ADVERTISEMENT

Kory Holden Update

I'm surprised Whitehead's decision would have any bearing on Holden. If Whitehead came back, Holden would get to practice against a 1st round pick, which you'd think he'd embrace.

I agree. And the likelihood is Whitehead would be gone after next season anyway, which is also the season Holden would sit out.

Reactions: shupat08
Have to understand that we are involved with many highly rated 2017 and 2018 PG players. Also do we want to tie up a guard ship for the 2016 class with Holden ( who would need to sit out a year). If Isaiah decides to play one more year at Seton Hall, then we can pass the PG position to one of the 2017 PG players. If Isaiah decides on the NBA, there are other 2016 guards on our list who can play in 2016.

I agree. And the likelihood is Whitehead would be gone after next season anyway, which is also the season Holden would sit out.

But in Holden's mind, he's probably thinking: "and what if he doesn't leave after next season either? I can go to Baylor and have a much bigger nat'l profile and a better guarantee of playing time". Sucks, but makes sense when a kid is in such high demand.

But in Holden's mind, he's probably thinking: "and what if he doesn't leave after next season either? I can go to Baylor and have a much bigger nat'l profile and a better guarantee of playing time". Sucks, but makes sense when a kid is in such high demand.

Whitehead is sure fire first round draft choice if he stays till his junior year. I don't think it was playing time that was his concern. He visited Seton Hall and after his visit he nixed us of his list. To me, he just didn't like the school or the coach or just thought that the other three schools he liked better.

Why does South Carolina always beat us in recruits when we are in a small list with them. Their coaches know how to either make themselves look really good or knows how to bash the hall...

Who would want to go to South Carolina for hoops? I don't understand.
I don't know either but Frank Martin has always been able to recruit the North East and specifically NY/NJ. He did it while at K-State and now he's beginning to do it at South Carolina.

Holden comes and has to sit out a year, so his first year on the court is 2017, and we will have the following in the backcourt:
Carrington
Thomas
Powell
The kid from Delaware

You figure in 2018, we hope to have some top prospects coming into the backcourt, so Holden might not be able to be guaranteed the minutes he wants.

Kid looks real good but I don't think him no coming here is that significant for next year or the future. If he had three years of eligibility, it would be a different story.

Charlie Moore or transfer who can play immediately would make more sense IMO.

Reactions: Flnj86
I'm surprised Whitehead's decision would have any bearing on Holden. If Whitehead came back, Holden would get to practice against a 1st round pick, which you'd think he'd embrace.
In theory yeah. But what if Whitehead comes back for his senior season?

Nope. Holden wants to start and play major minutes. There's no guarantee at this time Whitehead isn't on the roster in 2017/18.

Latest word is that it's now closer to 50/50 his coming back. Feedback hasn't been great to date. But he'll have the NBA combine to prove everyone wrong.

I don't think there is any chance we ever see IW for his senior year, but I have been hearing the same as you regarding his return. He wants to go pro, but will not pull a Jakar Sampson if the combine doesn't boost him into the first round discussion.

Nope. Holden wants to start and play major minutes. There's no guarantee at this time Whitehead isn't on the roster in 2017/18.

Latest word is that it's now closer to 505/50 his coming back. Feedback hasn't been great to date. But he'll have the NBA combine to prove everyone wrong.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Holden comes and has to sit out a year, so his first year on the court is 2017, and we will have the following in the backcourt:
Carrington
Thomas
Powell
The kid from Delaware

You figure in 2018, we hope to have some top prospects coming into the backcourt, so Holden might not be able to be guaranteed the minutes he wants.

Kid looks real good but I don't think him no coming here is that significant for next year or the future. If he had three years of eligibility, it would be a different story.

Charlie Moore or transfer who can play immediately would make more sense IMO.
Don't forget Soffer.

Latest word is that it's now closer to 50/50 his coming back. Feedback hasn't been great to date. But he'll have the NBA combine to prove everyone wrong.

So went from let's say 10/90 to 50/50 for IW coming back in about 3 weeks. Interesting to say the least.

I don't think there is any chance we ever see IW for his senior year, but I have been hearing the same as you regarding his return. He wants to go pro, but will not pull a Jakar Sampson if the combine doesn't boost him into the first round discussion.
The point is IW leaving is not a 100% lock and for a kid like Holden why would he choose a school where he might not be guaranteed major minutes at the point once he's eligible?

He's not leaving Delaware with the hope that Whitehead departs after his junior season.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
So went from let's say 10/90 to 50/50 for IW coming back in about 3 weeks. Interesting to say the least.
I said 90/10 but actually though even less of a chance than that.

I based it on what those at the Hall were quietly saying plus knowing those close to the player and what they were thinking.

Much has changed and IW will have to wow the scouts at the combine. That said, don't put it past him. He has NBA talent. Of that I have no doubt. He just has to learn how to play the point and that is not easy at any level.Especially in the best league in the world.

Why does South Carolina always beat us in recruits when we are in a small list with them. Their coaches know how to either make themselves look really good or knows how to bash the hall...

Who would want to go to South Carolina for hoops? I don't understand.
Basketball aside, I am sure SC is a very fun school with pretty attractive ladies just saying

The point is IW leaving is not a 100% lock and for a kid like Holden why would he choose a school where he might not be guaranteed major minutes at the point once he's eligible?

He's not leaving Delaware with the hope that Whitehead departs after his junior season.

I'm trying to understand what I'm now reading concerning IW and his decision on whether he'll be back at SH next season or hire an agent and stay in the draft. From what was a pessimistic view that the likelihood was he would not return , It now seems that we've seen a change from a pessimistic outlook to an optimistic view that the chances for him coming back have improved significantly.

The second part that is more baffling to me is that our pursuit of a quality transfer is reportedly hampered because there is a possibility that IW could be here for his senior year when the transfer would become eligible and with IW there he would not see quality minutes or start . I have never heard any scenario that suggested IW would ever see a senior year at SH and that his return for a junior season would serve to make him a sure first round pick in the 2017 draft and thus his departure was practically a sure thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: shupat08
I'm trying to understand what I'm now reading concerning IW and his decision on whether he'll be back at SH next season or hire an agent and stay in the draft. From what was a pessimistic view that the likelihood was he would not return , It now seems that we've seen a change from a pessimistic outlook to an optimistic view that the chances for him coming back have improved significantly.

The second part that is more baffling to me is that our pursuit of a quality transfer is hampered because there is a possibility that IW could be here for his senior year when the transfer would become eligible and with IW there he would not see quality minutes and start . I have never heard any scenario that suggested IW would ever see a senior year at SH and that his return for a junior season would serve to make him a sure first round pick in the 2017 draft and thus his departure was a sure thing.
There is no sure thing with Whitehead. He may go this year although he's not projected to be higher at best than a late first round pick.

No 2017 draft has him in the first round at this point either despite what we all think here. So there's no guarantee he's gone next season either although that seems unlikely to me.

Plus there is always the possibility of an injury which could derail his leaving next season.

Too many variables for a player who wants to immediately start at the point when he has other choices. I would love Holden here but if I was him I doubt I would make that choice and would look elsewhere, which is what he is doing.

i can't see IW staying for his senior year barring injury. He is guaranteed to have a Kris Dunn-like emergence on the nat'l scene next season if he comes back. Oh, and will you look at that...Dunn projected to go NUMBER FIVE or thereabouts in the draft now.

Thanks Dan for that response. It almost sounds as if there's a different view on what IW will do every day. Maybe what we should due is replace KUWTK with WWIWD* on reality TV because it's become somewhat of a soap opera and maybe Vegas should post the odds on a daily basis.

* What Will Isaiah Whitehead Do.

We all want what's best for Isaiah but obviously he would be welcomed back with open arms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT