ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RU Football...ouch!!

Rutgers made a deal with the devil when they joined the Big 10. They took the money, now they're paying for it, and the vig is through the roof. Money is nice, but not at the expense of being humiliated in football and basketball week in and week out.
They were humiliated week in and week out in both football and basketball in the Big East as well. The Atlantic 10 was a very high ceiling for them and they never should have left.

I don't care what they do in football, and as for basketball, as long as we beat them, that's all that matters to me. Don't want to experienced last year again...it truly hurt ..even more because of the team we had.

Wow. Gave up 40 points. Beyond embarrassing. How will Ash be able to recruit after this start?

There was a great line that a college football guru used regarding Rutgers when they were going into the Big 10. “Rutgers football oh yeah, they were relevant for about 10 minutes”

Buffalo has some talent but that was an embarrassment. First win ever against a B10 team.

Reactions: Bluebeard
There was a great line that a college football guru used regarding Rutgers when they were going into the Big 10. “Rutgers football oh yeah, they were relevant for about 10 minutes”

Pat Hobbs and Chris Ash are both destined for different workplaces in the next 2 years. Hobbs might make a very good Prexy for us.

"...but at least one group of professors must think Ash is the best thing ever.

The geologists.

They finally get to examine rock bottom."

Ouch! You know the state of RU football is really bad when even Jerry writes an article like this, much less Politi's damning article from last week.

Politi is just always looking to damn something or somebody.

Hiring a Law School dean who was pressed into service to fill a secondary role overseeing a troubled basketball program at Seton Hall Is not the recipe or the ideal candidate for someone to run an athletic program in the B1G especially when you consider he had no experience or exposure to D-1 football. I guess after the debacle that was Julie Hermann Hobbs probably looked good to the RU Board and he wound up with the job.

Hiring a Law School dean who was pressed into service to fill a secondary role overseeing a troubled basketball program at Seton Hall Is not the recipe or the ideal candidate for someone to run an athletic program in the B1G especially when you consider he had no experience or exposure to D-1 football. I guess after the debacle that was Julie Hermann Hobbs probably looked good to the RU Board and he wound up with the job.
80 don't you think he was hired as the prudent lawyer and dean to deal with the Herman situation just like with Gonzalez and Quinlan? he made a prudent decision with his 2 SHU hires. I thought of Hobbs as a Bob Mueller type. I never thought he would stay as a long term AD.

Does RU get asked to leave the B1G the way Temple was asked to leave the old Big East for football?

80 don't you think he was hired as the prudent lawyer and dean to deal with the Herman situation just like with Gonzalez and Quinlan? he made a prudent decision with his 2 SHU hires. I thought of Hobbs as a Bob Mueller type. I never thought he would stay as a long term AD.

Does RU get asked to leave the B1G the way Temple was asked to leave the old Big East for football?

Tom
I believe that Hobbs was qualified to come in , as he did with the BG problem at SH , to deal with the Julie Hermann situation but not to become the AD. I believe the ideal solution for RU at that point in time was to hire him as an Executive Vice President with the athletic program reporting to him but having him hire an experienced AD who would have the day to day responsibilities for RU’s athletic program. That would leave Hobbs to concentrate on building the athletic infrastructure at RU, fund raising, expanding the fan base , etc in addition to overseeing the AD .

Pat Hobbs can't run an athletic program at an embarrassing state university and you're suggesting that he be considered to be President of Seton Hall University. No thanks!!

Running football at Ru is an impossible task. He’d make a good college Prexy. He was a great law school dean.

You would be right. Hobbs now has a big loser tag attached to his collar. We no longer need him nor should we want him. He couldn't wait to accept that job at RU and leave SHU behind, now let him wallow in it. Seton Hall alum should have no sympathy for that man.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
You would be right. Hobbs now has a big loser tag attached to his collar. We no longer need him nor should we want him. He couldn't wait to accept that job at RU and leave SHU behind, now let him wallow in it. Seton Hall alum should have no sympathy for that man.
No idea why Seton Hall thought it was a good idea to make Hobbs interim AD. Quinlan was embarrassing the department with the clown show he was running and Sheeran had no clue about athletics which is why we basically had a fan with no athletic experience running the department. Thank God he wasn't named permanently. We hired Quinlan from Rutgers (colossal mistake of epic proportions), I think we should have learned our lesson right there! If you can't make it at lowly Rutgers then you should not be rewarded with a bigger job at Seton Hall!

Reactions: TomD82
I always thought Hobbs was hired as Rutgers AD at the urging of governor Christie who owed Hobbs.
If I remember right, Christie thought he would be President and promised Hobbs some sort of cabinet position. Instead Hobbs wound up with a position at Rutgers as a consolation prize. Talk about winding up with the crappy end of the stick! It's like ordering lobster and getting frozen, cafeteria grade fish sticks!

If I remember right, Christie thought he would be President and promised Hobbs some sort of cabinet position. Instead Hobbs wound up with a position at Rutgers as a consolation prize. Talk about winding up with the crappy end of the stick! It's like ordering lobster and getting frozen, cafeteria grade fish sticks!

Don’t insult Mrs. Paul or Gorton like that.

There were all types of rumors surrounding Hobbs hiring and he was hired without RU doing any search or interviewing other candidates which would lead one to speculate that someone with considerable power wanted him in that job. There were also rumors that if he turned RU’s football and basketball around he could become a viable candidate to become RU’s president if he was interested .

Hobbs was the Ombudsman (an official appointed to investigate individuals' complaints against maladministration, especially that of public authorities.) on Christie’s campaign staff during his presidential run and had a close relationship with Christie.

There were all types of rumors surrounding Hobbs hiring and he was hired without RU doing any search or interviewing other candidates which would lead one to speculate that someone with considerable power wanted him in that job. There were also rumors that if he turned RU’s football and basketball around he could become a viable candidate to become RU’s president if he was interested .
That’s also pretty much how Hermann got the AD job...

That’s also pretty much how Hermann got the AD job...
The difference was RU did a search and interviewed a number of candidates , several of whom were more qualified then she was but a powerful voice on the Board wanted a women and she got her way.

Reactions: TomD82

This is 1000% correct (at minimum a cabinet level role and help Hobbs from there) and anyone saying anything else has no clue what they are talking about.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
As much as I chuckle thinking about another low point in the history of RU athletics (and it has been an annuity); I really feel bad for the students and alumni who do take pride in their alma mater.

Also, as a parent who would love to find a cost effective state school to send their child to; it’s an unwinnable discussion to tell them they would find a way to enjoy the school compared to other major State Universities like Penn State, Ohio St, etc..

It’s not good.

Reactions: Pirate6711
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT