ADVERTISEMENT

His best work -- Jerry on the game

My memory is telling me Kevin Regan played soccer for us when Menza was the coach. Am I remembering correctly?

Did Al say "I'll make it?"

JB was a hell of a transfer.Now have to get ready for next year.KR has many options hope Davis and Wasu come back.Sanders too as it looks like he's turned the corner.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Outstanding coverage by Jerry. Question for the board.

If ISU had made the NCAA and the first round site was Indianapolis or Louisville or Lexington do they have anywhere near a crowd like last night.? That place was full of juice last night is right!

Outstanding coverage by Jerry. Question for the board.

If ISU had made the NCAA and the first round site was Indianapolis or Louisville or Lexington do they have anywhere near a crowd like last night.? That place was full of juice last night is right!
Sure. Why not? I doubt so many tickets would have been on the market.

I expect few will agree, but last week a poster asked the question would you rather lose in the Dance in the first round or win the NIT? I stated that I would rather win the NIT.

The school got exposure. The players were rewarded as they won 5 additional games and went out with a bang. Sha is once again a media darling for his accomplishments. And maybe best of all Mike McBride's Onward Setonia is doing very well.

I won't even get into how the fanbase has enjoyed these last 2 weeks,

Go out a loser in your last 2 games or win 5 games in a row and bring home a trophy. At least for me..a no brainer.

I expect few will agree, but last week a poster asked the question would you rather lose in the Dance in the first round or win the NIT? I stated that I would rather win the NIT.

The school got exposure. The players were rewarded as they won 5 additional games and went out with a bang. Sha is once again a media darling for his accomplishments. And maybe best of all Mike McBride's Onward Setonia is doing very well.

Go out a loser in your last 2 games or win 5 games in a row and bring home a trophy. At least for me..a no brainer.
I feel the same way. Playing with a chip on your shoulder to prove you belong is the Seton Hall MO. Not that I’d choose this each year, but with this team it was the better path.

Happy for the kids. They committed to play and played how an older team that does that should. Sha did a good job with this group before the NIT run so I don’t see how the “media darling” thing amounts to much of anything.

Still take NCAA every day and twice on Sunday even with a loss in the first game. Had we not gotten our doors blown off by SJU in the Big East tourney or not had the disaster OOC it happens.

All in all I’m happy with the season. Got to watch extra hoops even though it was the NIT. Beginning of the year I thought we were an NIT team and that’s where we landed except we won the whole damn thing, to quote Jake Taylor in Major League.

You take NCAA, but this was almost as good. Senior team goes out with a five game streak and NIT Championship, Walsh excitement, exposure, exciting championship game and NIL bounce. That’s not bad.

I still take the ncaa if nothing more than the financial rewards but agree the team got great exposure especially the last 2 games as they were stand alone National TV.
Pitino and his arrogance never gave his kids that chance..

Losing first round vs. winning NIT is a close call for me. Except if it was that TCU loss. :) Then give me nit. I did enjoy the extra games and exposure. Getting to round of 32 in tournament- edge to NCAA. Sweet 16 not even close. Now that we won NIT, hoping for an NCAA run soon. Coach has it in him if we get a bid. With right players of course.

There are exceptions to everything and this is one of them.

You don’t want to make it a regular thing, but first-round exits have been too much of a happening, and don’t forget how religiously everyone follows bracket projections for two months leading into it. It would have been viewed as just another disappointing ending.

In contrast, this team won five games in the NIT to win it for the first time in 71 years, and did it in very compelling fashion.

This team will be remembered at SHU forever, and deservedly so. The rest of the world might not think it’s a big deal, but in South Orange it will be. Which is nice.

I had asked the same question to my friends. This NIT run was really fun. And it is always nice cutting down nets. For me, i would rather win NIT than lose by 27 to TCU. I think what also makes this NIT sweeter is the fact that most people think we got screwed and should have been in tournament. Nothing says #$%&@%# more to the committee than us going out and winning the NIT.

I would love a statistic on team's that just missed out on the tourney, and how they did in NIT. I can't imagine there are too many teams that took the gut punch we took on selection Sunday, and then went out and won the NIT. Of course, most of those team's were not coached by Sha. Go Pirates.

You don’t want to make it a regular thing, but first-round exits have been too much of a happening, and don’t forget how religiously everyone follows bracket projections for two months leading into it. It would have been viewed as just another disappointing ending.

In contrast, this team won five games in the NIT to win it for the first time in 71 years, and did it in very compelling fashion.

This team will be remembered at SHU forever, and deservedly so. The rest of the world might not think it’s a big deal, but in South Orange it will be. Which is nice.
Agreed..... this team will be remembered for a long time ....Love the fact another banner goes up in Walsh.....and as a cherry on top, I think that clip of Sha consoling Robbie Avila after the game should be shown to every recruit and his family.

Agree with this. I got tired of the entry into the tourney only to go home with our tail between our legs too often.

The Wofford game, the TCU game especially after TCU said they were glad they drew SHU….Arkansas was a game we gave away.

I have no idea how they would have fared if they got into the tourney this year. Maybe it would have been something special.

But I think that although this team may be completely disbanded after this season, Sha is the type of personality and competitor that this experience makes him an even better coach.

Seeing an SHU team finish strong is a very welcome sight.

I think a run like this actually helps Seton Hall’s cause for future consideration into the NCAA’s as long as Sha is at the helm.

Tough call. For a team with so many seniors it was a great way to go out.. from the celebration of them at Walsh vs. UNLV to winning the championship and coming home to a welcoming crowd. Heck of a way to go out and probably better than losing a game on Thursday afternoon at 2 pm.

The NCAA Tournament always, even if one and done IMO.

However there are some moments where something else can be as/more impactful than a one-and-done. I think our 2016 BET run is one example given it had been 10 years in the dark and this 2024 NIT is feeling along the same lines given the landscape of NIL, etc., and the doubts that dogged SHU coming into this season. Plus puts Holloway on the March radar again and he’s our most marketable aspect.

You nailed it. That's why it's so important that we help out Sha and ensure he stays here as long as possible.

Eventually some school is going to try and steal him from us. Sha is an incredibly loyal person so the chance to leave will be made more than because of just money, But even Holloway can only turn down so much. Let's show him the love now before it's too late.

Reactions: Piratz
So, I was in the group that initially did not want any part of the NIT. I did not believe we would put our best foot forward. That almost happened, but playing at Walsh and Dawes saving the day set everything in motion.. At the end of the day it was a tremendous opportunity and The Hall took advantage every way possible. The fan base was dialed in. This may have created some future long term fans within the student body. The ratings were very high for the recent NIT event. Hopefully, guys like Coleman and Sanders have found a home. Now the most important thing will be if Sha can retain core players and attract some Star power in the Portal. So interesting to see how we use the NIL and what we look like next November.

So, I was in the group that initially did not want any part of the NIT. I did not believe we would put our best foot forward. That almost happened, but playing at Walsh and Dawes saving the day set everything in motion.. At the end of the day it was a tremendous opportunity and The Hall took advantage every way possible. The fan base was dialed in. This may have created some future long term fans within the student body. The ratings were very high for the recent NIT event. Hopefully, guys like Coleman and Sanders have found a home. Now the most important thing will be if Sha can retain core players and attract some Star power in the Portal. So interesting to see how we use the NIL and what we look like next November.
++++ Glad you came around. My son said it best........ "Watching SHU in the NIT reminded me why I like college basketball."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT