ADVERTISEMENT

PC Loses Owens

Those are two hits to the PC mojo. Ugh.

Both hits are to their front court but there still are some transfers with size who are still out there that are eligible to play immediately. Be interesting to see if Cooleycan pull a little recruiting magic and fill this gap.

This idiot appeared in a rap video, with guns, drugs, underage kids, swearing and wads of $100 bills. It was over the minute that hit the internet. Some of these kids receive horrible counseling, or none.

CRAZY... Alex Owens is also apparently a rapper known as "AO" he's the tall, not in bball shape dude drinking liquor most of the video... Raps at the end too.

Tons of guns, drugs and gang colors/signs in this video.

I looked at some of his other videos. Chilling. Some are from a month ago, but others, such as the song 'Lucifer,' go back to June 2014. Don't schools look more into a recruit than just whether they can play basketball? I'm the first to admit I don't understand the gun-and-gang culture, but it doesn't seem to be something that would translate well to a college campus. In fairness to PC, he is now not coming. But why was he extended a scholarship offer in the first place? The clips of little kids in the video is unsettling, which might be the part of the videos point if you want to (over) analyze it.

Reactions: SPK145
We had this top recruiter named Bob Simon who has now taken a Assistant Head Coaching job under Avery Johnson at Alabama. While many at PC think the guy is Holy, he not only recruited Owens but also Brandon Austin FWIW.

As we all know our 2 schools have to take risks from time to time, but I have no room for it anymore as I get older. I would rather have the 4 year players that run a bit under the radar like Ryan Gomes, Bryce Cotton, and LaDontae Henton. Owens has a ton of talent and there is a reason why a kid like that commits to a PC or an SHU instead of one the the big schools where he had the talent to play at and the reason is clear to all now.

Anyway PC got Jeff Battle to replace Simon, he's the one who recruited Chris Paul and Jeff Teague to Wake so PC came out okay in all this. Ed Cooley believes he is a strong enough personality to dramatically impact these kids that have issues but fortunately or unfortunately he will never get the chance with Owens because of the kids decisions.

Corny, Looking at PC's roster a few weeks ago, what I liked was that it seemed well-stocked with what appeared to be potentially solid four-year players. The frontcourt also appeared deep. Then Chukwu left, a big loss in my view.

Corny, Looking at PC's roster a few weeks ago, what I liked was that it seemed well-stocked with what appeared to be potentially solid four-year players. The frontcourt also appeared deep. Then Chukwu left, a big loss in my view.
Yes, big surprise to everyone. He is a loss for sure. 2nd year in a row we lost a player late who was a starter(Josh Fortune) where there were rumors that they were not completely happy at the school and how they were used. Both times after leaving school to go home after the school year ended. Fortune was told by someone that an ACC school thought he could be a point guard, and Chuckwu was told by his HS Coach that he is a pro not a college player and all the offense should flow through him and that Cooley did not use him right his freshman year. All these kids these days need to be told all the time how great they are or they jet. No way I could coach this generation.

Corny
This current era of basketball for schools competing for the higher rated talent is one where the days of having rosters made up of 4 year players is over . It's an era of far more frequent turnover caused by players leaving early for the pros and record numbers of players opting to transfer thus creating greater roster instability and I personally don't see that changing.

Last edited:
Corny
This current era of basketball for schools competing for the higher rated talent is one where the days of having rosters made up of 4 year players is over . It's an era of far more frequent turnover caused by players leaving early for the pros and record numbers of players opting to transfer thus creating greater roster instability and I personally don't see that changing.
Yep, no doubt what you say is true. I try hard not to even read the recruiting threads on our board anymore. I've turned into an I will see who is on the team 1st game and root for those guys type of fan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT