ADVERTISEMENT

Freak

In error I first linked a Davis tweet and almost imm changed it to Galis. Unfortunately within seconds someone commented on Davis so I deleted the comment as it would not have made any sense to our readers.

Just posting this to explain to our member why I deleted his post.

In error I first linked a Davis tweet and almost imm changed it to Galis. Unfortunately within seconds someone commented on Davis so I deleted the comment as it would not have made any sense to our readers.

Just posting this to explain to our member why I deleted his post.
I’m too fast for you Dan…lol

Reactions: Halldan1
A shame this player doesn't seem to get the love he deserved from the fanbase. Without an ounce of doubt one of the best players I have ever seen don the Pirate Blue.

He admittedly made a mistake as a freshman and quit the team, perhaps the reason that some fans don't give him the love he deserved.

He had told Hartwick College in Oneonta NY that he was coming--when Hartwick coach sent an assistant to see how he did at check in found out he enrolled at SHU--the Hartwick coach had a Greek background and used to go on how Gallis was the Michael Jordon of hoops in Greece

He admittedly made a mistake as a freshman and quit the team, perhaps the reason that some fans don't give him the love he deserved.
Not that at all … most fans just don’t recall that era. Bad timing in missing out on the Big East. At least Danny C got to be a part of that.

Reactions: hallwins
Here is a Galis tidbit of my broadcasting hoops games on WSOU in the mid 70's. We were playing Tenn. in a tourney (Bernie and Ernie show) in a tournament. I asked Raf as part of our Pirate Tip-Off pre-game show how he was going to stop Grunfeld, his comment was vintage Raf - "I'm going to put a Greek in is jock."

Nick was a hard nosed defender and an unbelievable offensive talent. One of the best, maybe the best, SH guard ever. Danny C, who played 1 season with him, may arguably be better.
Both played before the 3 point line and both could hit a 3 with no problem. Danny’s gaming winning 2 falling backwards out of bounds at the buzzer vs Princeton was classic at Walsh. SH trailed for most of the game and never led in the 2nd half until Danny’s game winning “2”.

Not that at all … most fans just don’t recall that era. Bad timing in missing out on the Big East. At least Danny C got to be a part of that.
You have to be in your very late 60s and older for Galis to even register. Hell, I’m almost 50 and cannot find any tape of Galis in my B/W archives.

375px-OAKA1010436.JPG

Nik Galis Olympic Arena in Greece--any other Hall player have an arena named after him/her?

There was this great magazine stand in the Pan Am Bldg. At the end of the summer I would start stopping by to see if any college hoops mags were out yet. This is around 1990 I assume. One day, no US stuff yet, but I pick up a mag about European hoops and see our Nik talked about like he was Michael Jordan. For good reason of course, cause in Greece, that was his stature.

You have to be in your very late 60s and older for Galis to even register. Hell, I’m almost 50 and cannot find any tape of Galis in my B/W archives.
He’s not that old! ….. That would mean I‘m that old, and I’m not there yet. It’s coming fast enough as it is!

Nick was a hard nosed defender and an unbelievable offensive talent. One of the best, maybe the best, SH guard ever. Danny C, who played 1 season with him, may arguably be better.
Both played before the 3 point line and both could hit a 3 with no problem. Danny’s gaming winning 2 falling backwards out of bounds at the buzzer vs Princeton was classic at Walsh. SH trailed for most of the game and never led in the 2nd half until Danny’s game winning “2”.
Was there for this one too. Geez, I’m old.

Reactions: PJVegas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT