ADVERTISEMENT

Kory Holden Update

We are the only team with the geographical area of Delaware. Probably just waiting out the Whitehead decision.

Newark to Newark sounds good.

We are the only team with the geographical area of Delaware. Probably just waiting out the Whitehead decision.

Newark to Newark sounds good.
Excellent point. And the recruiting/signing deadlines don't really come into play with a transfer.

If Whitehead goes pro, I know people want someone to come in that can play right away, but personally I think adding Holden would be huge either way. He is an absolute stud and I am assuming he would have two years to play once eligible. One year with the Fab Five sophomores (minus Whitehead) as seniors and then one year where he can help pass the torch to our next Fab Five, who are hopefully coming in 2018

Reactions: Burnsly
how many open ships do we have assuming Whitehead is here or not here and no one else leaves besides Gordon? Are we looking at 1 or 2 tops for next season?

Holden doesn't make much sense if IW declares because we need someone ASAP.

He looks to be very good though.

how many open ships do we have assuming Whitehead is here or not here and no one else leaves besides Gordon? Are we looking at 1 or 2 tops for next season?

Good question. Gordon is gone and let's say Powell's scholarship takes that spot for discussion's sake. So that's a wash.

It depends on everyone else. Who knows what everyone else is up to these days. It's a different day and age in college basketball with the players. Obviously you have Whitehead's NBA pursuit, but there have been posts here about Braeden Anderson and his Law School focus over basketball, for instance. Plus you have the Jevon Thomas situation.

Wow, we could potentially have 7 JR's on the roster next year (Whitehead, Carrington, Rodriguez, Delgado, Sanogo, Anthony, Thomas).

I think you have to take this kid whether or not IW comes back. He looks like a stud.

Hes planning a visit to shu april 19th also visiting south carolina and baylor.

Via shuhoops.com

Yes, he is a non graduate transfer. He takes up a scholarship in 16-17 and cant play. Can play in 17-18. Would be able to transfer and play anywhere in the 18-19 season. He plays the same position as 17'freshman recruits which we seem to be making ground with. We're not sure if iw will be here next year and we need a replacement for next year. Not sure how many ships we have but would like to use it for TT. I think we got it....

But,

Just an FYI. Because of Syracuse's deep tournament run they may now be back as the favorite for Thompson.

UConn is making a late bid as well. The Hall is still in play but might be slipping.

Reactions: shupat08
Now this kid I would take. LOL

Freshman PG Derryck Thornton will transfer from Duke

• Jeff Goodman
  • Jeff Borzello

Duke freshman Derryck Thornton is transferring, the school announced Sunday.

Thornton, a five-star prospect coming out of high school, started 20 games in his lone season at Duke. He averaged 7.1 points and 2.6 assists, but he saw his minutes fluctuate during most of ACC play despite being the only pure point guard on the roster.

"I have loved my time at Duke, but I want to pursue the opportunity to play college basketball closer to home," Thornton said in a statement released by the school. "I want to thank my teammates and coaches for their support this year. The relationships I have with them will always be special to me."

The Blue Devils are bringing in one of the best recruiting classes in the country next season, a group that includes five-star point guard Frank Jackson. Jackson is more of a scorer, but he would have battled Thornton for the starting point guard spot. Duke's incoming group is led by Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum, the top two prospects in the 2016 class.

Thornton, a 6-foot-2 point guard, was originally a member of the 2016 class, but reclassified last April in order to graduate early and enroll at Duke. He will have three years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2016-17 season.

"We wish Derryck the best and appreciate his contributions to our team this season," Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a statement. "We support his decision and want only what is best for him in the future."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...erryck-thornton-transferring-duke-blue-devils

But, who is going to lead our class (kc desi ish delgado) to the promise land in 17-18, their senior season.

Holden is overall better than jt, he can shoot pass and play make better than jt. With a year of sha teaching and training holden will be one of the best pgs in the conference and will be a much better option to advance our boys in the dance than any 17' freshman we are looking at. The kid is ranked as #1 overall transfer by ESPN.

As far as this year, if iw returns than we dont need another guard to play this year anyway. If he doesn't then you try, as we are, to bring in someone that plays immediately. but just because we would need someone doesnt mean we'll get one that would be worth having.

As far as having a ship for TT, decent chance he doesn't commit to shu, then what we either dont use the ship or use it on another deep bench guy when we could of had holden the pg that could be the pg of the pirates 17-18 final four team... both would be good options and shu seems to be strongly pursuing both...

And you never know.. how about iw stays 2 other ships open up and they go to koey holden and TT, crazier things have happened.

Dan
The class of 2014 is the core upon which any future success will be built. With the probable departure of IW we have a two year window where we have a legitimate chance to be a consistent Tourney participant and to assure that success we have to continue to add pieces that make that a reality. With limited ships open this year and next every recruit we bring in must be a BE caliber talent and where there is a priority need we need to fill that need with a player who can come in and play and contribute immediately.

Last edited:
Understood. But Holden is considered the possible #1 transfer in the country. Too good for the Hall to pass up.

If the fifth year guy is good enough to give us Derrick like minutes (talking qty), than the roster is very solid. I am sure a talent like TT would be the best guy to add but if we miss, imo we can take a talented sit out transfer

Someone tell TT that JB will retire way before he finishes his run as Syracuse and then transfers to SHU. So might as well just come here and not waste a sit out year.

I think you have to take this kid whether or not IW comes back. He looks like a stud.
I couldn't agree more. Everyone wants another big man, but I don't see that as a must unless it's a guy who can step in right away and we can run a post offense through him immediately. Right now with Delgado developing that hook as the season went on, I think as he progresses we have the guy that we may able to run everything through down on the blocks.

Understood. But Holden is consider the possible #1 transfer in the country. Too good for the Hall to pass up.
I agree with that but do you wait to see if he chooses us if you have a chance to get a high quality player at a position of need who is immediately eligible and ready to commit now.

I agree with that but do you wait to see if he chooses us if you have a chance to get a high quality player at a position of need who is immediately eligible and ready to commit now.
IMO, if the fifth yr guy is in the bank and will be a rotation guard, and JT will be back albeit back late, than yes, we can wait for him. And having a ship carried over for next yr isn't the worst thing either.

Guys, I think I am going to respectfully disagree on this

I don't believe I W is coming back So we need another guard next year and I still say we need the impact 5.

I also believe we need the Plan B if TT goes to Syracuse Some of us thought Cuse going far into the NCAAS would hurt us with TT and it seems that way.

In 2017-18 we'll have Carrington, Powell and Cayle at minimum in the backcourt with a chance to add another guard with talent. If we want to continue the momentum next season I'm not sure we can have Holden in street clothes next year. I think they have to go back to the priority for next year and that's the guard and more important the big man for the future.

To me Delgado is pretty good at the 5 but has problems against the true quality centers So we can gamble with next year and take Holden or focus on still getting better for next season IW is a tremendous loss of talent We just aren't going to be as good with the players on the current roster. We need more talent ASAP

BTW, don't count out UConn for Thompson. They're neck and neck with Syracuse.

I don't know about disaster. I would much rather our roster them most of the country.

They went hard after TT and it seems like he wants to go somewhere else.

There is a chance for a talented big to play some mins but if it isn't someone who is ready to play right away then we are fine with Angel, Ish, Nzei, Carter, and Anthony.

Love to have a talented big, ready to play next season, but to me, based upon decades of observation, college hoops is about guard play, I say get Holden for 17-18 season.

I guess the open question on the table is how realistic is it to expect that players of the caliber of Holden or Holden himself will commit to us verses all the other top programs that are pursuing him . While I would have no issue were a highly regarded transfer who would sit out a year want to commit to us there must always be a realistic expectation that he's is coming and not wait for a commit that doesn't happen and by waiting you lose out on other opportunities .

Reactions: HALL85
1 Kory Holden
bio-school-logo.png

PQWPAKKCZBWEMBD.20151017182202.jpg

AT DELAWARE
One of the top young players in the CAA • Preseason Second Team All-CAA selection • expected to again start at point guard for the Blue Hens • excellent distributor • outstanding driver who is adept at getting to the basket • left-handed • earned a letter during his freshman season at UD.

2015-16 GAME BY GAME STATISTICS

2014-15 SEASON (GAME BY GAME)

CAA All-Rookie Team selection

• appeared in 29 games while starting 28 (missed the Fairleigh Dickinson game with a hamstring injury) • ranked second in the league with 5.0 assists per game and eighth with a 1.5 assist/turnover ratio • was second on the Blue Hens and second among CAA freshmen with 12.4 points per game • scored 360 points on the year, second most by a UD freshman • one of only two Division I freshmen to average at least 12.0 points, 3.0 rebounds and 4.5 assists, along with D’Angelo Russell of Ohio State • became the first UD freshman to score at least 24 points in four games during the year • was named CAA Rookie of the Week four times, tying the school mark set by Devon Saddler • reached double figures in 18 games • scored 27 points during the win over St. Bonaventure, tied for the fourth most by a UD freshman in school history • added 25 points and went 15 of 16 from the foul line at UNCW • scored 24 points, dished out a season-high nine assists and committed just one turnover during the home victory over William & Mary • finished with game-highs of 24 points and six assists in the overtime triumph over Towson • scored a game-high 17 points and hit four free throws in the final 22 seconds of the road win over the Tigers • poured in a game-best 20 points against Northeastern in the CAA Tournament Quarterfinals • selected ECAC Rookie of the Week on Dec. 14 and Jan. 25, and National 5&10 Best of the Blue Hens Athlete of the Week on Jan. 26.

HIGH SCHOOL

Earned first team All-Bayside Conference and Bayside Player of the Year honors during his final two seasons • All-State selection in 2012-13 • named DMVelite All-Eastern Shore Player of the Year as a senior • four-year varsity starter who was named his team’s Most Valuable Player three times • broke the J.M. Bennett career scoring record • reached 1,000 points during junior year • averaged 25.0 points as a junior, and 29.7 points and 8.6 assists as a senior • led the Clippers to an 18-3 mark in 2012-13 and a 16-6 record last year, including a berth in the 3A sectional final • honor roll student.

PERSONAL

Kory Ramon Holden, Jr. • born May 14, 1996 • son of Nikkia and Kory Holden, Sr. • has younger siblings Monay, Anaiya, Ramon, and August • enjoys writing poetry in his free time • communications major at Delaware.

CAREER HIGHSPoints: 27 vs. St. Bonaventure, 12/30/14
Field Goals Made: 9, twice
Field Goals Attempted: 20 at UNCW, 1/8/15
3-Pt. Field Goals Made: 4 vs. St. Bonaventure, 12/30/14
3-Pt. Field Goals Attempted: 5, twice
Free Throws Made: 15 at UNCW, 1/8/15
Free Throws Attempted: 16 at UNCW, 1/8/15
Rebounds: 7, twice
Assists: 9 vs. William & Mary, 1/21/15
Blocks: 1, four times
Steals: 3 at Robert Morris, 12/22/14
Minutes: 43, twice

We need someone who can provide adequate depth behind Delgado. The drop off from Delgado to Anthony is too substantial for a team with top 20 expectations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT