ADVERTISEMENT

Kadary Richmond to Seton Hall!

You just can’t help yourself, can you.

Why pick the 9-10th guy on the bench as that potential bench player earning a starting spot? I think if the starting 5 is Richmond, Harris, Rhoden, Yetna, Obiagu, then potential bench players who may start could be Cale, Samuel, Weston? There’s 3 right there without mentioning Long. Long, Conway and Powell will be fighting to get on the court, and maybe even Ngandu. But that’s practice depth and future potential.

But by all means, kick the kid to the portal.
Cale, Samuel were major rotation players last year and Cale started. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them start. Weston a high level recruit should get minutes. If Long sees the floor then the quality of this recruiting haul is overblown. On past performance of transfers, and expectations from Conway it should be a serious upgrade.

Cale, Samuel were major rotation players last year and Cale started. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them start. Weston a high level recruit should get minutes. If Long sees the floor then the quality of this recruiting haul is overblown. On past performance of transfers, and expectations from Conway it should be a serious upgrade.
Let it go. You have no idea how this will shake out. The players themselves will determine who gets minutes. Did you forsee Reynolds going from walk on to major rotation player three straight years? I’m excited about our freshmen but none of them has played significant basketball for over a year.

You just can’t help yourself, can you.

Why pick the 9-10th guy on the bench as that potential bench player earning a starting spot? I think if the starting 5 is Richmond, Harris, Rhoden, Yetna, Obiagu, then potential bench players who may start could be Cale, Samuel, Weston? There’s 3 right there without mentioning Long. Long, Conway and Powell will be fighting to get on the court, and maybe even Ngandu. But that’s practice depth and future potential.

But by all means, kick the kid to the portal.
Sami, I been busy working, but loving all this news we have acquired and I agree with your main "lineup" and I believe that Cale and Weston will be our 6/7 guys who when the reserves come in we do NOT lose a step whatsoever....

Reactions: chiswell
Let it go. You have no idea how this will shake out. The players themselves will determine who gets minutes. Did you forsee Reynolds going from walk on to major rotation player three straight years? I’m excited about our freshmen but none of them has played significant basketball for over a year.
No I didn't forsee Reynolds playing at all....and if we had the talent we have coming on on those teams he wouldn't have. I commend what he achieved but be honest, we weren't chock full of talent at the PG position.

I think I am going to post in this thread every day cause it feels so good seeing KADARY RICHMOND TO SETON HALL.
If we could choose to have any transfer commit to us this year, it would be a very short list of players I'd even consider before Richmond. For a team hurting for a legitimate PG he's an answer to a prayer.

- he's a natural PG who makes plays for himself and others off the dribble
- his handle and change of direction are very good
- can get in the paint, keep his dribble and uses his length to finish over defenders
- his size/length are elite at 6'5"+ with a 6'9" wingspan
- great feel for the game
- has legitimate NBA potential and 4-years of eligibility with a year in ACC
- is a terror in the passing lanes with his anticipation and length
- makes good decisions against the press and in transition

Questions?
- How will he shoot the 3 when teams back off him?
- How will he fare as a man defender against smaller, quicker guards?
- How will he adjust to his new teammates and being "The Man" full time?
- Is he in condition to carry a large workload on both sides of the ball?

Long's minutes have next to nothing to do with Samuel, Cale and Weston. None of them run the point and Cale is a guard on the roster only.

I disagree that if Long sees the floor then the recruits are overblown. That presumes the player we saw last year never improves one bit. A bit factor that Reynolds got more playing time year over year is his development as a player. If he stood still from year one to today, he never would have seen the floor.

Long's minutes have next to nothing to do with Samuel, Cale and Weston. None of them run the point and Cale is a guard on the roster only.

I disagree that if Long sees the floor then the recruits are overblown. That presumes the player we saw last year never improves one bit. A bit factor that Reynolds got more playing time year over year is his development as a player. If he stood still from year one to today, he never would have seen the floor.
it means long wont find minutes at the 2 either

Going to be fun times if 2 games into the year and Long is earning minutes with hard work at practice. This board will be going nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHallguy2
Going to be fun times if 2 games into the year and Long is earning minutes with hard work at practice. This board will be going nuts.
itd be an awesome surprise because he didnt earn any minutes with hard work at practice when it was just shavar ahead of him.

We see players show growth , confidence , maturity and improved basketball skills from their freshman year to their sophomore year as the college experience becomes familiar to them , they adapt to what it takes to be successful on the court and how to deal with both the academic demands and being on a BE team with everything that requires . On the other side of the coin we see those freshman who never make the required adjustments. Lets not write off any player who may not have seen any meaningful minutes last year and wait and see what player shows up this year .

Coming from a school who has one of the dirtiest coaches in all of BB.

When I spoke to Greg Shemitz of Big East Briefs many years ago we went out to eat and I asked him about the dirtiest coach in the game. His response, Boeheim and it ain't close.
It takes one to know one. Greg Shemitz stole a lot of money from a lot of people. I like many others had a subscription to the paper snail mail version Big East Briefs and was paying I believe around $90 a year. As the internet continued to boom and recruiting info became so much easier to access, his sales were dwindling. The subscription was for something like 6 issues a year, every other month. Around 2000, his issues were stretching longer between them and he was trying to stay afloat. I had just renewed and received an offer that if I upped for another year, I could get one free. Sounded great. I paid and I believe I received one more issue and he shut down about two months later.

Yeah, the internet as he told me that year destroyed his publication. And yes he did all his subscribers wrong, not by folding, but by taking new subscribers right up and until he closed shop.

BTW, how many remember his second in charge (forgot the title)?

It was Tom Konchalski.

You are allowing your blue-goggled fandom to cloud reality. Hurley didn't promise Sanogo anything different than what Willard did. We allowed Tiny Morton to infect our campus; you don't think we told Richmond what he wanted to hear when it comes to playing time? Come on. I don't know why folks get some bent out of shape on this, because everyone does it. If it is to claim some more high ground compared to others because it makes you sleep better at night, fine, but I'm not naive enough to know we operate in the real world.
Your blue goggles glasses stuff is really original. So funny too.

Infect? What did he infect? We have had nothing but good upstanding student athletes during the Willard era.

KW did not promise Sanogo a starting spot. Hurley did. You care to share your source to suggest otherwise?

I don’t know how he landed Kadary but he did, as I hinted the day before Zags

Your blue goggles glasses stuff is really original. So funny too.

Infect? What did he infect? We have had nothing but good upstanding student athletes during the Willard era.

KW did not promise Sanogo a starting spot. Hurley did. You care to share your source to suggest otherwise?

I don’t know how he landed Kadary but he did, as I hinted the day before Zags
I don’t see anything wrong with what we did with Tiny and would gladly do it again. And um....

None of us know who gets promised what. We might get told what someone heard and that may or may not be accurate. I am sure some schools cheat more than us, or more generously, but, and excuse me for saying this, schools who have all the things we wish we had probably don't have to cheat to beat us, or make promises that we won't make. They might take the kid to their arena and see nc banners hanging. Then stop by the practice faciliy. These accusations we make out of whole cloth after we lose a kid drive me a little nuts.

It takes one to know one. Greg Shemitz stole a lot of money from a lot of people. I like many others had a subscription to the paper snail mail version Big East Briefs and was paying I believe around $90 a year. As the internet continued to boom and recruiting info became so much easier to access, his sales were dwindling. The subscription was for something like 6 issues a year, every other month. Around 2000, his issues were stretching longer between them and he was trying to stay afloat. I had just renewed and received an offer that if I upped for another year, I could get one free. Sounded great. I paid and I believe I received one more issue and he shut down about two months later.

I have to agree....same thing happened to me.

I’m sure he will right after you share your source that Hurley offered Sanogo a starting spot. 🙄

(Of course, I suppose that since Sanogo did end up starting, it kind of wouldn’t matter either way. But that’s not Hurley’s patter. His pitch is come here and you’ll get a chance to compete and bring Connecticut back to greatness. Kids seem to be buying into it.)

I’m sure he will right after you share your source that Hurley offered Sanogo a starting spot. 🙄

(Of course, I suppose that since Sanogo did end up starting, it kind of wouldn’t matter either way. But that’s not Hurley’s patter. His pitch is come here and you’ll get a chance to compete and bring Connecticut back to greatness. Kids seem to be buying into it.)
helps when you have 4 national champ banners to overlook being in Storrs

My point wasn't that Cale/weston effect his playing time for long. I'm saying with the talent we brought in I don't think he sees the floor. If we had this level of talent on the team during Reynolds time, the Reynolds Cinderella story never happens.

My point wasn't that Cale/weston effect his playing time for long. I'm saying with the talent we brought in I don't think he sees the floor. If we had this level of talent on the team during Reynolds time, the Reynolds Cinderella story never happens.
Reynolds earned his minutes on the floor in his junior senior because he out played Anthony Nelson in terms of the defense Willard wanted from his backup point guard.

In his senior season one could make the argument either way. If Aiken was healthy and Long was capable of contributing more effectively then Shavar would not have seen prolonged minutes at PG, but he still would have had a substantial role off the bench backing up Cale.

Of course if we had better talent during Reynolds' time the Cinderella story doesn't happen. That goes without saying. On the other hand, when he started here our guards were Carrington and Powell with McKnight sitting out. You can't tell me he didn't learn from those guys. Then he outplayed Anthony Nelson to earn his role in the rotation.

Five years ago, Isaiah Whitehead was starting for the Brooklyn Nets. Now their starting backcourt features James Harden and Kyrie Irving. A big part of the reason Whitehead isn't a Net anymore is the team upgraded the talent at his position while he was there. They brought Spencer Dinwiddie in off the street and he basically took Whitehead's minutes.

You may be right that Long doesn't see the floor. If nothing changes, we have 13 legit D-I players on the roster for this year (including Ngandu). At least two or three of them are likely to see less playing time than you do. At least one of them will probably be a highly ranked player out of high school.

Reactions: flconticello

This and then some.

Of course if we had better talent during Reynolds' time the Cinderella story doesn't happen. That goes without saying. On the other hand, when he started here our guards were Carrington and Powell with McKnight sitting out. You can't tell me he didn't learn from those guys. Then he outplayed Anthony Nelson to earn his role in the rotation.

Five years ago, Isaiah Whitehead was starting for the Brooklyn Nets. Now their starting backcourt features James Harden and Kyrie Irving. A big part of the reason Whitehead isn't a Net anymore is the team upgraded the talent at his position while he was there. They brought Spencer Dinwiddie in off the street and he basically took Whitehead's minutes.

You may be right that Long doesn't see the floor. If nothing changes, we have 13 legit D-I players on the roster for this year (including Ngandu). At least two or three of them are likely to see less playing time than you do. At least one of them will probably be a highly ranked player out of high school.
Agree with almost everything in this post. Only thing is challenge is that Reynolds outplayed Nelson. That's not necessarily true. Nelson was a Willard whipping boy and was benched for every mistake. Reynolds was for whatever reason allowed to play through mistakes... and there were plenty. You can't tell me Nelson didn't have more raw talent.

Agree with almost everything in this post. Only thing is challenge is that Reynolds outplayed Nelson. That's not necessarily true. Nelson was a Willard whipping boy and was benched for every mistake. Reynolds was for whatever reason allowed to play through mistakes... and there were plenty. You can't tell me Nelson didn't have more raw talent.
Reynolds played through mistakes because he played defense. I swear people only watch one end of the court. Every player who plays well defensively will be allowed to play through mistakes. Otherwise you better be Powell good offensively.

Reynolds played through mistakes because he played defense. I swear people only watch one end of the court. Every player who plays well defensively will be allowed to play through mistakes. Otherwise you better be Powell good offensively.
If you don't think Shavar made mistakes in the defensive end your fooling yourself. He played good on-ball defense, yes. He also got caught out of position helping and not been able to get back leaving shooters open for 3. Opposing guards regularly came up with offensive rebounds. Overall he was a good defender buy he definitely was allowed to play through mistakes on both ends of the court.

Reactions: doctorcb12
Maybe, and I'm just thinking out loud here, if Reynolds got more rope than Nelson, it was because he earned that privilege during practice and workouts.

Conversely, that Nelson was Willard's "whipping boy" also may have been directly tied to what he was seeing in practice and not just what was happening in games.

Maybe, and I'm just thinking out loud here, if Reynolds got more rope than Nelson, it was because he earned that privilege during practice and workouts.

Conversely, that Nelson was Willard's "whipping boy" also may have been directly tied to what he was seeing in practice and not just what was happening in games.
In the words of Allen Iverson, "we talking about practice?" Anyone who's played a sport knows you don't get better in practice. You can learn plays, sets etc. But until you get a chance to execute in a game situation it's meaningless.

I can’t believe there’s still any question about Shavar’s defense compared to Nelson.

In the words of Allen Iverson, "we talking about practice?" Anyone who's played a sport knows you don't get better in practice. You can learn plays, sets etc. But until you get a chance to execute in a game situation it's meaningless.
I'm sorry, and trying not to be disrespectful but there are very few posts on this board that I would disagree with more.

Practice at this level is crucial not only as an induvial but as a team.

Add in Willard's one on one workouts and if you don't improve your game, if you don't show you can fit into the team scheme laid out by the staff you will rarely see the court.

It's the actual games where you play (well) only if you're prepared. And that preparation happens behind closed doors unseen by the fanbase.

If you don't think Shavar made mistakes in the defensive end your fooling yourself. He played good on-ball defense, yes. He also got caught out of position helping and not been able to get back leaving shooters open for 3. Opposing guards regularly came up with offensive rebounds. Overall he was a good defender buy he definitely was allowed to play through mistakes on both ends of the court.
Do you know if the game plan was to help or not? Do you know if Willard wanted someone to rotate over who didn’t? If the game plan was to help then he wasn’t out of position the game plan got beat. Instead you just assume. He was a much better defender than Nelson. For that reason he got minutes. If Nelson proved he could defend better than Shavar he would’ve been on the court more. Instead the rotation was Q and Shavar. There’s nothing more to it other than you want to complain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT