ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry C — Introduction No Later Than Wed

No one will know unless Shaheen leaks it. This is huge advantage of being a private.
Not true as a nonprofit salaries are public. As I mentioned before there was a nun at Seton Hall that every year checked my Dads salary while he was EVC from '85+97
They notify you when it's checked

Not true as a nonprofit salaries are public. As I mentioned before there was a nun at Seton Hall that every year checked my Dads salary while he was EVC from '85+97
They notify you when it's checked
With a lag salary will but terms won’t be disclosed.

Carino should have waited to post about the planned press conference until tomorrow. His local tweet got picked up nationally, by an unknowing public, who knows nothing about the well timed succession plan. Creating some temporary flack for Sha and Seton Hall, about not giving the Peacocks time.

Carino should have waited to post about the planned press conference until tomorrow. His local tweet got picked up nationally, by an unknowing public, who knows nothing about the well timed succession plan. Creating some temporary flack for Sha and Seton Hall, about not giving the Peacocks time.
Carino is not on our payroll. He loves the Hall, but it's his job to report the news. He did no wrong.

While I agree with the idea to hold off, everyone in the college basketball world is reporting it. Why should Jerry be last. Everyone leaking stuff is ridiculous. Leaking Willard to Maryland, leaking Sha to SHU it’s all disgusting in my opinion. Let Sha have a week in Jersey City. Let them celebrate everything they accomplished without a cloud over it because that may never happen again in any of our lifetimes. It’s going to be a flat out awkward moment with all the talk being Sha to SHU. I love you peacock nation, I love run baby run, but I gotta go sign a contract at another school in the next couple hours see ya.

Carino is not on our payroll. He loves the Hall, but it's his job to report the news. He did no wrong.
He had the exact opportunity to ask the same question of Kevin Willard and opted to go for the feel good question about Sha beating Kentucky instead.

It was Zack Braziller who did his job in reporting the news in order to get some more definitive clarity from Willard amongst swirling rumors.

this was nothing of similar ilk. It is a forgone conclusion that Sha will be taking the job at the Hall, this was not the appropriate moment to put him on the spot for it.
It was not going to be ground breaking news if he said yes, he wasn’t going to say yes since he has already deflected properly on several occasions, and he seemed clearly annoyed that Jerry even asked the question.

It is Jerry’s job to beat other writers. It is the worst kept secret. No one is surprised.

Reactions: HallLine69
I think Jerry letting Willard skate on by if not for Zach & trying to "break" the Shaheen move is an interesting & valid point. Jerry was always kind of in Willard's pocket whether he realizes it or not.

This is the biggest slam dunk in coaching change in years. Maybe since Roy Williams was asked if he was leaving Kansas for UNC. Ian Eagle talked about it as the game was ending. If anyone thought Holloway wasn't leaving St Peter's for Seton Hall, they do now.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
They are planning for a parade/key to the city ceremony. Wonder if they hold off until after

Reactions: ShuVol
While I agree with the idea to hold off, everyone in the college basketball world is reporting it. Why should Jerry be last. Everyone leaking stuff is ridiculous. Leaking Willard to Maryland, leaking Sha to SHU it’s all disgusting in my opinion. Let Sha have a week in Jersey City. Let them celebrate everything they accomplished without a cloud over it because that may never happen again in any of our lifetimes. It’s going to be a flat out awkward moment with all the talk being Sha to SHU. I love you peacock nation, I love run baby run, but I gotta go sign a contract at another school in the next couple hours see ya.
Doesn't work that way. Seton Hall, or any school in a similar situation needs a coach hired ASAP. Recruiting is the lifeblood of any college program and in this critical time with the portal now open you must contact players imm.

SHU has no staff right now. They need one now. Today, not next week.

He had the exact opportunity to ask the same question of Kevin Willard and opted to go for the feel good question about Sha beating Kentucky instead.

It was Zack Braziller who did his job in reporting the news in order to get some more definitive clarity from Willard amongst swirling rumors.

this was nothing of similar ilk. It is a forgone conclusion that Sha will be taking the job at the Hall, this was not the appropriate moment to put him on the spot for it.
It was not going to be ground breaking news if he said yes, he wasn’t going to say yes since he has already deflected properly on several occasions, and he seemed clearly annoyed that Jerry even asked the question.
Nope. The question was asked multiple times during the end of season in the post game pressers. Willard's answer was always the same giving no info. Eventually that questions was not asked anymore until the final loss of the season. Jerry's a pro and didn't ask imm in deference to the team that night. Players that he respects as much as any other member of the media. Someone else did and you got the no/yes response that we all read about.

Also, Zach and Jerry are close. They often rotate questions that are not breaking news when it doesn't matter who asks the question. They have a great working relationship and because of that all SHU fans benefit.

Doesn't work that way. Seton Hall, or any school in a similar situation needs a coach hired ASAP. Recruiting is the lifeblood of any college program and in this critical time with the portal now open you must contact players imm.

Exactly, he needs to hit the FF job fair running. Still hot tv interviews coming all week will be equal to thousands in-house visits at once, especially if they bring him in the studio

I think Jerry letting Willard skate on by if not for Zach & trying to "break" the Shaheen move is an interesting & valid point. Jerry was always kind of in Willard's pocket whether he realizes it or not.
Thank goodness for Zack asking Willard the question. Otherwise Willard probably would have snuck out of the building without saying a word.

I understand it. I don't agree with it. It's part of the ugly side of the sport. I don't like the idea of not letting Sha celebrate with SPU, nor would any of us liked reports coming in during the flight home from Seattle that PJ was finalizing a contract elsewhere.

I'd like to see it announced Tuesday or Wed. Give Sha a chance to sit down with his SP players and tell them face to face what he has to do. Press conference can come after that. No one will mind if Sha is in a parade at some point in the next several days. Assuming he has an idea of what his staff will look like to some degree.

Nope. The question was asked multiple times during the end of season in the post game pressers. Willard's answer was always the same giving no info. Eventually that questions was not asked anymore until the final loss of the season. Jerry's a pro and didn't ask imm in deference to the team that night. Players that he respects as much as any other member of the media. Someone else did and you got the no/yes response that we all read about.

Also, Zach and Jerry are close. They often rotate questions that are not breaking news when it doesn't matter who asks the question. They have a great working relationship and because of that all SHU fans benefit.
I must be off in my recollection of those end of season press conferences. I don’t remember seeing anything reported or directly quoted from Willard saying that he was staying or that he would not address the nature of a question related to rumors about Maryland specifically. Could you point me to that particular article by Jerry, Zach, JP, or anyone local who captured that quote?

I do remember the general response from the board, being that there was no way Willard would be leaving his position as head coach of Seton Hall.

I also recall the intensity and speculation of the rumors vastly changed from beginning of March when we were on the 5 game winning streak after beating Creighton vs where we were in the NCAA tournament. So the relevance of the question then vs now was absolutely worth having to ask at that point regardless of the performance.

And if the respect factor was so high for him then Jerry should have modeled that same professionalism for Sha yesterday. There shouldn’t be a double standard.

I was in the press conferences and the question was continuously asked. At least once on the record and probably (hard to remember) off the record multiple time after the presser was concluded as well.

Willard would always smile and deflect as well he should have.

As for specifics (links) I don't have time to look for them.

The speculation about Willard staying has been answered in detail on the Trove to the satisfaction of all the readers there. The original comments were not made in a vacuum.

Don’t think it’s happening today or even tomorrow.

I was in the press conferences and the question was continuously asked. At least once on the record and probably (hard to remember) off the record multiple time after the presser was concluded as well.

Willard would always smile and deflect as well he should have.

As for specifics (links) I don't have time to look for them.

The speculation about Willard staying has been answered in detail on the Trove to the satisfaction of all the readers there. The original comments were not made in a vacuum.
Ok I believe you from that first hand perspective.

But this is what I don’t get and this is not directed at you. But more of a shot at the protective shield Willard was able to create with the media.

1. If it was on the record, I would have remembered reading about it. So I don’t need you to go look it up. But if anyone would like to point it out where I missed it I would appreciate it.

2. Off the record? We just talked about the professionalism about what these individuals are required to do, which is report.
And they asked him the question in a manner in which any response could NOT be written about in an accountable manner. Even if the response was going to be “at this time I am committed to coaching Seton Hall”, or “we just won 5 games in a row don’t ask me that type of question”. The question needed to be asked ON THE RECORD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT