Jared Rhoden to Announce Saturday

Ready for a reach?

Anthony Nelson committed to SHU Tuesday

103bc9a673d5ca51b9612a1f11c517c5.jpg

I Dream of Jeannie

Will JR, AKA Jared Rhoden?

larry-hagman-as-jr-ewing-136394522184103901-141120160129.jpg

Dallas

Yeah, I think some of our younger readers won't remember J.R. and I'm sure they won't remember him as Anthony Nelson in I Dream of Jeannie.

Hey...I watched Nick at Nite...but I guess I am not a young reader anymore :-(

Neither am I. I watched Soupy Sales
When I see F...

When I lived in NYC in the 70s/80s, I used to see Soupy around 2nd Ave in the low 30s. And Rocky Graziano too. Both liked being recognized.

soupy_sales_1023.jpg
MV5BNzI5NzIzNjM3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTUzNTU2._V1_UY317_CR18,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Hey Dick...were you a White Fang kinda guy or a Black Tooth one?

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Neither am I. I watched Soupy Sales
I watched it when he got suspended (not fired i believe) when TV was still all live. Great kids show. Classic stuff with white fang et al. That wallet comment netted charity a lot of $$$ since it was all cash & mostly no return addresses.

Last edited:
There's a bit I watched on TV where I was too young to understand what was really happening. Soupy at some time during every show went to the door at the back of the set when someone rang the bell. Usually it was (sight unseen) one of the guys who played Black Tooth or White Fang and they played off Soupy being the straight man. But on this one occasion, which I believe was Soupy's birthday, an actual topless stripper was the person who rang the bell.

Now understand, the TV viewer could never see who was at the door. Similar to Soupy's dogs you would just see the person's hand or arms, nothing more. But like I said this time, on live TV, the young girl was topless even though the viewers didn't know that as they couldn't see her. I remember watching it and not understanding what was so funny as Soupy was laughing historically. He couldn't even get out his lines babbling incoherently. Many, many years later I read something that explained what was happening.

That was one heck of a 'kids' show.

OK, just found the bit. It's pretty similar to what I remembered, but not exact.

There never was a written script for the show; Soupy and Clyde [puppeteer Clyde Adler, Soupy’s straight man/sidekick] would just work out what they were going to do, giving the director a bare-bones outline for camera angles and sound cues. The bit was for the ET man to play a recording of a woman screaming. Soupy would then run to the door, open it, and look down to see a pair of women’s shoes being pulled by fishing line, running from a pair of men’s shoes. Blackout, cut to commercial.

The studio that day was filled with curious onlookers who were in on the joke. Soupy knew that something was up, but he wasn’t quite sure what. The show started precisely at noon, and ran smoothly. At about 12:27 Soupy, as rehearsed, heard a woman’s scream. He ran to the door, opened it, and instead of a pair of women’s shoes saw a nude woman wearing nothing but a smile. Soupy stole a quick glance at the master monitor, hoping that the curvaceous cutie’s image wasn’t being broadcast live over the airwaves. Sure enough, to his horror the monitor showed exactly what Soupy had feared- a smiling nude woman. The engineers were clever enough to patch a different camera angle into the monitor, making Soupy think that thousands of Detroit kiddies were at home eating their lunches in front of the TV while getting a lesson in female anatomy. In reality, what the kids saw was a speechless Soupy standing next to an open door, nothing more. Soupy saw what he thought was his career passing before his eyes.

I am sorry I said anything about Soup Sales. I should have said I watched the Abbott and Costello show,

We are in a holding pattern. What else about recruits is there to talk about?

With that said, while I read that Nelson has an okay shot from the outside, his strength is attacking the rim and dishing off. My am hoping that he develops a good outside shot, so much so that the is considered a top 100 next spring.

And although I also preferred Moore, now our sights are set on Rhoden. I am hoping he hits the weight room and experiences a growth spurt (1-2 inches) that also places him in the top 100.

I am not real worked up on rankings because they are pretty much subjective. But getting someone in the top 100 might indicate you are getting a pretty good player that perhaps can contribute immediately.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
Did you do as he asked when you were a child and go into daddy's wallet and take out those little green pieces of paper and send it to him?

Those live on air comments were rumored to have gotten him fired.

https://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/soupymoney.asp

Others had rumored that Soupy got fired over his joke about taking his wife to a baseball game. I won't mention the punch line, but if you Google 'Soupy' and 'baseball game' you should find out what it is.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
Soupy was a terrific game show participant, thought he really shined on Match Game with all time great Gene Rayburn. Show got a little racy for 3:30 weekdays, used to catch it after school.

Reactions: ShuVol
Has the "so and so is good friends with the recruit" suggestion ever helped?

Desi and Whitehead. They lived together and once Desi played well in Florida his senior year under the watchful eye of Fred Hill we offered early in the 2nd signing period.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT