ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Adrian Griffin fired by the Bucks

I read and listened to insider material. Inference is that front office was showing up on the floor of practices last few weeks. Players lost faith in him which was shaky since start of training camp. Portis had media comments about schemes in the tournament loss. Front office and ownership did not want to waste a prime rest of season of giannis and dame. Are they more of an offensive prowess group with dame yes. Has defense been worse with him yes. That was an ownership and front office decision. Easier to part with 1 head coach vs a roster. Again head coaches are hired to be fired. Unlike hall85 calling a head coach a very well paid babysitter, a head coach is chief delegator to assistants and suppport staff for scouting, scheming and ultimately what you install and concepts.

When they fail to make it beyond the second round for the next few seasons, maybe then people will finally wake up to the kind of coach and person “doc” rivers really is.

He orchestrated this whole thing. I’m sure AG had his faults, but “doc” led him astray. Total snake in the grass. Smiling and shaking AG’s hand, reassuring him, while in his other hand he held the knife to stab Griffin in the back. He’s grinning now, and exercising his annoyingly hoarse voice. So gregarious with the press. He’ll get all indignant if someone has the nerve and temerity to ask him what actually transpired behind the scenes.

It’ll backfire. No series lead will be safe. No Game 7 will be successfully fought. I’m going to enjoy watching this poop show come crashing down and burn to the ground.

P.S. Kevin Willard could have won the NBA Championship in 2008 if he could coach Pierce, Garnett, Allen and Rondo all on the same team.

Adrian Griffin makes first comments since sudden Bucks firing​

By Jared Schwartz

Adrian Griffin was classy in his first comments since being fired by the Bucks.

Despite leading the team to a 30-13 record, which is the second-best in the NBA, Griffin was fired as the Bucks’ head coach on Tuesday just 43 games into his tenure.

“I appreciate the opportunity the Bucks gave me,” Griffin told Bleacher Report. “You can’t control everything. I feel good about the job we did. I appreciate my coaching staff for all their hard work.”

The Bucks quickly replaced Griffin, hiring Doc Rivers on Wednesday.

Griffin had just been hired over the summer to replace Mike Budenholzer.

Bucks superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo was reportedly heavily involved in Griffin’s hiring, but reports that Griffin was already losing the locker room began emerging midseason.

Griffin’s tenure is tied for the third-shortest all-time for full-time coaches.

Bucks assistant Joe Prunty was named the interim coach before the Rivers news came out.

Griffin had served as an assistant with the Bucks, Bulls, Magic, Thunder, and Raptors before landing Milwaukee’s head coaching job this past offseason.

“I always wanted to be a head coach in this league,” Griffin said Tuesday. “I couldn’t have asked for a better roster. I got to coach Giannis, Dame [Lillard], Khris [Middleton], Brook [Lopez]. Dream come true. Hopefully, I get another shot at it, but overall, I’m just thankful.”

Rivers, who was in his first season working as an analyst for ESPN’s top NBA broadcast team, quickly emerged as the frontrunner for the job.

Earlier in the season, the Bucks had reached out to Rivers to see if he’d be a veteran voice to help Griffin through his first season, according to The Athletic, and the two sat down during the team’s trip to Las Vegas for the In-Season Tournament.

Now, a guiding voice for Griffin is taking his job.

Maybe the next Depaul coach?
That would be an awful hire on both sides.

DePaul needs a top flight coach, not someone who has zero experience in college basketball. They need to go after someone like a high-quality retread like Chris Mack or someone like Dayton's Anthony Grant.

If Adrian wants to get into college basketball, almost any other job would be an improvement.

He'd be walking into a place that has one above .500 season and one .500 season in the last 16 years and six and one respectively over the last 28 seasons (since 1995-96).

He will likely have a shot at another NBA head coaching job in the next year or two. And I'm sure that's his focus.

Reactions: Harty9
If Chris Mack couldn't succeed at Louisville how is he going to succeed at Depaul?

Swapping Holiday for Lillard is a downgrade on D.

It’s hard to believe that they hired Doc as an upgrade. Did they miss the Sixers playoff struggles over the past few years?
Exactly
They trade one of the best defenders in the league to upgrade the offense. Then they blame the coach when the defense lags.
Cruel move by a franchise I used to like

Reactions: JRSlim2284
Top of mind can anyone think of a head coach being fired with a 700 winning percentage?🤔

Top of mind can anyone think of a head coach being fired with a 700 winning percentage?🤔
Mike Budenholzer had a .707 winning percentage for the Bucks in the 2022-2023 season. They lost in five games in the first round to the Heat, though Giannis was hurt and Budenholzer's brother died in a car accident during the series. And the Bucks fired him. Nice organization.

Kevin Ollie got hired as the interim head coach.
Now there’s a guy UConn nation must be a bit split on. He’s got a title, but then a bunch of poor seasons mixed in with the miracle conference tournament run to get into the NCAA’s.

And then the lawsuit.

UConn did not play nicely with that whole fiasco.

His show cause ended a couple years ago so I guess he gets his shot now

Nets fired Vaughn today. Hope he gets a look in Brooklyn.
I'm a Net fan but I would advise Adrian to run in the other direction if they approach him.

Since Lawrence Frank was relieved of his duties after an 0-16 start in 2009, only two coaches, Avery Johnson and Kenny Atkinson have coached two seasons worth of games (164).

Including interim coaches, the Nets have had 11 head coaches in that span. That's an unstable situation in a position where you're basically hired to be fired.

Mike Budenholzer had a .707 winning percentage for the Bucks in the 2022-2023 season. They lost in five games in the first round to the Heat, though Giannis was hurt and Budenholzer's brother died in a car accident during the series. And the Bucks fired him. Nice organization.
and the heat went to the finals. insane. reeks of Giannis intervention

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT