ADVERTISEMENT

New Jersey high school basketball game halted after melee

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Ted Holmlund

A high school basketball game was halted after a melee broke out during Thursday’s game between Camden and Camden Eastside in the final of the Camden County Tournament in Cherry Hill, N.J., according to multiple reports.

Camden, the top seed, was leading 30-17 with 4:24 remaining in the second quarter when the game was stopped. Fans, players and coaches flooded the court, but Camden County police were able to calm down the situation within minutes.

Katrina McCombs, Superintendent of the Camden City School District and Camden coach Maalik Waayns declined to comment on the brawl.

But the district did release a statement obtained by NJ. Advance Media.

“We are disappointed to learn that this evening’s Camden County Championship basketball game between Camden High School and Eastside High School has been suspended following an on-the-court altercation during the game,” the statement read. “Our top priority is the safety and well-being of our students and fans. Thankfully, no one was seriously injured.

“This incident is not an indication of who we are. … And, we expect our student-athletes to compete with sportsmanship. The District will take all the necessary steps for appropriate disciplinary action.”

A video captured from Cherry Hill’s live stream and obtained by NJ Advance Media clearly shows the melee was initiated when a Camden player punched a Camden Eastside player. One of the game officials saw the play and raised his arm to call a foul. At that point, fans, players and coaches flooded the court.

The video suggests Camden’s bench emptied on to the court, but it’s not clear if Camden Eastside players reacted in a similar fashion.

According to the Courier Post’s account of the incident, Eastside’s Titus Bacon went to set a screen and was punched by the Camden Panthers’ Cornelius Robinson. The refs whistled a foul as Bacon responded, but some players on Camden, who were on a 12-0 run, were upset and chased after the Tigers, which led to players, coaches and spectators coming onto the court.

“The video shows our team didn’t leave the bench,” Camden Eastside athletic director Mark Phillips said. “Everything else, we’ll see how it turns out.”

Avent, who called the incident “unfortunate,” said the same thing.

“None of my kids left the bench,” he said. “We should be fine. I don’t know what happened with their team. I just wanted to get my guys to the locker room.”

With the New Jersey state tournament set to begin Monday, there’s a possibility serious penalties could result from the incident — including a ban from the tournament. Camden, who has star player D.J. Wagner, who ESPN ranks as the top prospect in the Class of 2023, is the defending Group 2 state champion; Camden Eastside in Group 3.

According to NJSIAA regulations, teams already seeded into the tournament can still get disqualified.

“Any varsity team accumulating three (3) or more player or coach disqualifications prior to the start of the tournament will not be permitted to participate in the state tournament. Seeded teams will forfeit their right to compete if a disqualification limit is reached prior to the start of the tournament for the team.”

Jeff Cohen, assignor for IAABO 34, told NJ Advance Media that a report will be filed and sent to the NJSIAA as soon as possible. He was waiting for information from the three game officials assigned to the final.

“This has nothing to do with me or the refs. We send a report to the NJSIAA and it’s in their hands,” Cohen said.

Avent said he was not aware of any tension between the teams heading into the game.

“Both teams are competitive, kids are competitive,” Avent said. “They were competing and it’s just an unfortunate incident.”

This was the first year for the county tournament.

“I don’t know what to say. I’m just glad that everyone is safe. It was a really good start to a basketball game,” Michael Beirao, athletic director for the Cherry Hill school district, told NJ Advance Media. “Emotions get high and it was an emotional response to an incredibly big rivalry, a good game. There were two wonderful teams, two great coaching staffs, lots of great players out there. It’s unfortunate.”

Camden, what else is new. Thinking of Raheem Carter.

Perhaps Camden, with kids from as far away as Rahway, and their stars not living in Camden, will finally get their just deserts. Who cares if they are one of the best teams in the country.

Raheem played at Long Branch
I know. And LB played Camden in a state tourney game. Their coach warned them that the crowd would get unruly so keep your composure. A fight broke out. Raheen got punched in the face, and walked away so he didn't mess up LB's chances, a real man.

I know. And LB played Camden in a state tourney game. Their coach warned them that the crowd would get unruly so keep your composure. A fight broke out. Raheen got punched in the face, and walked away so he didn't mess up LB's chances, a real man.
I remember Camden was banned early 2000s

Reactions: LBP43
None of this should surprise anyone. And that is beyond sad.

Nope. And they can't even play night football games in Camden anymore -- in fact, they won't let any of their teams play AWAY night games, faced with the prospect of having to come home late at night. But hey, NJ is busy with important stuff, like banning gas-powered cars and buying 14MPG SUV's for the Gov and his cabal to ride around in.

Nope. And they can't even play night football games in Camden anymore -- in fact, they won't let any of their teams play AWAY night games, faced with the prospect of having to come home late at night. But hey, NJ is busy with important stuff, like banning gas-powered cars and buying 14MPG SUV's for the Gov and his cabal to ride around in.
Hey, gotta have your priorities! Sad that no one prioritizes the kids in these situations. Just unreal between these games and the student who took her life due to bullying. Where the hell are the parents and don’t these schools have any rules?

The schools have rules. No one wants fights, not even our governor whether he be a rep or a dem. But we are one fighting nation. We love to punch and we love to shoot even more.

The POS top lawyer in Ocean county refused to look into this when it happened and only caved when it became a thing. (Like he ignored it when two teens brutally trapped and beat to death two animals and video-taped it so they could be youtube stars.)

The school admin making 192K said no big deal to the bullying death...he was fired.

And this is not new. Kids have bullied others since schools started. And the rich and the poor and the pretty and the upgly all join in at times.

When my son played ball in a Catholic GS league, I saw more unbelievable crap done by parents than you can imagine, blatant cheating, encouraging hurting opponents.

Hey, gotta have your priorities! Sad that no one prioritizes the kids in these situations. Just unreal between these games and the student who took her life due to bullying. Where the hell are the parents and don’t these schools have any rules?

Camden is a different world, unfortunately.

The schools have rules. No one wants fights, not even our governor whether he be a rep or a dem. But we are one fighting nation. We love to punch and we love to shoot even more.

The POS top lawyer in Ocean county refused to look into this when it happened and only caved when it became a thing. (Like he ignored it when two teens brutally trapped and beat to death two animals and video-taped it so they could be youtube stars.)

The school admin making 192K said no big deal to the bullying death...he was fired.

And this is not new. Kids have bullied others since schools started. And the rich and the poor and the pretty and the upgly all join in at times.

When my son played ball in a Catholic GS league, I saw more unbelievable crap done by parents than you can imagine, blatant cheating, encouraging hurting opponents.
EDIT

Too political a response. This type of comment belongs on Life off the Ship.

Further responses of this nature will force me to transfer the entire thread.

Camden. Man. We elect Murphy and all of a sudden its a real bad place. And it had been so nice before him.
Well, what was that streak of consecutive Camden mayors who wound up in jail? It’s machine politics at its finest, and Murphy is certainly embedded within it. New Jersey is basically a one party state, and it certainly is in every urban/industrial area.

Moving thread in 5 minutes as I first deleted multiple political responses after asking for that to not happen and then an additional one above follows.

Now I know how my teachers in school felt when no one listened to them either. :eek:

There has always been bullying and crap like this and it’s gotten worse IMO. Bad behavior can almost always be traced back to parenting, family or lack thereof. And it happens in poor and affluent towns…wealthy towns have more well heeled bullying parents. What happens when there is one or no parent…no extended family. Not popular to say it but parents (and society) need to look in the mirror.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
@Halldan1 now that it's on LOTS, can you restore my comment? 🦆
Unfortunately no. If I knew that a parade of pollical comments would have ensued I would just have transferred the whole thread imm. But I naively thought posters would heed my warning so your comment was deleted.

There has always been bullying and crap like this and it’s gotten worse IMO. Bad behavior can almost always be traced back to parenting, family or lack thereof. And it happens in poor and affluent towns…wealthy towns have more well heeled bullying parents. What happens when there is one or no parent…no extended family. Not popular to say it but parents (and society) need to look in the mirror.
Guess we need good faith based nuclear families

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT