ADVERTISEMENT

Player's brother arrested

If the victim had been the family member of someone on the team would people still be critical of the OP? Its a news story, its real life, and nobody is saying there is guilt by association.
There's a difference between negative attention, which this story brings, and sympathy, which your scenario would bring. Again, sad this has to be spelled out for some of you.

If the victim had been the family member of someone on the team would people still be critical of the OP? Its a news story, its real life, and nobody is saying there is guilt by association.
A family member of an accused criminal is not a news story. That is why the reporters are withholding the information. The information should have been withheld here too.

A family member of an accused criminal is not a news story. That is why the reporters are withholding the information. The information should have been withheld here too.

Another self appointed tribune.

It's public information and fair play to be discussed. It's real life. It's relevant. It's news. The problem is many cannot balance that line and it ends up being an insult to the player because it's handled clumsily or in a calloused manner.

I have no idea of the relationships within the Powell family or what was going on that ended in this horrible, vile result, but I do think we tend to forget the real struggles these kids come from.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pirate6711
It's public information and fair play to be discussed. It's real life. It's relevant. It's news. The problem is many cannot balance that line and it ends up being an insult to the player because it's handled clumsily or in a calloused manner.

I have no idea of the relationships within the Powell family or what was going on that ended in this horrible, vile result, but I do think we tend to forget the real struggles these kids come from

It all depends on who the family member is . Does a sophomore player on a NJ team have enough name recognition to be cited in the news reports of a family member , a brother, accused of murder and some will say yes others will say no.

The original articles mention the accused and the victim. The fact the accused has a relative in the public eye was either not known by the reporters or the reporters decided that piece of information was not pertinent to the story.

If that additional piece of information was leaked to me, I would not have posted it here. Others did, so now we all know. This is a tragedy on multiple levels and I wish we as a group would leave it alone and let those affected grieve without our input.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
If that additional piece of information was leaked to me, I would not have posted it here. Others did, so now we all know. This is a tragedy on multiple levels and I wish we as a group would leave it alone and let those affected grieve without our input.

You don't think it's important to support/help Myles during this difficult period?

The original articles mention the accused and the victim. The fact the accused has a relative in the public eye was either not known by the reporters or the reporters decided that piece of information was not pertinent to the story.

Nobody reporting the story is withholding information.

You don't think it's important to support/help Myles during this difficult period?
I think the best way we can help and support Myles during this difficult period would be to let him keep his personal life personal. If the media put two and two together that's out of our hands as no one on these boards are members of the media. Handing the media and others this information just gives Myles one less place to escape from this devastating event.

LOL what? this post is saying verbatim what it took from the REPORTERS.

If youre talking about connecting it to myles theres a strong possibility they didnt even know.

i think this is a good post, as the pirate faithful can reach out in support and get behind myles. im rooting for him extra hard now.

Bottom line we all support Myles, hes a great player for us and i can only imagine what hes going through. Hopefully he finds comfort in the team and an escape on the court. We all love myles powell and want nothing but for him to be BE POY by senior year (which i think he can do)

"these kids".....what does that mean?

Those who live in situations where they have family members going through the types of things Myles is dealing with right now. Players who come from difficult environments they were born into where neighborhoods may be rough, money is scarce, violence abounds, and so on and so forth for whatever the reason. Just because they play major D1 basketball at Seton Hall doesn't mean they escape hardship.

The types of challenges that have been well chronicled over the years, including with our own players. The point is that it's important to have empathy and understanding to be supportive of Myles and anyone else who may be in that kind of position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT