ADVERTISEMENT

Player's brother arrested

Bobbie Solo

All World
Dec 31, 2003
Bayonne Leave It Alone
woah. this sounds crazy.
http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2017/11/suspect_arrested_for_killing_man_at_applebees_auth.html

Police have made an arrest in the execution-style killing of a ma at a Lawrence Applebee's restaurant last week, authorities said.
Noel Powell III, 27, of Lawrence, was charged with murder after he was taken into custody Sunday afternoon by the Mercer County Homicide Task Force and the U.S. Marshals NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force, the Mercer County Prosecutor's Office said.

Powell is accused of shooting Devin Smith, 23, in the back of his head at 12:25 a.m. Tuesday while he was sitting at the bar of the chain restaurant on Route 1 north.

In addition to murder, Powell is charged with possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of a weapon, the statement said.

The prosecutor's office will be filing a motion to have Powell detained. He is being held at the Mercer County Correction Center.

No motive has been disclosed in the slaying. Smith had a 3-year-old daughter.

Paige Gross may be reached at pgross@njadvancemedia.com. Follow her on Twitter @By_paigegross. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

As a new member but one that has been reading this forum for over a year, I do find this thread unnecessary. It is a tragedy to both families and certainly not a way to encourage potential recruits. Additionally as we can all see Myles has had a positive impact at SHU and should not have to be "pulled" into this on the forum.

Myles has his teammates, the coaching staff , Pat Lyons and his staff and the extended SH family who will provide the support he needs at a time like this. I would also hope that if he needs any type of counseling SH will see that he gets it.

I have changed the title on the thread. There's no need to single out one of our players and no need posting the details like that.

The information since it has already been posted will stay as noted.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Our world is really getting out of control when you cant go to an Applebees and not have the possibility of getting executed.

Sad, very sad.

I am sure the deceased was not much better if he had someone so mad at him to shoot him execution style at a crummy chain restaurant, but have to feel for the patrons of the place to see this happen.

As a new member but one that has been reading this forum for over a year, I do find this thread unnecessary. It is a tragedy to both families and certainly not a way to encourage potential recruits. Additionally as we can all see Myles has had a positive impact at SHU and should not have to be "pulled" into this on the forum.
Agreed, there is no need for this thread. Sadly though it seems it will be allowed to stay.

Prayers for all involved.

Couldn't agree any more. Very sad to see this thread continue.

It’s never an easy decision whether to post this type of story or not and arguments can be made both ways on that subject. I personally would not have but the story does reflect what happened and it’s likely unrealistic to believe that it wouldn’t wind up on this Board . Because it’s now here it also gives us the opportunity to tell Myles that we understand how difficult this is for him and that he has the support of all of us as he deals with this tragedy.

As moderators of this board Tom and I are in a no win situation. Keep a negative post up and we get complaints. Delete a negative post and we are hindering freedom of speech.

Personally, I would not have posted this story but since it's up deleting it makes it seem like only positive news is encouraged on the board.

Like I said, a no win situation.

That said prayers for everyone who has been affected by this terrible incident.

Reactions: Abbo71
I have changed the title on the thread. There's no need to single out one of our players and no need posting the details like that.

The information since it has already been posted will stay as noted.

I wrote what happened, and who it involved. I mean, that's generally what would go in a title. I didn't "single out" anyone, nor did I say that Myles Powell was involved or anything. Whatever, guess it doesn't really matter.

As far as the thread existing, lets go through the complaints like we always do . First off, recruits don't read message boards. Young kids in general don't read boards. And even if they did, what would this story have to do with whether they came here or not? It's news, it happened. It's on every local news site right now and apparently has been news for a few days.

It involved Myles' brother, it's current news, so I posted it b/c I thought it was relevant for a place where the whole point is for us to discuss things around SHU bball. I don't recall this pearl clutching and false outrage when Herb Pope got arrested, or when Keon's mom fought Jordan's mom, or pick out your own salacious story to use as an example. Loosen up people. We're not gonna lose to URI bc I provided a hyperlink to something on the internet.

Per a further story, this involves the families of both parties:

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2017/11/applebees_killing_related_to_years-old_sex_abuse_a.html

This is relevant to this board so we can understand where players come from and what they may be going through now and in the future.
+1. I don't think you can ignore stories especially when they impact the player and family so profoundly. IMO it serves some more positive purposes including a way to show support for one of our players in a very difficult time and also give us a perspective of some of the challenges that these kids face in their lives, that many of us normally don't see.

A publlc story about a public Seton Hall player is fair game. It's not a rumor, etc.

Like I said a no win situation. Just read above and you will see readers asking for this thread to be deleted and others defending the right to post it.

I took the middle ground by editing the title and keeping the thread here.

Dan, can you create a safe space on the board for when people get offended? It will only have uplifting stories. Readers can get blue ribbons just for reading each thread. If people are not all fuzzy after reading the threads we can find a shelter to give puppies to make them feel better.

Wake up people. There are bad people in this world and bad things happen. Sometimes people we know are involved or related to people involved. We can't hide from it

Last edited:
The issue is two fold.

This is a player's relative and not the player. Some might think that difference is important in posting the story here.

The title identified one of our players by name and then noted the word murder. Again, that's not fair to the player.

Bottom line and without sarcasm. the thread remained with some editing. That's the best I can do to appease both sides in the debate.

Like I said a no win situation. Just read above and you will see readers asking for this thread to be deleted and others defending the right to post it.

And you are fine here, thanks for all the great stuff you do, just responding to those wanting to sweep anything not 100% SHU positive under the rug.

I agree you are stuck in the middle, but really not sure why any poster would say this should be removed or is not relevant. As Bobbie stated, definitely news, it is completely accurate and it does impact one of our players pretty close to home.

Reactions: SPK145
Maybe if it wasnt posted it would have sheltered our player from media inquiries. How long would it have taken the media to figure it out, if ever. Obviously someone leaked it.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
There is never 100% agreement when the public voices it's opinion on a controversial topic.

Good decision making from Dan and Tom as usual.

Totally unnecessary!
Sorry but those of you pilloring the OP and those who note the hard circumstances some players grow up in are wrong. Relevant story about a player on our team. Reason to be proud of those who resist the temptation of crime. Many D1 players grow up with greater burdens than we can imagine. Lets recognize that and support them. Not pretend otherwise.

The issue is two fold.

This is a player's relative and not the player. Some might think that difference is important in posting the story here.

The title identified one of our players by name and then noted the word murder. Again, that's not fair to the player.

Bottom line and without sarcasm. the thread remained with some editing. That's the best I can do to appease both sides in the debate.
IMO, you did the right thing and handled it as best it can. Good job.

Journalists look up family members for investigative stories all the time. Yeah, Myles' name isn't in any articles, but the two names are together in various places online, which is understandable since they're brothers.

Reactions: shu09
Who is scrutinizing crime stories from the Trenton area and running names to see if a suspect is related to one of our players????

Not too hard to put two and two together. I saw this article Sunday night, saw the name Powell and checked Myles' biography on the SH athletics website. Sure enough, the accused's name was listed as his older brother in the personal section.

Reactions: Pirate6711
Not too hard to put two and two together. I saw this article Sunday night, saw the name Powell and checked Myles' biography on the SH athletics website. Sure enough, the accused's name was listed as his older brother in the personal section.
Ok. Fair enough.

You knew on Sunday and made the right decision not to post it here. I'm sure there are many of us here who knew who also decided it would be in Myle's best interest to wait to discuss this. The kid deserved as much time as possible to deal with this before his connection was made public.

You knew on Sunday and made the right decision not to post it here. I'm sure there are many of us here who knew who also decided it would be in Myle's best interest to wait to discuss this. The kid deserved as much time as possible to deal with this before his connection was made public.
Exactly! Let's not do the media's research for them. Despite our current Top 20 ranking, special senior class and post season aspirations there are many in the local media who largely ignore Seton Hall in favor of covering a school that hasn't done anything in over a quarter century. Now, do we want them to continue to ignore all of that but start sniffing around in order to make one of our guys, who is not at all involved except for sharing the same DNA, uncomfortable and bring attention to something he had absolutely no control over so that they can get clicks and sell dying newspapers?

Think about this. Would you want your family airing your family's dirty laundry in public? Myles deserves better and we should do better by him. Sad that this has to be explained to some of you.

It would be a totally different story if one of our players actually did or participated in such a crime but that's not what happened here.

If the victim had been the family member of someone on the team would people still be critical of the OP? Its a news story, its real life, and nobody is saying there is guilt by association.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT