ADVERTISEMENT

NET 67 to 63

Reading the comparison between Xavier and SHU would be amusing if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Reactions: Hall84
The difference in NET vs RPI is pretty shocking for some teams. Moving to the NET was an easy way for the major conferences to allocate shift more bids to their leagues and screw the mid-majors. Have a look for yourself....

I understand how those that say it's more than just one result that dictates movement. My issue is these metrics are ridiculous to begin with as they are simply numbers inputted into a system.

Xavier started the season much higher than the Hall and that was fair. But injuries ravaged them all year. But because their original ranking was so high they still are above the Pirates in just about every metric rating I have seen.

No one can possibly defend that.

I understand how those that say it's more than just one result that dictates movement. My issue is these metrics are ridiculous to begin with as they are simply numbers inputted into a system.

Xavier started the season much higher than the Hall and that was fair. But injuries ravaged them all year. But because their original ranking was so high they still are above the Pirates in just about every metric rating I have seen.

RPI

Seton Hall 62
St. Johns 72
Villanova 73
Xavier 99

Whereas the NET says Seton Hall, having the best season, is the lesser team of this group. RPI is a better metric IMO

So true. How is Xavier 7-13 in Q1 and Q2 and has 1 Q3 and 1 Q4 loss deserving of those metrics?

Also "ItS NoT UsEd To RaNk TeAmS" but there is a ranking literally right next to every team.

So true. How is Xavier 7-13 in Q1 and Q2 and has 1 Q3 and 1 Q4 loss deserving of those metrics?

Margin of victory most likely.
We win by less and lose by more on average compared to Xavier.

RPI

Seton Hall 62
St. Johns 72
Villanova 73
Xavier 99

Whereas the NET says Seton Hall, having the best season, is the lesser team of this group. RPI is a better metric IMO
Rewards results.

NET has a greater lean on rewards level of play.

Seton Hall is 12-7 in the BE. With just a +10 point differential. That’s hard to do and a bit unusual. The RPI weighs more to the wins, the NET more to the differential. An oversimplification, but I think the essence.

"NET has a greater lean on rewards level of play..." But has a lesser lean on the record.

Efficiency metrics? Sounds like some accountant made this up for an agent to present to an AD looking for a raise for his client the coach who has a mediocre record.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT