ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Hurley

This was the exact reason to punt Willard and offer Danny. Maybe he didn't wanna come, but it's likely he would have left SHU with any kind of success, especially in the NIL era.

it's very clear he's a great in game coach and has amazing leadership qualities. works the refs, works the fans. gets asses in seats. it's the opposite of what we had. And that is the kind of coach that wins back to back championships.

If Danny was our coach for a few years would we have had a few NCAA wins? Probably. But at this point Sha is our best case scenario given the current landscape.

Because he was not gonna come...he wanted st johns
Really the Question that has remained unanswered is did Willard ever try to hire Hurley in Willard's first year to bring in a NJ-based elite recruiter? The timing might've worked out before Hurley took Wagner. I'm sure Willard dealt with Hurley recruiting St. Benedict's when Willard was at Iona. I know Hurley has said he's always wanted to stay as a Head Coach no matter what level and not go be an Asst anywhere, but he couldve stayed living in NJ. Wonder if Willard ever looked at him for that role.

Really the Question that has remained unanswered is did Willard ever try to hire Hurley in Willard's first year to bring in a NJ-based elite recruiter? The timing might've worked out before Hurley took Wagner. I'm sure Willard dealt with Hurley recruiting St. Benedict's when Willard was at Iona. I know Hurley has said he's always wanted to stay as a Head Coach no matter what level and not go be an Asst anywhere, but he couldve stayed living in NJ. Wonder if Willard ever looked at him for that role.
Hurley's first year at Wagner was Willard's first year at Seton Hall.

Thanks for finding and posting this. Danny is a complicated guy. I can’t remember which book on the Hurleys I read about 20 years ago but it went into some detail on the stuff that he was dealing with. Always liked Danny but when I learned a little bit about what he was dealing with on and off the court and how he dealt with it, I became even more in his corner.

Thanks for finding and posting this. Danny is a complicated guy. I can’t remember which book on the Hurleys I read about 20 years ago but it went into some detail on the stuff that he was dealing with. Always liked Danny but when I learned a little bit about what he was dealing with on and off the court and how he dealt with it, I became even more in his corner.
Divided Loyalties: The Diary Of A Basketball Father https://a.co/d/hq0jltH

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Our chance for Danny was as an assistant in his early years. But when Blaney was fired and Keating left, the new staff (Amaker and Fogelson) reportedly wouldn't even take a meeting with him so he took an assistant's job at Rutgers.

Would have been a bit of a reach to hire him as HC in 2010 out of St.Benedicts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT