ADVERTISEMENT

Favorites

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Since the other thread about favorite teams took off so well let's try again with these parameters.

Name your all time three favorite sports figures. That could be players, coaches, managers, owners, reporters, etc.

Keep it confined to three.

I'll start.

1. Mickey Mantle

2. Walt Frazier

3. Joe Namath.

That shows two things. My age and what area of the country I root for. LOL

1. Roger Staubach (great player... greater person)
2. Mickey Mantle (my first sports hero)
3. Willis Reed (close behind is Walt Frazier whose 36 pts and 19 assists (WOW!!!) really won gae 7 of the 1970 NBA finals, but Willis' emotion charged entrance to the court will be something I'll never forget)

close behind is Walt Frazier whose 36 pts and 19 assists (WOW!!!) really won game 7 of the 1970 NBA finals,

Don't forget the 5 steals. LOL

All of this going up against the Lakers all time great Jerry West.

Possibly the greatest individual NBA finals game in history.

- Baseball- Lenny Dykstra (was a bad judge of character back then I guess)

- Football - L.T. (see above)

- Tennis - Andre Agassi. Was a big tennis fan while he was playing. Haven't really watched since he retired.

Baseball - Mariano Rivera , excelled for so long and so consistently at the most pressure packed position in baseball in the city and with the team that was under the media spotlight all the time.

Football - Mark Bravaro , never quit on any play and I loved how this clutch player refused to be taken down to the ground.

Basketball - Bill Russell

Last edited:
For me it's:

1) Mickey Mantle

And there is nobody else.

Spent many a day out in the backyard pretending I was The Mick.

When he was near death, we had a vacation planned to Aruba. I told my wife if he died right before we were to leave for vacation or during vacation, I was either not going or flying home immediately. I wasn't kidding. Unfortunately he passed a few weeks before we left.

I still have the program/scorebooks from some of the games I attended at Yankee Stadium with my father, grandfather, and brother to see The Mick.

For me it's:

1) Mickey Mantle

And there is nobody else.

Spent many a day out in the backyard pretending I was The Mick.

When he was near death, we had a vacation planned to Aruba. I told my wife if he died right before we were to leave for vacation or during vacation, I was either not going or flying home immediately. I wasn't kidding. Unfortunately he passed a few weeks before we left.

I still have the program/scorebooks from some of the games I attended at Yankee Stadium with my father, grandfather, and brother to see The Mick.
Growing up at that time, he was one of those guys that even if you weren't a Yankee fan (I was), he was respected (much like Jeter) by most. He was my older brother's favorite so I had to "pick" someone else and it was Bobby Richardson at the time.

Back in the early 90's I was eating dinner at a Ruth Criss' in Dallas and Mantle was sitting two tables over with his wife and I think his son. He clearly had too much to drink and literally fell asleep in his plate and was shooing a few autograph seekers away. Left the restaurant completely draped over his wife's shoulders (she must have been incredibly strong). Just made me feel so sad at the time to see someone I admired in that state.

1. The Mick (no one else comes close).
2, LT (based on his complete dominance at his position and impact on the game);
3. Mariano Rivera (based on his complete dominance, reliability and clutch performance)
4. Joe Namath (combination of talent, charisma, confidence, and guts).

1. Tom Seaver
2. Drew Pearson
3. Julius Erving
4. Sugar Ray Leonard

- Baseball- Lenny Dykstra (was a bad judge of character back then I guess)

- Football - L.T. (see above)

- Tennis - Andre Agassi. Was a big tennis fan while he was playing. Haven't really watched since he retired.

Obviously a fan of the anti establishment. LOL

Baseball - Derek Jeter
Football - Mark Bavaro
Basketball - Oscar Robertson

For me its:
Michael Jordan
Lawrence Taylor
Mookie Wilson (just loved his game and the way he played). Had a chance to meet him last year before a Mets game and get a photo. Guy is still in better shape than most 30 year olds fwiw...

Here's something I put together on my three choices: Muhammad Ali, Roberto Clemente, and Vin Scully. Yeah it's a bit long, but with school out I've got time on my hands. I've included video and/or audio links. Two of the five clips are long but worth checking out.

MUHAMMAD ALI: I rooted hard for Joe Frazier when he and Muhammad Ali squared off in the Fight of the Century on March 8, 1971. Just 10 days short of my 13th birthday, I thought Ali was a loud-mouthed braggart who was bad for sports. My opinion of Ali changed as I learned more about him, and by October 1974 I was pulling a the then-underdog Ali when he upended George Foreman in the Rumble in the Jungle. What I mainly learned from Ali is that people are complex, and that you should never judge a book by its cover.

Boxing accomplishments aside, I admire Ali more as a man than an athlete. In retirement, he has devoted much of his time to philanthropy. He announced that he had Parkinson's disease in 1984 (the same disease my mother battled in her later years). Despite the progression of the disease, he has continued to support causes he believes in. Ali has traveled to numerous countries to help out those in need. In 1998, he was chosen to be a United Nations Messenger of Peace because of his work in developing countries. He has been involved in raising funds for the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center in Phoenix, and has also supported the Special Olympics and the Make a Wish Foundation among other organizations. He is the embodiment of what it means to be a champion.

Below are two Ali-related links. The first is the entire telecast of his 1964 bout with Sonny Liston. The second is ‘Muhammad Ali (The Meaning of Christmas)’” an excellent 2003 song by New Jersey’s own Greg Trooper.

Ali-Liston 1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nMlsT_3Nco

Muhammad Ali (The Meaning of Christmas) – Greg Trooper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FVRIWBSQXg

ROBERTO CLEMENTE: I was just 14 when Clemente died in a Dec. 31, 1972 plane crash while delivering aid to earthquake victims in Nicauragua. While I was old enough to remember the assassination deaths of President John F. Kennedy, Senator Robert Kennedy, and Martin Luther King Jr., the Clemente tragedy marked the first time a well-known person’s death had a major effect on me. Since I had watched him play baseball so often on television I somehow thought I knew him. Just three months earlier I was in front of the TV when he got his 3,000th and final hit against the Mets' Jon Matlack. And who didn’t admire his superhuman performance during the 1971 World Series, especially in Game Six? But it turned out that I didn’t know about the sense of humanity that drove Clemente when he wasn’t playing baseball. His death didn’t make sense to me, and I must have spent a week walking around in a daze as I tried to sort it out.

On the field, Clemente hit .331 during his 12 peak years (1961-72) while setting records for most assists by a right fielder and most Post-World War II triples. But those things were secondary to the deep amount of caring he had for other people. He is a true hero who made the world a better place during his 38 years on it.

This brief clip (less than two minutes) spotlights Clemente’s Game Six heroics in the 1971 World Series. It’s amazing stuff, especially the throw at the end.

Roberto Clemente in the sixth game of the 1971 World Series

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=roberto+clemente

VIN SCULLY: Now in his 66th year in the Dodgers’ broadcast booth, Scully is the ultimate baseball lifer. The game has changed many times over since he called his first game in 1950, yet Scully not only remains on the job but continues to excel. At age 25 in 1952 he became the youngest person to ever call a World Series game (the record still stands), and has called well over 11,000 games in his unparalleled career, Scully is commonly recognized as the greatest baseball announcer ever, not because of his durability but because no one has ever done it better. It’s going to feel mighty weird when he finally hangs ‘em up.

Weird Scully fact: Although he played center field as a student at Fordham University, Scully never saw a live major league game until calling his first Dodger game in 1950. In fact, it wasn't until 2004 when he and then-Dodgers owner Frank McCourt attended a game at Fenway Park that Scully went to a pro baseball game as a spectator. Scully and McCourt took in another game at Fenway in 2010.

Here are two Scully clips. The first is his famous ninth-inning call of Sandy Koufax’s perfect game in 1965. Sheer poetry. The second is way longer: It’s a complete radio broadcast of a Dodgers-Cubs game from 1957, the Dodgers’ last season in Brooklyn. Scully and Jerry Doggett call the action while Sandy Koufax is on the mound for the Dodgers. Baseball fans might want to put three hours aside and check this out.

Vin Scully calling the ninth inning of Sandy Koufax’s perfect game

Full radio broadcast of Dodgers-Cubs game, 1957

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w7Kt1vo-3Y

Reactions: Joe_T
Baseball. favorite player was Mattingly. But the best I have ever seen was Ken Griffey Jr

Basketball. Larry Bird

Football Earl Campbell

Scully's voice hasn't changed a bit in the 50 years since that clip. Ageless wonder and probably the best broadcaster ever.

So if I had to add a second favorite it would be:

Pete Rose

Nobody played the game harder or with more passion. He bet on baseball, his own team. Every player should have to bet on his own team, i.e., their compensation should be in some part based on how well their TEAM does!!

I was in Cooperstown, for the 1st and only time, the year Rose broke Ty Cobb's record. They kept a little sign out front updating his #s each day with Cobb's right next to it. Kind of ironic now given the fact that he's since been banned. I think Manfred will ultimately let him in, I just hope it's not posthumously.

Was a little too young to truly appreciate his playing days, but love all the highlights of him sliding head-first about 3 feet off the ground with his hair blown back and that crazed look in his eyes. Playing the game that way was what caused me to become such a big Nails fan, and I modeled myself after him when I played in high school. (sans the Juice, of course, otherwise maybe I would have been drafted :)).

I was in Cooperstown, for the 1st and only time, the year Rose broke Ty Cobb's record. They kept a little sign out front updating his #s each day with Cobb's right next to it. Kind of ironic now given the fact that he's since been banned. I think Manfred will ultimately let him in, I just hope it's not posthumously.

Was a little too young to truly appreciate his playing days, but love all the highlights of him sliding head-first about 3 feet off the ground with his hair blown back and that crazed look in his eyes. Playing the game that way was what caused me to become such a big Nails fan, and I modeled myself after him when I played in high school. (sans the Juice, of course, otherwise maybe I would have been drafted :)).

So if I had to add a second favorite it would be:

Pete Rose

Nobody played the game harder or with more passion. He bet on baseball, his own team. Every player should have to bet on his own team, i.e., their compensation should be in some part based on how well their TEAM does!!

Although he was from another era, Joe Di Maggio fits that mold. Joe played the game as hard as anyone whoever played. Joe was absolutely miserable after a loss. Joe also got on his teammates to play hard, because if they didn't, "they were taking money out his pocket." When Yogi was a rookie he made the mistake of sitting out the second game of a double header after catching the first game in 105 degree heat. That didn't sit well with Joe D, especially since the Yanks lost the second game. He approached Berra after the loss, and practically skinned Berra alive. Yogi then went on to set a record for most games caught by a catcher.

When Pete Rose was managing, he was severely criticized for the way he would blow through relief pitchers. Now we know why he was doing that. Betting on baseball is wrong for players and managers, even when betting on your own team. He agreed to a lifetime ban, and should not be eligible for Cooperstown until the day after he dies.

My three favorites, not necessarily the best are:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Kelso
3. Casey Stengel

Willie Mays was the greatest baseball player & probably the best athlete I ever saw, but he was not one of my favorites since he played for the hated Giants. Yes as a kid growing up a Brooklyn Dodger fan in their closing years in NY we hated the Giants even more than the hated Yankees.

Anyway my three favorite players would be Duke Snider, Muhammed Ali and Joe Nameth. Yes I know on a previous thread I said Leroy Kelly was my favorite FB player but Nameth transended his sport just as Ali did.

Tom K

Willie Mays was the greatest baseball player & probably the best athlete I ever saw, but he was not one of my favorites since he played for the hated Giants. Yes as a kid growing up a Brooklyn Dodger fan in their closing years in NY we hated the Giants even more than the hated Yankees.

Anyway my three favorite players would be Duke Snider, Muhammed Ali and Joe Nameth. Yes I know on a previous thread I said Leroy Kelly was my favorite FB player but Nameth transended his sport just as Ali did.

Tom K
Tom - I know you're a Met fan but curious why you didn't stay with the Dodgers? I know a lot of Dodger and NY Giants fans adopted the Mets as their new team but always found it interesting how some followed the franchises even though they moved to the other side of the country. I imagine I would have adopted the new, local team as well. Especially back then when there was no way to follow non-local teams other than checking box scores in the paper, and from what I remember a lot of the west coast games ended too late to make the paper the next morning.

I almost met Ali at Westchester Airport in 1995 . I say almost because my friend and I approached him to shake his hand and stopped short of doing so after seeing the confused look in his eyes. Had to google it, but looks like he was 11 years in to his battle with Parkinson's at the time.

When Pete Rose was managing, he was severely criticized for the way he would blow through relief pitchers. Now we know why he was doing that. Betting on baseball is wrong for players and managers, even when betting on your own team. He agreed to a lifetime ban, and should not be eligible for Cooperstown until the day after he dies.
Jim - curious what your thought process is here? Is it to not reward him while he is living because of his transgressions, which include his emphatic denials until he wanted to make $ off his book? I can see both sides of the argument for and against letting him in, but if you think he deserves to get in, why not let him experience it? Respect your opinion, just curious.

NOLAN RYAN- Simply a monster... 324 wins while playing on mostly mediocre teams, SEVEN no hitters, 12 one-hitters, 5,714 Ks, a four-decade man. First ballot inductee.

HANK AARON- The true home run king with 755. More impressive, however, are 2,297 RBIs and 2,174 runs scored all while batting .305 for his career.

REYNALDO NEHAMIAH- I'm a big fan of track and field. Nehamiah, who is from NJ, is my all-time favorite. A dominant, sleek hurdler with the strength of a linebacker. Was number one in the world for years. Sadly, the boycott of the 1980 Olympics kept him from likely winning gold.

NOLAN RYAN- Simply a monster... 324 wins while playing on mostly mediocre teams, SEVEN no hitters, 12 one-hitters, 5,714 Ks, a four-decade man. First ballot inductee.

HANK AARON- The true home run king with 755. More impressive, however, are 2,297 RBIs and 2,174 runs scored all while batting .305 for his career.

REYNALDO NEHAMIAH- I'm a big fan of track and field. Nehamiah, who is from NJ, is my all-time favorite. A dominant, sleek hurdler with the strength of a linebacker. Was number one in the world for years. Sadly, the boycott of the 1980 Olympics kept him from likely winning gold.
Nolan Ryan's career stats are crazy. He nearly lost 300 games as well, walked a ton of batters (led the league 8 times), but because of his stuff somehow kept is career WHIP at 1.25. Also despite pitching in 4 different decades, only won 20 games twice. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ryanno01.shtml

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT