ADVERTISEMENT

On Calipari

NYShoreGuy

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2006
Just wish this could have waited 48 hours...very Spurrier like here. Also Tyson Foods and Walmart should have biggest collectives and NIL...Danny going to be asked about Kentucky postgame

Just wish this could have waited 48 hours...very Spurrier like here. Also Tyson Foods and Walmart should have biggest collectives and NIL...Danny going to be asked about Kentucky postgame
Players are in the portal and he's supposed to wait? Heck I know Danny has a big game tonight, but I'm sure he's working the portal. I would think Calipari wants to get hired ASAP. The world isn't stopping to wait for Calipari to be hired. Until they open the portal mid April, there's no reason for anyone to wait.

Players are in the portal and he's supposed to wait? Heck I know Danny has a big game tonight, but I'm sure he's working the portal. I would think Calipari wants to get hired ASAP. The world isn't stopping to wait for Calipari to be hired.
Disagree. All of college basketball is at a stop on this one. Especially with the implications of what happens next

Three Big East coaches mentioned to replace Calipari, Sean Miller from Xavier, Hurley from UConn and Pitino from St. John’s .

Danny’s a big boy getting paid a lot of money. He can handle the questions. And the players are now all being paid, they can handle real life change too. These are now corporations who deal with turnover rate.

Reactions: Section112
St John’s heads will explode when Pitino bolts! But Pitino should finish his story!
Either Hurley or Pitino leaving the BE would be awful for the league. After watching how this last Selection Sunday went, it is the last thing any BE hoops fans should be rooting for even if they dislike both teams.

Word has it Kentucky will make Hurley an obscene offer he can’t refuse…

Word has it Kentucky will make Hurley an obscene offer he can’t refuse…
Have no idea what will happen, but Hurley has a great path to high seeds in the tournament and on the verge of back-to-back NC's. He can create a dynasty where he is and have his folks and family see many of his games without lots of travel. Reminds me of a Yogi-ism: "When you come to a fork in the road, take it".

It would be just like Quick Rick to make his stay in Queens a brief one, but I don't see him going that route. I can't cite the specific articles, but I know I've read him saying something to the effect that it was time to be home after coaching everywhere else. I think the New York thing matters to him. I know he's also mentioned his regret in leaving UK for the Celtics, but that was a long time ago and he is, molecularly, a different person now. I don't see him going.

I also don't see Hurley leaving UConn, and the mentions of Jay Wright make certain writers just look silly.

If I'm Hurley, there is no way I leave for Kentucky. Yes, Kentucky is Kentucky, and there is probably nothing like it in college basketball for a multitude of reasons. But with where he has Uconn right now, he'd be foolish IMO. Money is great, and while the Uconn fan base is rabid in the expectations-game, I think Kentucky is probably the most critical in college basketball. They are the Yankees.

Calhoun and now Hurley have showed that the ceiling of Uconn can be just as high as the ceiling of Kentucky. And with 1 title already and (in my view) a second likely tonight, Hurley has about as long a leash as possible at Uconn IMO.

It would be just like Quick Rick to make his stay in Queens a brief one, but I don't see him going that route. I can't cite the specific articles, but I know I've read him saying something to the effect that it was time to be home after coaching everywhere else. I think the New York thing matters to him. I know he's also mentioned his regret in leaving UK for the Celtics, but that was a long time ago and he is, molecularly, a different person now. I don't see him going.

I also don't see Hurley leaving UConn, and the mentions of Jay Wright make certain writers just look silly.
Rick still interested in the ponies though?

I really don’t see Hurley leaving. He has too much of his father in him to leave UConn and not see things go further there. I think he wants to make a bigger mark in Storrs (like win more titles than Calhoun).

Danny has established himself with his personality in UConn and it works there. I’m not sure it works in Lexington. Plus he likes his less-than-5 star recruits to complement the highly rated kids.

I don’t think Danny cares about the lore of Kentucky basketball and would rather make his name his own way.

But I could be wrong.

Pitino wants to be King of NY.
Pitino is great for any short term situation (insert joke here). Even at his age. But if I'm Kentucky I want someone who is younger and can be there for a decade+. Even if you can't get Hurley, there so many other qualified candidates who fit that bill and who can project excellence at KY for if they were to take the job. Even if you can't get Hurley who would be #1 on my list.

Oats. Drew. Possibly Pearl. The Iowa State coach. I even kind of like Billy Donovan as an outside the box candidate if -- and this is a big if -- he is willing to entertain and work in the current college landscape, and who knows if he wants to get back into that madness with what he's already accomplished as a coach and the money he's made.

And before anyone suggests it, no I don't think Sha is realistic. Love Sha, but the Kentucky AD might get fired if they replace Cal with a young, up-and-coming coach who has been to the 2 NITs in 2 years at the high major level.

If I'm Hurley, there is no way I leave for Kentucky. Yes, Kentucky is Kentucky, and there is probably nothing like it in college basketball for a multitude of reasons. But with where he has Uconn right now, he'd be foolish IMO. Money is great, and while the Uconn fan base is rabid in the expectations-game, I think Kentucky is probably the most critical in college basketball. They are the Yankees.

Calhoun and now Hurley have showed that the ceiling of Uconn can be just as high as the ceiling of Kentucky. And with 1 title already and (in my view) a second likely tonight, Hurley has about as long a leash as possible at Uconn IMO.
I agree, if Hurley was a few years removed from national championships maybe, but coming off back to back finals (and maybe titles) would really be a weird time to bolt Uconn even for UK. Plus, Danny has always been a Northeast guy, so rolling down to Kentucky at this point would seem odd.

Reactions: dehere23
I agree, if Hurley was a few years removed from national championships maybe, but coming off back to back finals (and maybe titles) would really be a weird time to bolt Uconn even for UK. Plus, Danny has always been a Northeast guy, so rolling down to Kentucky at this point would seem odd.
I think Kentucky is one of the few jobs that literally anyone has to listen to or at least consider, even if for a second. Because it is Kentucky. I just think with where Uconn is presently they offer just as high a ceiling annually and everything else, plus more stability.

I could see Danny tempted by the right offer from an NBA team , but not at this point in time and I don’t see him leaving for another college team yet either as UConn is the perfect job for him now.

My guess is Hurley (he will say no) and Pitino (will not get offered - too old and a rehash of Calipari) will not be the guys. They will go hard after Drew and Oates. Could be a good destination for a Matt Painter too. I guarantee Sean Miller throws his name in that hat too but not sure they bite.

If Cal can get 8.5M a year if Danny wins tonight he could get more tha

And Danny would have more National Championships than Cal. It is pretty amazing that this time roughly 55 weeks ago, Danny was 0-2 in the tournament at UCONN.

Reactions: dehere23
I remember fellow students being upset with SHU for paying PJ so much (and charging student such high tuition) . I think his salary after turning down UK was $350,000

Reactions: SHUSource
Per betting site, odds to get UK job in article on NJ.COM

Scott Drew (Baylor) - +100

Nate Oats (Alabama) - +300

Richard Pitino (New Mexico) - +700

Billy Donovan (Bulls) - +900

Mark Pope (BYU) - +1000

Kelvin Sampson (Houston) - +1200

Sean Miller (Xavier) - +1600

Jamie Dixon (TCU) - +1600

Chris Beard (Ole Miss) - +1800

Rick Pitino (St. John’s) - +2000

Scott Padgett (Mississippi State asst) - +2000

Shaka Smart (Marquette) - +2000

TJ Otzelberger (Iowa State) - +2500

Bruce Pearl (Auburn) - +2500

Will Wade (McNeese State) - +2500

Penny Hardaway (Memphis) - +2500

Dan Hurley (UConn) - +2500

Jay Wright (retired) - +2500

Good for Cal for thumbing his nose and leaving. For all he has done, KY should have shown him more love last month.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT