ADVERTISEMENT

October Tweets

I guess the voters weren't impressed by a 14-13 team that lost its best player.

Did people seriously think Seton Hall would get top 25 votes?!
and there are so many question marks on this team. it makes sense to me. i think the team will have plenty of chances to prove themselves out the gate

Not really a surprise or a big deal. It would have been nice to get a vote or two, there are a number of teams that are getting votes based on hype over reality.

Just go out and cruise over FDU and Yale, win at Michigan and sweep Ohio State and Florida in Ft. Myers and see how quickly things change. :)

Reactions: Robot_Man
Not really a surprise or a big deal. It would have been nice to get a vote or two, there are a number of teams that are getting votes based on hype over reality.

Just go out and cruise over FDU and Yale, win at Michigan and sweep Ohio State and Florida in Ft. Myers and see how quickly things change. :)
I agree if we beat Michigan, will certainly get some attention from voters :)

Its just much easier to stay ranked (or getting votes) than to move up and leap frog folks.

Most of the voters in these polls don’t watch the majority of games so would need a big slash in OOC to get respect.

Reactions: Hallsome
I agree if we beat Michigan, will certainly get some attention from voters :)

Its just much easier to stay ranked (or getting votes) than to move up and leap frog folks.

Most of the voters in these polls don’t watch the majority of games so would need a big slash in OOC to get respect.
I agree it's much easier to stay there than it is to get there. While it's nice to be ranked, the polls don't really mean that much other than having a number besides the name.

The Thanksgiving tournaments are usually the line of demarcation that shakes out the polls from the previous year's bias. By then all but handful of teams will already have a loss and we're starting to see what most teams really look like.

As always, win games and the rest takes care of itself.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and shu09
North Carolina A&T is where frequent SHU attendee JR Smith is currently playing college golf.

And yet he doesn't have us in his top 45.
Ridiculous. I don’t see how we are outside the top 45 with our talent/ overall experience/and returning core.

I follow the The field of 68 podcast (Fanta and others we know are in it) and they are doing a episode on each of top 50 bball mens programs this year starting from the team they ranked 50 without announcing who their top 50 were before hand. Long story short they are now inside the top 25 and never did a podcast episode on us soooo we weren’t even in their top 50.

I think since Fanta is a grad of seton hall and has to avoid being a homer, he is publicly less optimistic about the Halls chances compared to the Butlers, johnies and Xaviers of the world.

Anyone else see this?

Seton Hall is being rated fairly nationally and among Big East people. It's just the annual PirateCrew hype machine that gives people inflated expectations and leads to perceived injustice in rankings.

Seton Hall is being rated fairly nationally and among Big East people. It's just the annual PirateCrew hype machine that gives people inflated expectations and leads to perceived injustice in rankings.
Much like most of your opinions, I disagree. Fanta even said as much off the record.

Most experts agree it’s a flip of the coin between teams like St. John’s, Xavier, Rutgers etc and us yet they are in many of these polls cited where we aren’t listed at all in top 50/45.

Threemanweave (who actually does real research on teams with the off-season player movement) has us 38 where some individuals within even have us in top 30.

We should safely be in top 50 IMHO and I don’t think it’s hype pending unforeseen injury among star players.

If I said we are a top 25 team at this point, that would be blue lens, drinking the kool aid hype. Top 50, definitely not hype if you are paying attention.

Love the content that comes with being listed in these arbitrary “expert” rankings. So I care until actual games start.

Rather read listen or watch about Seton Hall prospects this year than say, watch the Giants lose.

and god forbid you point it out lol.

its clear that outside of nova the big east as a whole is pretty mediocre

Reactions: shu09
Ridiculous. I don’t see how we are outside the top 45 with our talent/ overall experience/and returning core.

I follow the The field of 68 podcast (Fanta and others we know are in it) and they are doing a episode on each of top 50 bball mens programs this year starting from the team they ranked 50 without announcing who their top 50 were before hand. Long story short they are now inside the top 25 and never did a podcast episode on us soooo we weren’t even in their top 50.

I think since Fanta is a grad of seton hall and has to avoid being a homer, he is publicly less optimistic about the Halls chances compared to the Butlers, johnies and Xaviers of the world.

Anyone else see this?
Nope, as I talked to him last night at the Beefsteak and he's as high on the Pirates as our most optimistic posters.

Honestly, who cares at this point? Pre-season rankings are forgotten by Thanksgiving. Let them play the games and see how things shake out.

Imagine spending so much time caring about preseason rankings like some do? To each their own, but man...

Imagine spending so much time caring about preseason rankings like some do? To each their own, but man...
Nice dig coming from a guy who spends the same time on the same shu bball message board caring about what I post🙄

Honestly, who cares at this point? Pre-season rankings are forgotten by Thanksgiving. Let them play the games and see how things shake out.
I kinda agree with this provided all the games are played. Then things even out. Ultimately it will come down to winning the games and we have opportunities.

I’ll say the PAC 12 could have a beef after how they crushed the NCAA’s last year with this year’s poll.

Reasonable minds can think we are not a top 50 team pre-season. The short preview is we finished 14-13 last year, folded down the stretch and then lost our best player to the NBA. We also have a number of "ifs" although that is true of almost any college program. That's the nature of a game in which your rosters turn over every four years -- and with the new transfer rules, the churn will be even faster.

I happen to disagree with that thinking. I think those previews discount our experience, the incoming talent via the transfer portal and the fact that we return some talented and versatile pieces.

In the end, I hope the players use the pre-season rankings as motivation to show people that we are as good as they (and many of us) believe they are. We'll find out soon enough.

If big East wins 4 of these tourneys, we could dramatically increase our league’s NET.

Three of those eight aren't tournaments, they are doubleheader events.
Sorry. Fox sports labeled them all tournaments.

I’ll amend it and say Tourney/double header events.

Eitherway, great opportunities to get some quality wins for conference. Especially Novas games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT