ADVERTISEMENT

Molson

I am certain that Takal believes he can play at this level.
Think about it: what a waste of two years if he returns to a MAAC-like school.

Everyone is going to have to deal with this over the next few months. Sometimes it will be the player wanting more minutes, reading the tea leaves, being unhappy, etc. Other times it will be a staff having an honest discussion. All the matters is how any potential holes are filled because there is so much talent out there and there will be even more.

Reactions: Piratz
SHU has always had some real bad fans. Can we let these kids make their own decisions and wish them well for cryin out loud and not speculate on who is out the door until the announcement is made. Common people have just a little class please.

I am certain that Takal believes he can play at this level.
Think about it: what a waste of two years if he returns to a MAAC-like school.
If players like him were not recruited in the first place why go after them as transfers particularly when they had to sit out. JC guys I don't have much of a problem with.

What a difference 1 shot could make to changing a season.

If he makes either the Louisville FT or the one at the end of the Providence game (Believe it was Providence) his confidence In his shot quite possibly would have been different. He just had an unfortunate year shooting and his game did not translate to the BE except for his tenacity and toughness.

He will probably go to a smaller program where he is the big fish.

BEST OF LUCK TO HIM!!

Reactions: TomD82
"Drunken, degenerate gamblers" - Bob Hurley
Screen_Shot_2020-10-05_at_11.51.58_AM.png

The entire player development discussion comes down to one thing for me. Yes Grant has done a good job in recent year with some of our Bigs. Angel, Ro, Mamu, Ike improved this past year as well. But basketball is a perimeter and guard dominated game. And Sha was the straw that stirred the drink for that. Look at the guys he coached up and helped recruit. And if you would go back and look at off-season quotes post game stuff or even if you asked those guys now. I bet they would all say it was Sha, and working with him that helped their game and as a result help the team win. I think he was such an integral part of the coaching staff and the teams success and since he left they’ve struggled to replace him. Skinn had a great college career and I know he has deep ties in MBC area where Conway is from so hopefully he can start to have the same type of impact that Sha had but I think up to this point he also hasn’t had the same caliber players to work with. Here’s to hoping though

For the most part we did it to ourselves with sloppy execution on offense. Just about every one of those games were winnable. A shame
Sloppy execution and a persistent lack of fundamentals hurt this team. We could play with almost anyone, but too often regressed to the sub-par version of ourselves. Losing Bryce hurt big time as did a real lack of bench production.

A shame if he’s leaving. With a good off season of shooting, he could very well be a solid player for us who would start. Kind of a head scratcher, but who knows what takes place behind the scenes.

Happy to replace him for anyone. 18 19 perc from 3. Terrible wild drives. I thought he would have made his money in the mid range to 5 7 ft.

Reactions: TomD82
The entire player development discussion comes down to one thing for me. Yes Grant has done a good job in recent year with some of our Bigs. Angel, Ro, Mamu, Ike improved this past year as well. But basketball is a perimeter and guard dominated game. And Sha was the straw that stirred the drink for that. Look at the guys he coached up and helped recruit. And if you would go back and look at off-season quotes post game stuff or even if you asked those guys now. I bet they would all say it was Sha, and working with him that helped their game and as a result help the team win. I think he was such an integral part of the coaching staff and the teams success and since he left they’ve struggled to replace him. Skinn had a great college career and I know he has deep ties in MBC area where Conway is from so hopefully he can start to have the same type of impact that Sha had but I think up to this point he also hasn’t had the same caliber players to work with. Here’s to hoping though

If Shaheen was "the straw.......," why did we often have difficulty landing a point guard, and why was it so difficult to transition good guards into points?

So, this is Day 2 of the Molson watch. What's the likelihood that either
a. this was bad intel
or
b. staff is trying to talk him out of it

Happy to replace him for anyone. 18 19 perc from 3. Terrible wild drives. I thought he would have made his money in the mid range to 5 7 ft.
Pretty much. And it has been said be wary of players who look good on bad teams. and Canisius was not good when he had his big year in the MAAC. And that is where the coach went who was replaced by Hurley at URI. And Barron seemed to do better at Canisius than Witherspoon has now.

Pretty much. And it has been said be wary of players who look good on bad teams. and Canisius was not good when he had his big year in the MAAC. And that is where the coach went who was replaced by Hurley at URI. And Barron seemed to do better at Canisius than Witherspoon has now.

His freshman year he averaged 12.6 ppg, 5 rpg and 2.6 apg in 29.3 minutes per shooting 44% from the floor, 48.9% from two and 37% from three. That year Canisius was 21-12 overall and 15-3 in the MAAC and shared the conference regular season championship.

Solid numbers for a good team.

He played well in the BE tourney and got a lot of playing time all year. I liked his energy and toughness on the court. If he can be more consistent offensively, he would have been a nice option to have. He struggled mightily offensively. I don’t think he cracks the starting lineup though and we’ve got players coming in at his position. I wonder where the grass is greener for him? If true I wish him well. Welcome to the Wild West in college basketball.
Played well? He hit 2 shots one of which was his first 3 of 2021. Compared to a corpse he played well. Honestly he had an awful year and looked like he was over matched in this league.

Molson is a much better offensive player than he showed this year. One of the popular buzz terms now is “position-less basketball”. Well that’s not so easy and part of the reason he struggled without guards.

The other part is the offensive struggles got into his head. Look a good hitter that has a very down year.

Reactions: Hallsome
Not sure why people are crushed by Molsons departure. Not everybody is going to be a Quincy part two and that is okay. Willard gave him plenty of chances and he didn't measure up and with the influx in talent do to the extra year of eligibility the low man is going to get less playing time. Willard is going to invest in his new 4 star freshman and Remolds or a proven transfer.

Do you think halldan would’ve kept this thread up if it was nonsense?

Don't take it personal. I didn't call it nonsense, made up or anything else. Bad intel is ALWAYS possible.

I would have expected something announced or at least his name added to the portal.

Yeah, this issue seems to have transcended the Shaheen and post-Shaheen days. Jordan Theodore was the last great mentee of Shaheen.
Icounter and say that our guard play has been significantly worse since he left outside of Powell who he mentored early in his career at SHU.
Theodore, Carrington, Whitehead, Powell, and he worked with Q during his sit out year before he took the St. Pete’s job

just one mans opinion.

Icounter and say that our guard play has been significantly worse since he left outside of Powell who he mentored early in his career at SHU.
Theodore, Carrington, Whitehead, Powell, and he worked with Q during his sit out year before he took the St. Pete’s job

just one mans opinion.

And yet our head coach and both Tony and Duane were guards in college and should have the ability to teach ( and dare I say it ) develop our guards into BE caliber players at the guard position.

And yet our head coach and both Tony and Duane were guards in college and should have the ability to teach ( and dare I say it ) develop our guards into BE caliber players at the guard position.
That’s true.

But some guys are better at it than others. And personally I wouldn’t put Willard in the same class of player as Tony, Duane, and Sha. Again just my own opinion.

That’s true.

But some guys are better at it than others. And personally I wouldn’t put Willard in the same class of player as Tony, Duane, and Sha. Again just my own opinion.

Willard would probably be the first to admit that he wasn't in the same class of player as those guys. That doesn't mean he isn't or can't be a better teacher.

Molson had a bad year shooting but he never looked over matched. Exceptional athlete.
Agree. Defense was stellar at the 2 (adequate against the 1 or 3) which is great. He also consistently worked his tail off which is great for younger players.

He also could dribble well for size and didn’t turnover the ball much (since
bad shooting isn’t a turnover).

The issues he had were all on the offensive side of the ball which were glaring at times (too many times). He was really bad on his 3 pt shooting obviously by stats but equally bad with overall FG% , it was super low bc he got himself in trouble way way way too much trying to attempt layups with contact or against bigger players and making circus shots that weren’t even close. Which is poor decision making there and wasn’t good with assists or penetrating.

That being said, I wouldn’t mind him coming back if he was a rotation player off the bench but Molson probably didn’t like his reduced role towards end of season.

At the end of the day, if I was him and knew it was likely that my role is not of top 3 player on a team and expected to make pro money after my career was over, I would want to have significant starter minutes too especially now with an extra year of eligibility to rehab image.

Could he do that at the Hall? Possibly. I don’t think he will be picked up by any other high majors with his shooting %s so if he is looking to downgrade to get more PT, I wish him the best.

Agree. Defense was stellar at the 2 (adequate against the 1 or 3) which is great. He also consistently worked his tail off which is great for younger players.

The issues he had were all on the offensive side of the ball which were glaring at times (too many times). He was really bad on his 3 pt shooting obviously by stats but equally bad with overall FG% , it was super low bc he got himself in trouble way way way too much trying to attempt layups with contact or against bigger players and making circus shots that weren’t even close. Which is poor decision making there and wasn’t good with assists or penetrating.

That being said, I wouldn’t mind him coming back if he was a rotation player off the bench but Molson probably didn’t like his reduced role towards end of season.

At the end of the day, if I was him and knew it was likely that my role is not of top 3 player on a team and expected to make pro money after my career was over, I would want to have significant starter minutes too especially now with an extra year of eligibility to rehab image.

Could he do that at the Hall? Possibly. I don’t think he will be picked up by any other high majors with his shooting %s so if he is looking to downgrade to get more PT, I wish him the best.

He played too frenzied. He knew he was struggling and made it worse. And that led to some gambling defensively at times too.

I also liked what he brought off the bench.

just one mans opinion.
I agree. Maybe it's more the recruiting of "combo" guards and trying to convert 2's into 1's more than the coaching or lack thereof.

What? Did you say pro and Molson in the same sentence? Did you see he's 3's? Maybe not, since they were so off they may have left the screen. My 8 years old niece is closer on 3's. If honestly rather see Ike hoist up a 3 and have more confidence is going in. If absolutely be shocked if he plays BASKETBALL as a pro anywhere on this planet.

You really need to tone it down. Do you live under a dark cloud or are you just miserable all the time.

You are talking about a young man representing SHU who admittingly had a difficult year. Maybe you might be able to choose your words more carefully and show some compassion!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT