ADVERTISEMENT

Donation Match News

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
This started months ago and we are nowhere near our goal for the closing date of September 4th.

We are competing against our peers along with the rest of high D1 basketball and the total collected to this point is an embarrassment to Seton Hall. That's on us, on our high rollers and to the administration who until hiring Mike McBride (more on that in the weeks to come) just did not communicate well to the fanbase.

I'm still on vacation for another week but starting today through the conclusion of the Challenge I will push daily for us to meet our goal.

When I get home next weekend I will donate for the third time. I hope those that financially can will follow that lead.

If you have any questions please post them here and I will try and get you answers. Just understand that I am not home so those answers might take a little time.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Know that Mike Walsh and his group, Hall Hands on Deck, along with Mike Frungillo are all involved in this endeavor as well.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Maybe the problem is the way Hall Ball Events is running this. Right from the start, not the beginning of this particular campaign, Hall Ball made it very clear that they only wanted to deal with the big money people and had no need for the little guy. There is also no publicity about this, I haven’t seen any marketing for this in weeks and honestly forgot about it until your post right now. The Hall Ball group got preferential treatment from the university because Brian Felt wanted to help out his buddy. If the university is supporting this group you would think it would be easier for them to reach out to season ticket holders and Pirate Blue members but I’ve seen nothing, maybe one email months ago but that’s it. Like the university, Hall Ball seems to be quite challenged when it comes to fundraising, outreach and marketing and limiting the pool of people they will deal with to a small circle of friends. This is on top of running a basketball camp when most kids were still in school. I’m honestly not impressed with this group as they don’t seem to know what they are doing, at least not where Seton Hall is concerned. Sad because these are supposed to be alums so you would think contributing to our success would be a priority.

This is very unlike Mike Walsh’s group who welcomes all donors and seemingly has no connections to Seton Hall’s good ol’ boy network . Mike Walsh does not have the university’s blessing because he was not buddies with Bryan Felt in undergrad. Despite all of this Mike regularly reaches out despite not having regular avenues to do so. The university currently does not recognize his group so he has no access to season ticket holders and Pirate Blue members. Yet, the fundraising challenge Mike ran was a huge success and he generated a lot of excitement about it every step of the way. His group set a goal and reached that goal in record time. They then doubled down, increased that goal and then blew that goal away well before the scheduled end of the campaign. Mike’s group has proven that with a little hard work, despite all of the road blocks from the university, you can be successful.

The university likes to blame the alumni for their shortcomings, maybe this is why they like Hall Ball. Maybe it’s time to put Mike Walsh’s group in charge because we have now lost a second year. We cannot afford to lose anymore time, we’ve lost too much already.

Can we please stop being afraid of success and stop with the excuses and blaming the alumni? You can’t keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If nothing else, Mike Walsh’s group has proven that with some hard work we can be quite successful.

Last edited:
The university is surprised no donations are made because they charged an arm and a leg for education in a hyper inflated economy while simultaneously not offering significant alumni engagement events. Shocker. Where is my incentive Seton Hall????

There’s so many ways the university could fund raise while concurrently engaging it’s alumni. Food truck days, beer festivals, etc. sell merchandise and season ticket packages at a slightly reduced rate while at events

Steph curry said it’s childish to just beg for the ball during the game.

The university is begging for cash and it’s not a good look. Same vibe as Steph’s quote. There seems to be no plan of action and business as usual.

Last edited:
University needs significant marketing effort to build ties to alumni.If you're marketing a consumer product you can't blame a consumer for not buying it.You have to look inward at your marketing effort and improve that effort.

Exactly. There’s been inaction for months and they are shocked by the poor results.

Maybe time to hire some younger blood with more energetic ideas and drive?

Exactly. There’s been inaction for months and they are shocked by the poor results.

Maybe time to hire some younger blood with more energetic ideas and drive?
Or stop the good ol’ boys network and talking to the same 10 people. Stop ignoring the alumni who don’t have the means to give 7 figure donations and stop giving jobs to your buddies.

When will they learn!?

Love Dan way too much for this but the fact that the school is blaming the fans is classic case of SOS. There has been zero effort put in to market this over the last 3 months. The fans are a small portion of why we are behind but 98% falls on BOR and athletics staff.

Know that Mike Walsh and his group, Hall Hands on Deck, along with Mike Frungillo are all involved in this endeavor as well.
I want to clarify HHOD's role in this fundraiser and provide context to the situation:

- The $350K Match and $5,000/player golf outing were organized prior to Mike McBride's hire. Communication, event coordination, event planning, and promotion will greatly improve when Mike announces the revised NIL entity this fall.

- HHOD was not involved with the development of either of these fundraisers. We have communicated these events with our membership (currently 150+) with our 2nd quarter newsletter. We're hesitant to promote these events, as the university hasn't publicly embraced our organization. HHOD has promised to forward donations made from now through September 4th toward the $350K Match.

- Fans/alumni aren't responsible for the results in the $350K challenge. Many have pointed out the lack of promotion and communication, these are legitimate issues that are being addressed. We can't rely on high-end donors to bail us out all the time, we need to show love to all who want to help.

Falling short on the $350K Match will not be a good look, but it's not an indicator as to the direction we're heading. Changes are in the works and you will see vast improvements in communication this fall. Perception is reality, but I assure everyone that things aren't as bad as they seem.

Keep the faith! GO PIRATES!!!

Last edited:
What fundraiser is this now? Every time I come here there’s a new post about some “major fundraiser” that desperately needs your support!

Nobody is thinking about school in the summer. And you can’t expect people to donate every month to some new fundraiser. Fatigue sets in along with other negative feelings that you’re just being gouged.

Enough with the fundraisers. This isn’t little league.

We’re never going to keep up in the current landscape of NCAA sports. Either the school and fans accept that or we wait untill it hopefully changes back to where it was meant to be

What fundraiser is this now? Every time I come here there’s a new post about some “major fundraiser” that desperately needs your support!

Nobody is thinking about school in the summer. And you can’t expect people to donate every month to some new fundraiser. Fatigue sets in along with other negative feelings that you’re just being gouged.

Enough with the fundraisers. This isn’t little league.

We’re never going to keep up in the current landscape of NCAA sports. Either the school and fans accept that or we wait untill it hopefully changes back to where it was meant to be
Most D-1 universities organize NIL fundraising events. It's not "little league" to have events, we just need to organize them like we're not little league.

Most D-1 universities organize NIL fundraising events. It's not "little league" to have events, we just need to organize them like we're not little league.
But sadly the one hand picked by his college buddy would have a tough time organizing a little league fundraiser yet he has the support of a major university to handle theirs! I wonder what he does for the other schools he is supposedly involved with. Mike McBride has SEC experience, hopefully he has recognized that we are in desperate need of help and will shake things up and do things the way they should be done.

Reactions: arcdreams
Curious how this was impacted when the IRS came out in June and said donations to non profits for college athletes are not deductible

the lack of communication/promotion of this campaign is concerning. It just furthers the narrative that there is zero coordination/leadership at the top.

Having said that, I would encourage everyone to get behind the cause. It all starts with NIL. If we don’t contribute sha will not be able to field a competitive team.

the lack of communication/promotion of this campaign is concerning. It just furthers the narrative that there is zero coordination/leadership at the top.

Having said that, I would encourage everyone to get behind the cause. It all starts with NIL. If we don’t contribute sha will not be able to field a competitive team.
Oh well. College athletics are ruined. Who cares if the only objective to winning is to pay as much as possible like you’re the New York Yankees or LIV golf

Reactions: P1RAT3 and shu09
I have been donating to Hall Hands cause Felt and is Hall Ball bud from college wanted nothing to do with just getting the little guys involved.........we have to face facts that this current athletic department got off to a horrible start, can't catch up and are way in over there heads.

Curious how this was impacted when the IRS came out in June and said donations to non profits for college athletes are not deductible
The IRS hasn't made donations to NIL nonprofits taxable. The June letter was an opinion, nothing has changed regarding deductibility. It is possible that the IRS will make a change in the future.

We're preparing for a possible change and will present marketing opportunities for contributions, making them deductible as business expenses.

I posted this thread because of the importance moving forward as regards the subject. I wanted those that care to communicate any issues as they see them so in the future our recent hires are made aware of those issues.

I also wanted to bring up the subject to further the financial cause. Whether those here feel the Challenge was or was not run properly we still have nearly a month to set it right.

At least here the lack of communication regarding the Challenge is no longer relevant. Those reading this, and that number is well into the thousands, know where we are and what we must do.

The ball is in our court and in the past we have always met the challenge here. Let's do that again.

I posted this thread because of the importance moving forward as regards the subject. I wanted those that care to communicate any issues as they see them so in the future our recent hires are made aware of those issues.

I also wanted to bring up the subject to further the financial cause. Whether those here feel the Challenge was or was not run properly we still have nearly a month to set it right.

At least here the lack of communication regarding the Challenge is no longer relevant. Those reading this, and that number is well into the thousands, know where we are and what we must do.

The ball is in our court and in the past we have always met the challenge here. Let's do that again.
How is the lack of communication regarding this challenge no longer relevant? Because you made a post and reminded everyone again? Hall Ball has done absolutely nothing for months and continues to do nothing. This isn’t the first time their lack of communication has been brought up. It’s been made painfully obvious that we are not their target audience. You are friends with them and their buddies so they put the bug in your ear and ask you to deal with us. Sorry but it doesn’t work that way.

I have real concerns about Hall Ball and the way they operate. Looking at the posts here it seems I’m not the only one. They want to keep doing things the same way they always have but they keep expecting different results. That is a recipe for failure. I do not feel that the success of Seton Hall is a priority for Hall Ball. It’s seems more like they are trying to pacify their college buddy who is the AD.

If this was a challenge being run by HHOD we would not even be having this conversation because the goal would have been met 2-3 times over at this point.

No one wants Seton Hall to be more successful than I do but if I’m donating for NIL it will always go to HHOD before I would even consider Hall Ball. Others are free to make their own decisions and do not have to agree with me.

I’m sorry if this sounds harsh but you can’t keep pissing on my leg and hoping I’ll believe it’s raining.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with most of the comments on this thread. The frustration with Alum I have talked to is Hall Ball and the product Seton Hall is putting on the basketball court for the men's team. Felt has slept at the wheel since Willard left. First time I have not renewed my season tickets in a very long time and a few of my alum friends have not renewed too.

Anyone know how season ticket sales are doing going into the second year of the Sha era? I hope they are continuing to increase because so many people on this board wanted Sha over Willard. Go Pirates and Hazard Zet even in this very frustrating time as a Seton Hall basketball fan. I'll be watching the games from my living room this year.

Yes, I agree with most of the comments on this thread. The frustration with Alum I have talked to is Hall Ball and the product Seton Hall is putting on the basketball court for the men's team. Felt has slept at the wheel since Willard left. First time I have not renewed my season tickets in a very long time and a few of my alum friends have not renewed too.

Anyone know how season ticket sales are doing going into the second year of the Sha era? I hope they are continuing to increase because so many people on this board wanted Sha over Willard. Go Pirates and Hazard Zet even in this very frustrating time as a Seton Hall basketball fan. I'll be watching the games from my living room this year.
There was no choice between Sha and Willard. Willard wasn't pushed out, he left for greener pastures. Sha is a good coach and likely the only successful coach who would be committed to the University and players.

Mike McBride is going to get things running properly. Perhaps you can contribute half of what you saved on season tickets toward NIL, this would lessen the blow from losing you as a homecourt fan. Your contribution would help to produce a better product and win your attendance back in 2024.

www.hallhandsondeck.com

There was no choice between Sha and Willard. Willard wasn't pushed out, he left for greener pastures. Sha is a good coach and likely the only successful coach who would be committed to the University and players.

Mike McBride is going to get things running properly. Perhaps you can contribute half of what you saved on season tickets toward NIL, this would lessen the blow from losing you as a homecourt fan. Your contribution would help to produce a better product and win your attendance back in 2024.

www.hallhandsondeck.com

Thank you. I will contribute when I see things being run correctly. Please don't tell me how I should spend my money. Right now it's a mess and it doesn't look like it's get any better anytime soon.

Thank you. I will contribute when I see things being run correctly. Please don't tell me how I should spend my money. Right now it's a mess and it doesn't look like it's get any better anytime soon.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was telling you what to do with your money. I was merely suggesting a way that you can help and make the situation better.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was telling you what to do with your money. I was merely suggesting a way that you can help and make the situation better.

Sure, I'll help out when Seton Hall shows they are willing to compete in an NIL environment. As of today I don't see that and this offseason has confirmed that. What a disaster. I am also speaking on behalf of a few of alumni that have not renewed heir season ticket packages as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soyaqui and CaptBob
Meanwhile Providence setting a record for itself.

Over 50% from 4 individuals.Need that kind of weight to create momentum with balance of fans.

Seriously our leadership can't be this bad?....I have always said our AD is way in over his head but it was in the hopes I could be proven wrong. Besides this site I haven't seen anything presented about raising money for NIL. Should be a constant stream of trying to get every alum to donate. Emails, calls, texts, show how much has been raised, do something.

I get this is a message board and I’m not against calling out the SHU administration for their consistent slow learning curve but this is not the thread to be doing it.

This is about moving forward and catching up with our peers. Any negative comments here aren’t getting us any closer to accomplishing that goal

I get this is a message board and I’m not against calling out the SHU administration for their consistent slow learning curve but this is not the thread to be doing it.

This is about moving forward and catching up with our peers. Any negative comments here aren’t getting us any closer to accomplishing that goal

What is your pitch to invest any money into this? I already do donated a lot of money the last year and a half and I feel like it has been thrown in the garbage. Look at the mess this offseason has brought and even the careless mistakes that happened last basketball season (Not signing Tyrese Samuel). We all know what happened with this negotiations. What can you bring to the table to tell me to invest in Seton Hall basketball?

Reactions: mga pirate

That’s what happens when you have fundraising people who actually know how to raise funds. Our supposed fundraising people, both athletics and the university as a whole, only know how to point fingers and blame everyone but themselves. They think that just by showing up to work ever day that they’ve done their part and that checks from alumni should just magically appear because they breathe.

Fundraising at Seton Hall, across the board, is absolutely pathetic.

That’s what happens when you have fundraising people who actually know how to raise funds. Our supposed fundraising people, both athletics and the university as a whole, only know how to point fingers and blame everyone but themselves. They think that just by showing up to work ever day that they’ve done their part and that checks from alumni should just magically appear because they breathe.

Yes! I couldn't have said it better myself

Yes, it has.
We can keep beating up the school.
They made mistakes and they are now doing what is necessary to correct those mistakes and create a NIL program that we all will be very proud of.
That is what Mike McBride has been charged with and that is what he has been working on. We will see the plan sometime in September.
But we can not just sit back and wait to see what will be put into place. Sha needs funds now.
Please go to the HHOD site and donate whatever you can.
All donations, right now, will go to the matching funds NIL program.

www.hallhandsondeck.com

How is the lack of communication regarding this challenge no longer relevant? Because you made a post and reminded everyone again?
Where do you see me making that statement? Do you read or just feel the need to respond angerly to every post!

I fully agree with many of the comments made on this thread and in fact that was my main reason to start it. I wanted to bring a subject up that has fallen into the background and place the blame squarely on all of our shoulders.

We share failure together as we do success. It's a team effort.

My comment above doesn't even hint at the lack of communication no longer being relevant. Instead I noted that HERE that is no longer the case as we are all reading this long thread and in short those that do cannot use the excuse of ignorance moving forward.

That said, I will be donating again to Mike Walsh's group as he will be passing that money along to the Challenge. I do that because Mike has been there since day one for the 'little guy,' most of which are contributors from this board.

I ask those reading this to support Hall Hands on Deck in like fashion. Give what you can, even if the amount is small as that amount will be doubled. Let's show our support for both Hall Hands on Deck as well as Seton Hall.

Just remember please do so before September 4th!!!!!!!

University needs significant marketing effort to build ties to alumni.If you're marketing a consumer product you can't blame a consumer for not buying it.You have to look inward at your marketing effort and improve that effort.
You also have to actually have a marketing effort. With Hall Ball there in no marketing effort and there is no plan. They are in desperate need of marketing people who also have a passion for Seton Hall.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdefabri
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT