ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Giants

Piratz

All Universe
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
Alright, it's time...

2-0 for the first time since 2009 and quite the relief after three consecutive years starting the dreadful 0-2.

Thoughts?

Jet fan who roots for the Giants as well.

Product of the schedule but still, any W is a good W.

Glad Becham dropped that sure TD as it allowed the Giant to eventually run out the clock thanks to the Cruz catch and last second FG

Alright, it's time...

2-0 for the first time since 2009 and quite the relief after three consecutive years starting the dreadful 0-2.

Thoughts?
Defense is substantially improved and the secondary better then I envisioned plus Collins is becoming a top line safety. Giants still need an improved running game as it continues to be limited by an OL that can't get a push .
Wouldn't it have been a real plus if Reese had signed a high quality TE like the Patriots did with Bennett. Just think of that type of weapon added to ODB, Cruz and Shepard.

Running is a lot better than I expected. Funny, both games won in a manner similar to how we lost so many games last year. So nice to see Cruz being able to play.

Huge talent upgrades in the WR corps and defense, of course. That's why they won these two games instead of losing them like last year. You've got guys like Cruz, Shepard, Jenkins, and Harrison making plays instead of guys messing up like Randle, Parker, Dahl, and Unga.

That defensive gameplan and effort yesterday was the best we've seen in years. The offense has the same problems with the line, but at least Eli has more options than last year. What a season Cruz is having.

I agree on Collins, hallgrad. Kid had a mature offseason as well when he got into better physical condition and seems to have studied up. Become a heckuva player.

Defense is substantially improved and the secondary better then I envisioned plus Collins is becoming a top line safety. Giants still need an improved running game as it continues to be limited by an OL that can't get a push .
Wouldn't it have been a real plus if Reese had signed a high quality TE like the Patriots did with Bennett. Just think of that type of weapon added to ODB, Cruz and Shepard.

Collins is much better in coverage than last year. Now the TEs even Whitten are not wide open at least so far. Casillas is playing very well and Eli Apple looks pretty good even if he is not quite looking for the ball he has tight coverage on most plays.

There is no power running game at all right now. That is why almost all the running plays are out of the shot gun. Inside handoffs and draws.

Reactions: Section112
Collins is much better in coverage than last year. Now the TEs even Whitten are not wide open at least so far. Casillas is playing very well and Eli Apple looks pretty good even if he is not quite looking for the ball he has tight coverage on most plays.

There is no power running game at all right now. That is why almost all the running plays are out of the shot gun. Inside handoffs and draws.

They are at their best with the 3-WR look and creating out of that with Eli. I think they were in that set 90% of the time yesterday and should just stay in it. Good move there by McAdoo. They just do not have the personnel to run a power game, especially with the weak offensive tackles They cannot move people in the run game and the TE's are bad blockers.

They really struggled in the run game yesterday; 32 for 64 yards. eek. After that impressive 24 for 117 in Dallas when they were almost exclusively running up the guy behind Pugh/Richburg/Jerry out of the 3-WR.

Interested to see how Beatty plays. Likely he'll get the spot this week with Newhouse hurt.

The Giants were very fortunate to win that game yesterday & don't be surprised to see them lose to a desperate Redskin team next week. Their O Line play was attrocious.

Reactions: mjs428
Great D yesterday. So much more team speed. Our guys fly to the ball. First and goal from in close in the 2nd half was disappointing. Why was Jennings not in there to pound it home? They stuck with Vereen for 3 plays in a row and settled for the FG. Big question mark in the play calling inside the 5 IMO. Got to clean that up. Like Piratz said I guess they have no confidence in the blocking. But 2-0 and lots of areas to improve. I'll take it.

Last edited:
Great D yesterday. So much more team speed. Our guys fly to the ball. First and goal from in close in the 2nd half was disappointing. Why was Jennings not in there to pound it home? They stuck with Vereen for 3 plays in a row and settled for the FG. Big question mark in the play calling inside the 5 IMO. Got to clean that up. Like Piratz said I guess they have no confidence in the blocking. But 2-0 and lots of areas to improve. I'll take it.

Jennings hurt his left hand in 2nd half and that's why you didn't see him in there late. Might not play this week. Giants D has been fantastic. Casillas has been all over the field....love the way he has even playing.

Last year the defense not only found ways to lose in the last two minutes, they gave games away. There is talent and skill positions this year and JPP is healthy and surrounded by better group.

There are still some upgrades needed and a few positions, but overall the talent is vastly better. Should be 3-0 next week in a weak division.

Jennings hurt his left hand in 2nd half and that's why you didn't see him in there late. Might not play this week. Giants D has been fantastic. Casillas has been all over the field....love the way he has even playing.
Thanks for pointing that out - did not know that. I saw him next to the coaches during that series and he had his helmet on so I thought he would be put in. Didn't know he hurt his hand - I guess that is why we saw Darkwa in there.

Great improvement in the defense this season. But what is it with the Giants and getting stalled in the red zone/turning over the ball? Happens every year!

Eagles looking pretty good. Those two games with the G men should be awesome.;)

I think they struggle in the RZ (or "Green Zone", the term Coughlin used that I notice McAdoo, Sullivan and the others still use) because they cannot run the ball consistently.

The offense was very sloppy on Sunday. Hard to win without an offensive TD, 3 turnovers, a missed FG, and an abysmal RZ offense that went 0/3, but they did.

Great to see Eli-to-Cruz back!

Run defense looks much better but I'm not rushing to make any judgement until after the first 4-6 weeks.

I'm thrilled for Cruz though. I didn't think he'd ever make it back and am ecstatic he proved me wrong.

Giants run offense total for the two games is 177 yards on 56 plays for an average of 3.2 yards per carry and 88.5 yards per game. Just can't see them improving the run game much given the make-up of the OL and not having that breakaway back on the roster. Where their mediocre running game really hurts is their inability to run near the goal line a problem that existed under TC his last couple of years as well.

Giants run offense total for the two games is 177 yards on 56 plays for an average of 3.2 yards per carry and 88.5 yards per game. Just can't see them improving the run game much given the make-up of the OL and not having that breakaway back on the roster. Where their mediocre running game really hurts is their inability to run near the goal line a problem that existed under TC his last couple of years as well.

Agreed. The Dallas front was weak and the really took advantage late.

They do not have the personnel along the line or edges that can plow holes in condensed areas.

Further to to talk about Collins...

In his second year, the Giants safety is playing at a completely different level than he did as a rookie. He now can joke about not even recognizing his former self.

"I’m going to be laughing at that guy for a long time," Collins said after Sunday’s 16-13 victory over the Saints as the Giants moved to 2-0 for the first time since 2009. "For as long as I am fortunate enough to play in this league, for as many years that is, I’ll always remember my rookie year for what it taught me."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/football/collins-a-rookie-no-longer-1.1663166

Weren't the Giants 3-3 with 3 TDs in the RZ week one?

Eagles have me a little nervous. Not so much about what they might do this year, but it looks like they have a gem in Wentz.

Weren't the Giants 3-3 with 3 TDs in the RZ week one?

Eagles have me a little nervous. Not so much about what they might do this year, but it looks like they have a gem in Wentz.

They were perfect in Week 1, 2/2. Both passing. Probably not a coincidence.

The Giants were just 29th in the league last year in RZ TD%, so it's been an issue for them.

Agree on Eagles. They have had the Giants number lately too because they have a very good defensive front. And with Schwartz now the DC, they could be even better this year up front.

Giants will be without FS Darian Thompson and RT Marshall Newhouse on Sunday. Potentially big news in both spots with the Redskins' deep threat of DeSean Jackson and their best pass rusher typically lining up on that side.

Sounds like it'll be Nat Behre and Bobby Hart in their places. Oh boy.

Giants will be without FS Darian Thompson and RT Marshall Newhouse on Sunday. Potentially big news in both spots with the Redskins' deep threat of DeSean Jackson and their best pass rusher typically lining up on that side.

Sounds like it'll be Nat Behre and Bobby Hart in their places. Oh boy.

As we've talked since before the NFL draft the OL was an area that needed attention , not only in addressing the weak right side but in having depth. The depth is Hart and Beatty ,not two names that inspire confidence.

As we've talked since before the NFL draft the OL was an area that needed attention , not only in addressing the weak right side but in having depth. The depth is Hart and Beatty ,not two names that inspire confidence.

I had no problem bringing back Beatty or even Schwartz as long as they did add some more depth last year. A high draft choice, a FA signing like Matt Slauson etc. It sure has not seemed to hurt the Pats though. Talk about coaching players up and getting players that fit your system!

http://www.chargers.com/news/2016/08/04/matt-slauson-making-his-mark-o-line

Jackson always plays well vs. the Giants. Redskins have been torched in the secondary so far in first 2 games. I would expect Eli to go after whoever Breeland is covering at WR. He has been atrocious in coverage. Eli should be able to throw all over that secondary. Dont know what to make of Skins. Locker room on verge of chaos already. Reed scares me as Giants usually struggle vs. good pass receiving tight ends.

Agreed, hallgrad and TomD. You saw the warts against the Saints last week.

I think OT Conklin would've been the pick over Eli Apple if other teams didn't out-maneuver Reese at the Draft. He's been outstanding in Tennessee.

The Giants' talent is vastly improved in key spots, but they have zero depth.

Atrocious. To have 11 penalties for 130 yards, 5 player fouls, a player ejected, and 3 turnovers (again) is worse than what we saw against the Panthers last year.

They were up 21-9 and folded like a cheap suit, then lost their minds.

McAdoo has a lot to prove. That team was out of control. Embarrassing game for them.

Atrocious. To have 11 penalties for 130 yards, 5 player fouls, a player ejected, and 3 turnovers (again) is worse than what we saw against the Panthers last year.

McAdoo has a lot to prove. That team was out of control. Embarrassing game for them.

McAdoo must not be a disciplinarian. The Giants had the feel of a Rex Ryan team yesterday with all the penalties, lack of discipline, and mental errors.

He needed to go apeshit on their asses on the sidelines yesterday during the game but did not. That game was simply awful and the Giants have more talent than the Skins. The Redskins were losing players right and left and the Giants could not take advantage because they lost their heads completely. Even Richburg got in on the stupidity and that penalty on the blocked punt was just a killer. When you have a huge play on special teams that most likely decides the game and give it back on a penalty so far away from the play like that - just devastating. It seemed like they were trying to give the game away the entire second half and in fact did and a division game no less. Even with that they still had a chance to win it at the end. The last pass by Eli was inexplicable with tons of time still left. No reason to try and force that one in there when he had to see the LB because he was draped all over the fumbler Vereen. And this week vs. last I thought our D backs were a complete mess.

I was worried going into this game because even though we were 2-0 I did not think we played a good team yet. I don't consider the Skins a good team either which is why I'm really concerned now. Only bright spot was Orleans Darkwa who ran hard and broke tackles. Other than that they showed a lot of weakness out there that the Vikings will exploit.

I know it's all about matchups, but I think next week when we get into the redzone we should try and target one of our three receivers instead of our backup tight end and third string running back.

Sunday was a litmus test for McAdoo given all the emotion and emphasis expected yesterday. He failed. Thought his tone and message was terrible after the game. He comes off generally disconnected and calloused anyway, but until he proves it, not ready for prime time yet.

When your team pisses away a 21-9 lead at home in an absolute must-have game, commits 11 penalties for 128 yards, including 5 personal fouls, an ejection, multiple players out of control in the pivotal 4th quarter, and AGAIN 3 turnovers, it’s time to get tough. This is a breathe fire moment.

That was freaking amateur hour yesterday. Terrible.

I know it's all about matchups, but I think next week when we get into the redzone we should try and target one of our three receivers instead of our backup tight end and third string running back.

Red zone remains a problem. 29th last year, 23rd this year.

even in the loss its clear they are better than the jets. what was i saying about the QB?

while the nyg game ended on elis int, the jets game barely even existed because of all of fitzpatrick's ints.

Sunday was a litmus test for McAdoo given all the emotion and emphasis expected yesterday. He failed. Thought his tone and message was terrible after the game. He comes off generally disconnected and calloused anyway, but until he proves it, not ready for prime time yet.

When your team pisses away a 21-9 lead at home in an absolute must-have game, commits 11 penalties for 128 yards, including 5 personal fouls, an ejection, multiple players out of control in the pivotal 4th quarter, and AGAIN 3 turnovers, it’s time to get tough. This is a breathe fire moment.

That was freaking amateur hour yesterday. Terrible.

Red zone remains a problem. 29th last year, 23rd this year.

Playing smart disciplined football starts with the head coach and the tone he sets in the pre-season camp and in the practices between games and with McAdoo that doesn't appear to be his style to be that tough , disciplined coach . It's only three games in his career as a head coach so it's too early to judge if he was the right choice or not but how he addresses the on- field issues we saw yesterday are important.

On a separate note , wouldn't it be nice if ODB would just concentrate on playing football and knock off the wise-ass attitude he displays too often on the field.

I see some lean years ahead for NYG. It would be a shame to see OBJ's prime get squandered by what appears to be bad personnel and coaching decisions.

And as the resident anti-Philly sports poster, it's particularly painful to see this happening while the Eagles seem to have found a gem in Carson Wentz.

Did you guys see this? This was caught on tape from last week against the Saints.

Someone needs to get this kind under control. Has lost all benefit of the doubt now, I think.

How did the official at the bottom of the screen not see that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT