary when speaking about it/us, and says the issues were on him, but I don't think he wants to re visit them in any way. Glad to call him a fellow alum, but with all the BS that went on between Sr. and PJ before he enrolled, (again, hindsight), it would have been better if he had gone elsewhere.
His son graduated from The Hall.

Hurley is a very good coach but no better than Sha is in the long term.SHU would be no better with Hurley coaching and UConn would be just as good with Sha coaching.UConn will dominate BE BB until they leave the league for a better conference opportunity ie more $$$.This was all very predictable when they rejoined the league.
I agree. But the real difference is the $$$ available to Hurley

Why didn't RU? I recall his name coming up with respect to openings with them over the years.

The crystal ball doesn’t always work on coaching selections especially unproven ones….But it worked pretty well when we hired PJ.

Not like Hurley went right from St Benedict to UConn, he put in two seasons at Wagner, then another 5 or 6 at Rhode Island before getting UConn job. If we had let go Willard after his 1st few tough seasons, I assume Hurley would have been a candidate, but at that point he probably had already been out of our range.

Really? The coach no one wanted to hire at the school no one wants to coach at? If he was any good he wouldn’t have flamed out in the NFL and he would have had much better options than RU when returning to the college game. He’s at RU for a reason, no one else wants him!
He used success at RU to get a NFL head coaching job. There are great college and professional coaches who go decades if not their entire careers without getting that opportunity.

So, no, RU wasn’t a “graveyard” for him. He used it to get to a place few guys reach. I don’t like Rutgers or Rutgers football, but reality is reality.

Why didn't RU? I recall his name coming up with respect to openings with them over the years.
He was an assistant there. I don’t know how real that story is. Just as no one will convince me Jay Wright was all that close to taking the rutgers gig. I think they flatter themselves too much.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
If nova didnt step in he was taking the ru job. I think that was how it was widely reported.

He used success at RU to get a NFL head coaching job. There are great college and professional coaches who go decades if not their entire careers without getting that opportunity.

So, no, RU wasn’t a “graveyard” for him. He used it to get to a place few guys reach. I don’t like Rutgers or Rutgers football, but reality is reality.
Hurley and Rutgers came close to a deal, but Danny wanted more $$$$ and a longer contract, so the deal fell through.

Reactions: Halldan1
What was issue b/w Sr and PJ?

Yes, and now he’s back there. Did you see the uproar at Tennessee when someone there wanted to consider Schiano? WWIII was about to break out from the irreparable harm doing something like that would have caused.

Schiano is at Rutgers for a reason, no one else wants him!

What was issue b/w Sr and PJ?
Sr. wanted PJ to offer Danny; PJ had Caver who was only a year older. PJ might have been still miffed by Bobby bailing on us two or three years before. To what extent PJ really didn't want him is .... vague. As time passes those tensions are smoothed over. PJ, for all his Hall success, is a lot like Jay Wright currently.

Reactions: MichiganStoleTitle
Yes, and now he’s back there. Did you see the uproar at Tennessee when someone there wanted to consider Schiano? WWIII was about to break out from the irreparable harm doing something like that would have caused.

Schiano is at Rutgers for a reason, no one else wants him!
And no one else wanted ru !!!

I believe Danny when he said he will donate to SHU's NIL when he's done at UConn. Unfortunately for us, he is going to be at UConn for a long, long, long time.

The one thing that always frustrates me with these hypotheticals is that people pose these as if UConn and Seton Hall is an apples to apples comparison.

Just because Coach A is successful at a school with every conceivable competitive advantage doesn’t necessarily mean he/she will be successful elsewhere (and vice versa).

Reactions: chickenbox
If nova didnt step in he was taking the ru job. I think that was how it was widely reported.
What’s widely reported isn’t always correct. It wouldn’t surprise me that Jay wanted Nova all along and used ru. Who could blame him. And the story told helps out the ru AD

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT