ADVERTISEMENT

Portrait of a senior citizen

Fordham_57

All World
Jun 3, 2001
I do not watch soccer unless it involves the USA or Italy in the World Cup----

I don’t watch hockey unless it involves New York or New Jersey teams in the Stanley Cup Playoffs---

I have no interest in Nascar---

I have no interest in women’s sports---

I love NFL football

I have interest in NBA only when Knicks field a competitive team---

I originally disliked Lebron when he dumped Cleveland. Now, I root for him even though I dislike the way he overtly badly treats his coach.

I love Seton Hall basketball---

I was not upset at Sterling Gibbs leaving after witnessing the mugging of Arcidiacono---

I love baseball---

I like traditional boxing---

I hate kick boxing and any of the X games or new sports (Ski boarding, skate boarding, etc)

I like to play golf, but seldom watch it; and now never watch it that Tiger is a non-factor---

Frank
I wonder how that would compare to some of the younger and middle age posters profiles like Jcalc and Seton 75???

Man, you are far older than I thought...What has happened to me is that I turn off games when my team is losing. Maybe it is cause I have a remote in my hand and a thousand other channels. But I never used to do that. And I turn on another channel at a commercial, and wake up at 4am with some infomercial on and cant figure out how I got to that channel in the first place.

I love the NFL too, but being a fb fan is so easy...a few hours a day once a week.

I hate golf in person or on TV and think every gold course is a waste of space and water that pollutes more and more and should be blown up...

I love baseball, I love the NBA and am enjoying this finals more than any since the Lakers last won, and love college hoops though I rarely watch anything but BE hoops now that it is so available on FOX. Always liked Lebron. I think my love of college hoops diminishes with the lack of success of our team. I call myself a sports baby now, if my team isn't playing well, I take my channel changer and go somewhere else...waahh

Nascar, nah, the new types of boxing, really never watched, don't watch WWE anymore.

Love the MLB network. Does that blonde girl who does Quick Pitch really know baseball or does she just have a good script?

I keep telling myself I am gonna let my season tickets lapse and watch more local HS hoops but never pull that trigger. I long for a year when our play brings me more pleasure than the people I watch the game with.

I put together an ottoman Sunday night, and had my legs stretched out while putting in eight damned screws, and my thighs are tighter than a gnats ass. After all is said and done, that tells me how old I really am.

Love the MLB network. Does that blonde girl who does Quick Pitch really know baseball or does she just have a good script?
Her name is Heidi Watney and she does know a lot about baseball. She's been working in baseball for the last 8 years and sports journalism for the last 12, so she's much better than your average talking hairdo.

maxresdefault.jpg

heidiwatney.jpg

c619564a-c682-4c18-ace2-08e067d2cc64.jpg

I grew up in Newark and Hillside. I watch the sports that we played as kids in the city streets and playgrounds namely baseball. basketball and football. I used to watch boxing and pro wrestling but rarely do any more. The other sports hockey, soccer etc I have little interest in.

TK

Sports and my individual favorites

Baseball - Mickey Mantle
Football - Joe Namath
Basketball - Walt Frazier
Hockey - Eddie Giacomin
Boxing - Joe Frazier
Wrestling - Stone Cold Steve Austin
Golf - Tiger Woods
Horse Racing - Secretariat
Tennis - Jimmy Connors
Beer Pong - Harty9

I am getting old about to turn 27....

I do not watch soccer unless it involves the USA or Italy in the World Cup---- I watch soccer - the premier league

I don’t watch hockey unless it involves New York or New Jersey teams in the Stanley Cup Playoffs--- I watch hockey any chance I get, especially if its the rangers.

I have no interest in Nascar--- Zero interest but I did recently get into Formula 1

I have no interest in women’s sports--- Women play sports?

I love NFL football Amen

I have interest in NBA only when Knicks field a competitive team--- Only when Knicks win or golden state plays

I originally disliked Lebron when he dumped Cleveland. Now, I root for him even though I dislike the way he overtly badly treats his coach. - Hate Lebron but dam is he amazing

I love Seton Hall basketball--- Love/hate relationship

I was not upset at Sterling Gibbs leaving after witnessing the mugging of Arcidiacono--- Should have hit him harder... Kidding?

I love baseball--- Starting to bore me

I like traditional boxing--- wish their was a great boxer i could root for

I hate kick boxing and any of the X games or new sports (Ski boarding, skate boarding, etc) Agreed

I like to play golf, but seldom watch it; and now never watch it that Tiger is a non-factor--- Agreed

Baseball - Mickey Mantle
Football - Joe Namath
Basketball - Walt Frazier
Hockey - Eddie Giacomin
Boxing - Joe Frazier
Wrestling - Stone Cold Steve Austin
Golf - Tiger Woods
Horse Racing - Secretariat
Beer Pong - Harty9

Since Dan gave his favorites I'll give mine:

Baseball Hitter - The Duke of Flatbush
Pitcher - Doc Gooden or Jerry Koosman
Basketball- Nick Werkman
NBA Basketball- Earl "the Pearl" Monroe (John Havilcek is 2nd)
Football - Leroy Kelly (I grew up a Browns fan) Joe Nameth is second
Boxing - Muhammed Ali
Wrestling - Handsome Johnny Barend (I liked all the bad guys)
Tennis - Nadal
Golf, Hockey, Soccer - Don't care

Baseball - Mickey Mantle

I've never experienced in my almost 60 years (yeah, I'm immature) the degree of adulation I felt whenever Mickey Mantle came up to bat during a Yankee game in the 60s.. It was a strict rule in our house for my brother and I to stop whatever we were doing at the time to watch Mickey's at bat. We would live and die with each pitch. No other sport's hero comes close to matching my hero worship for the Mick. Lawrence Taylor is a very distant second.

Now here is the list of the "best" players that I ever saw-

Baseball - Willie Mays
Pitcher - Sandy Koufax
Football - Jimmy Brown
Basketball - Michael Jordan with Havilcek second as a big game player
Boxing - Muhammed Ali

I don't watch enough of the other sports to truly evaluate.

TK

Baseball Hitter - Maury Wills
Pitcher - Koufax/Hershiser/Fernando
Basketball- Dehere
NBA Basketball- Magic and West and Kareem and Kobe (it aint easy being a Laker fan!)
Football - Johnny U, LT and Eli in the Super Bowl
Boxing - Muhammed Ali
Wrestling - JWD
Tennis - Conners
Hockey - Brodeur and Stevens

Since Dan and Tom listed theirs here's mine:
Baseball - Mariano Rivera
Football - the legendary LT
Pro BB- Dave DeBusschere
SH Basketball - Glen Mosley
Soccer - Fran Beckenbauer
Women's soccer - Mia Hamm

No opinion on golf, tennis , NASCAR, pro wrestling , hockey

The only sports I still follow are major league baseball and college basketball. I might be done with baseball as I haven't watched a single pitch this season. I've been a Dodger fan since the '60s and have no idea what place they're in or what their roster looks like. So sports has lost most of its hold on me.

My main hobby is music (as a listener not a musician). Most of my friends have stopped with that, and only listen to old records. Since I'm not a nostalgic person, I tend to not listen to my childhood favorites as I've already spent enough time with those records. I haven't listened to a Beatles album in about 30 years. At 57, I still pick up more than 100 albums a year. I have a huge music collection, and drive my wife crazy when I tell her I have nothing new to listen to.

Favorite five college basketball players ever: Glenn Mosley, Lionel Simmons, David Thompson, Stephen Curry, Phil Ford.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I'll take my shot at it. I'm somewhere between JCalz88 and Fordham57 on the age scale, though maybe a few ticks closer to JCalz:

I do not watch soccer unless it involves the USA or Italy in the World Cup---- I love the World Cup, and even watch some Philadelphia Union (MLS) games. I try to devote a little time to he English Premier League

I don’t watch hockey unless it involves New York or New Jersey teams in the Stanley Cup Playoffs--- Hockey is off my radar, almost completely, though I used to love it. Not sure what happened....

I have no interest in Nascar--- ZERO. Less than zero.

I have no interest in women’s sports--- I like women's hoops, especially college. Not much interest in the WNBA, but I don't care about the NBA either.

I love NFL football --- Hate it. I like college football, but I am really beginning to dislike it for the deleterious effect it's had on college athletics and universities in general, but that's a whole other story.

I have interest in NBA only when Knicks field a competitive team--- Not even then. I root for the 76ers, but don't have an emotional investment.

I originally disliked Lebron when he dumped Cleveland. Now, I root for him even though I dislike the way he overtly badly treats his coach. --- Feel exactly the same way.

I love Seton Hall basketball--- Sure, same here.

I was not upset at Sterling Gibbs leaving after witnessing the mugging of Arcidiacono--- I was very upset about him leaving, and especially the circumstances that let him (and others) to feel alienated from the program. It's a systemic problem that won't be cured until the head coach is swept out. But Sterling is a good kid.

I love baseball--- Best sport there is.

I like traditional boxing--- Me too, although nowhere neat as much as I used to when the heavyweight division was great. You'd have too be in your 40s by now to remember that.

I hate kick boxing and any of the X games or new sports (Ski boarding, skate boarding, etc). Same here. Skateboarding and snowboarding an all that are pretty cool, but they're activities, not spectator sports. Kick boxing is a nonentity and the barbaric "combat sports" (an oxymoron) constitute criminal behavior, the lowest common denominator of a society.

I like to play golf, but seldom watch it; and now never watch it that Tiger is a non-factor--- Love playing golf, seldom watch it, though I enjoy it a lot more since Tiger went AWOL. Too much dominance isn't interersting, especially when it was by such an unlikeable jerk.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Born in '76, so probably somewhere between jcalz and Source...

- College Hoops - Grew up in CT and was a huge UConn fan during the Chris Smith, Nadav Henefeld era. (basically the beginning of their rise to prominence). Can't stand that team or program now as I have a lot of friends who went there so I've taken quite a few beatings over the years. Probably never been as passionate about any sport as I've been with college hoops.

- Baseball - Probably my 2nd favorite sport. Grew up a NYY fan but Lenny Dykstra (of all people) was my favorite player even though he was a Met, so once he got traded to the Phillies I became a Phillies fan, and happen to live in the area now.

- Pro Football - Huge Giants fan. In the late 80s/ early 90s I used to have to watch them by myself on a small TV we had upstairs because I had tendency to lose my temper a bit watching them. (I've channeled those mild temper tantrums towards SHU games now) .

- Was a huge heavyweight boxing fan during Tyson's heyday. But it basically been cannibalized by UFC and the other MMA stuff out there. Although the people running boxing through the years probably have only themselves to blame.

As far as Heidi Watney, she knows her stuff and is definitely easy on the eyes, but someone at mlbnetwork get Alanna Rizzo back over there asap!

Reactions: Muggsy Blue
As a member of the "younger" generation...

I have no interest in soccer whatsoever.

I don't watch regular season hockey, but over the last five or six years I have watched nearly every playoff game. Besides CBB and MLB, the best playoffs out there. Incredibly exciting.

I have no interest in NASCAR.

I have no interest in women's sports.

I hate the NFL.

I have zero interest in the NBA. Worst style of play there is, which is a big reason why I'm a fan of CBB. The worst thing we can do is make it more like the NBA.

Seton Hall basketball is the only sports team I truly root for.

I love the sport of baseball, but I must admit I have watched less and less of it over the years. I don't know why that is as I've always been fascinated by the sport. I just haven't devoted the time to watching games every night. That said, I will watch every playoff game in October. I do not root for any baseball team, contrary to what I did as a child.

I hate boxing, wrestling, anything like that. Might be the worst sport out there.

Golf is my favorite sport to play these days and I also enjoy watching it and following the PGA Tour.

My take as someone not quite as old as Fordham...

World Cup Soccer is the only time I watch but I find it intense and exciting except for the dives!

I don’t watch a regular season hockey game in it's entirety. Playoff hockey is the best...watched a good amount this year but not as much with the Devils missing them.

Also no interest in Nascar, but have an interest in going to a live race just to check the box.

I do enjoy watching some womens sports...college BB, beach volleyball (Walsh/Trainer), track

I love NFL football but only watch a Giant or Packer game in total.

I have little interest in NBA but this final has been fun...Knicks field a competitive team??? Now that's funny!

I think Lebron is an incredibly special talent but I don't get the urge to root for him.

Love SHU MBB but I didn't watch much after February this year. Too painful to watch a coach give up on his team.

I can't tell you the last time I watched an entire baseball game. Part my age and lack of patience; PED's and games drag on too long.

Mayweather/Pacquio showed how badly the sport of boxing has gotten.

I do enjoy watching golf majors. If you play the game you really appreciate how good these guys are.

Favorites?
Baseball Hitter - Mattingly (that swing)
Pitcher - Guidry/Rivera
College Basketball- Jerry Walker
NBA Basketball - Charles Oakley
Football - Mark Bavaro
Boxing - Joe Frazier
Wrestling - George "The Animal" Steele
Tennis - No one
Hockey - Scott Stevens (most intimidating with talent)
Golf - Arnie (a gentleman and showed you can win with an ugly swing) but looking forward to McIlroy vs Speith for years to come
Soccer - Pele

NewFavorites?
Baseball Hitter -willie mays
Pitcher - Dwight gooden
NBA Basketball - Julius Erving
Football - Earl Campbell
Boxing - Sugar Ray Leonard
Wrestling - none
Tennis - John McEnroe
Hockey - bob nystrom
Golf -john daly
Soccer - None

Interesting topic. I wouldn't consider myself a younger member of the board or an older one so I guess I'm in the mid range (wow that made me feel old typing that)

I do not watch soccer unless it involves the USA or Germany in the World Cup or Olympics

I don’t watch hockey. I used to be a Devils fan in high school.

I have no interest in women’s sports, except maybe beach volleyball. I do watch Rhonda Rousey fights though.

I love NFL football

I have interest in NBA only when Knicks field a competitive team...I did enjoy watching Golden State play this year

I respect Lebron's talent and think he's the best player in the world but I don't particularly like or dislike him.

I love Seton Hall basketball---my most unhealthy addiction

I am upset at Gibbs leaving.....he would've helped our team this year. I didn't like what he did to Arch but he owned and Arch took the high road so forgiven and forgotten

I love baseball--- Baseball was my first love and my best sport but I have mixed feelings on it now. The Yankees are my team but Jeter was the heart of that team and they don't have the same appeal for me this year.

I don't like traditional boxing--- I've been training MMA for many years so to me boxing is just one component of a much better sport.

I like kick boxing but not any of the X games or new sports (Ski boarding, skate boarding, etc) except maybe surfing

I like to play golf, but seldom watch it; and now never watch it that Tiger is a non-factor---

Baseball - Don Mattingly and Derek Jeter
Football - Joe Montana
Basketball - Patrick Ewing
Hockey - Marty Brodeur
Boxing - Bald Bull
Wrestling - Triple H
Golf - Arnold Palmer
Horse Racing -Sea Biscuit
Tennis - Pete Sampras
UFC- Frankie Edgar (Toms River, NJ!)

Soccer- like it more than I used to, but the diving and fake injuries are too dramatic for me

Boxing- was 11 when Ali Frazier 1 occurred, it was all we talked about in school- a fan all the way to Mike Tyson, who I think turned everyone against it. Favorite fight ever -Hearns v Hagler, which I have no idea how either survived, and Ali- Frazier in Manila.

Car racing- no interest, no matter what kind of car they are driving.

Baseball- loved Pete Rose, and the Big Red Machine, and the Cleveland Indians, which is a long story. Also root for anyone the Yankees are playing. Like the Mets, hope this bad run ends soon.

Football- All time favorite- Johnny U, more current all time favorite- Joe Klecko. Am thrilled with the new look Jets, would prefer a new QB other than Geno.

Hockey- rooted for the Flyers as a kid, bought in whole hog when the Devils came to town. Scott Neidemeyer, before him Bernie Parent. Not a Ranger fan. Nothing like a live hockey game.

Basketball- Never really into the pros,, but loved watching Dr J on the Nets in the ABA.

Love SHU hoops, first game was at Yanetelli Center v Army maybe 76? ECAC playoffs. Loved the old double headers at MSG, our gang would go all the time in the 70's.

Golf- love it, play, watch, talk about it. Right now my favorite sport. Favorite player ever- Ernie Els. Favorite moment in golf. Masters 86, first time I was riveted to a tourney.

baseball has become horrific but im a phillies fan so im literally following the worst team ever.
On pace to go 54-108. Should be good for the top pick. Draft next year doesn't have any apparent superstars, but maybe the next Bryce Harper emerges between now and then. They have a few (but not many) reasons for optimism in Franco, Nola and Roman Quinn. Future of the franchise will come down to what RAJ gets (if anything) for Hamels.

* Somehow forgot about JP Crawford. Widely considered a top 5 prospect in all of MLB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not watch soccer unless it involves the USA or Italy in the World Cup----

I don’t watch hockey unless it involves New York or New Jersey teams in the Stanley Cup Playoffs---

I have no interest in women’s sports---

I love NFL football

I have interest in NBA only when Knicks field a competitive team---

I originally disliked Lebron when he dumped Cleveland. Now, I root for him even though I dislike the way he overtly badly treats his coach.

I love Seton Hall basketball---

I was not upset at Sterling Gibbs leaving after witnessing the mugging of Arcidiacono---

I love baseball---

I like traditional boxing---

I hate kick boxing and any of the X games or new sports (Ski boarding, skate boarding, etc)

Frank
I wonder how that would compare to some of the younger and middle age posters profiles like Jcalc and Seton 75???
After reading through the replies I am surprised that
1. Although I have no interest in women's sports, I assumed incorrectly tthat more posters on this board would have more interest.
2. Although I have no interest in car racing, I am surprised to learn no one else does.
3. Also surprised there was very little interest in the NBA.
4. Seems there is average interest in soccer, But I thought there would be more.

After reading through the replies I am surprised that
1. Although I have no interest in women's sports, I assumed incorrectly tthat more posters on this board would have more interest.
2. Although I have no interest in car racing, I am surprised to learn no one else does.
3. Also surprised there was very little interest in the NBA.
4. Seems there is average interest in soccer, But I thought there would be more.
Not too surprised about any of these. #3 maybe a little, but it seems like most people are either NCAA fans or NBA fans. There's such a contrast in the way the two games are played. Most people I know prefer college, but the ones that are big NBA fans can't stand the college game.

Not too surprised about any of these. #3 maybe a little, but it seems like most people are either NCAA fans or NBA fans. There's such a contrast in the way the two games are played. Most people I know prefer college, but the ones that are big NBA fans can't stand the college game.

It's the same thing about football but to a lesser extent. I am a pro football (jets) fan & watch very few college games, but I have friends who only watch the college game and only have passing interest in the NFL.

As to NASCAR it is a regional thing. Down South it is #1, but up here it has very limited interest. I was recently on vacation in St Augustine and Amelia island (on the Florida/Georgia border near Jacksonville) and the lead story on the sports reports was NASCAR every night with baseball buried until the very end.

Tom K

It's the same thing about football but to a lesser extent. I am a pro football (jets) fan & watch very few college games, but I have friends who only watch the college game and only have passing interest in the NFL.

As to NASCAR it is a regional thing. Down South it is #1, but up here it has very limited interest. I was recently on vacation in St Augustine and Amelia island (on the Florida/Georgia border near Jacksonville) and the lead story on the sports reports was NASCAR every night with baseball buried until the very end.

Tom K
Agree on NFL vs. College. I've maybe watched 3 college football games, ever. Obviously if you went to a school with a team that played, I could see where there would be interest.

I try keep an open mind when it comes to sports, but I don't think I'll ever get the attraction to NASCAR. It is literally cars driving around in circles for hours.

Yea i dont really get NASCAR. I think its more of an experience live from what I gather (if you like beer).

However i htink its the #1 most popular in the nation.

I love baseball & especially enjoy watching this years Mets team. But at the same time wondering if they will turn sour at some point just as Seton Hall did last winter.

Tom K

Same here. In fact, I watched that entire debacle last night, even if just to see if the Orioles could score 20.
My dad called me during it. I actually think he was crying with a shotgun next to his rocking chair over the state of the Phillies. Scoring a run has literally become an impossible task.

Baseball in general has become boring. Just let them juice legally already.

NewFavorites?
Baseball Hitter -willie mays
Pitcher - Dwight gooden
NBA Basketball - Julius Erving
Football - Earl Campbell
Boxing - Sugar Ray Leonard
Wrestling - none
Tennis - John McEnroe
Hockey - bob nystrom
Golf -john daly
Soccer - None
John Daly??? lol

I was a a Mets fan until the late 80's and a devout Dodgers and Knicks fan growing up in Brooklyn. As I play the 4th quarter it's come down to :
1 Everything and anything Seton Hall.
2. College football.
3. Golf - love the TV coverage.
4. Pro football but mostly the 4th quarter. No longer have passion for any pro sports - the players move around too much.

Here's my list of all time favorites. Pee Wee Reese, Rocky Marciano, Jerry Walker and Rimas Kaukenas, , Red Holzman Mark Bavaro, Lombardi, Wellington Mara, P.J., Tony Bozzella, Arnold Palmer.
These guys played it straight and told it straight.

Used to be a four-season sports fan: Yankees, Devils-SHU, and Cowboys.

I like the Cowboys better now that they're average again, and most of my Sundays and Monday nights are completely free.

I've shed the Yankees for the Mets; signing A-rod, then knocking down Yankee Stadium did that for me. How do you demolish Yankee Stadium? Still, only go to 2-3 Mets games, maybe watch parts of 5-10 on TV.

I'm still a die-hard Devils fan, and they have given me the most excitement over the years. It's been tough to watch the last 2-3 years, but they have spoiled me.

As an alum, you always feel closest to your alma mater, and I was lucky to be in Terry Dehere's class, so I saw one of the all-time greats, every game, for four years. I am giving up my season tickets for the first time since I was a freshman in 1989. I will go to a couple of games, of course, and probably watch almost all of them on TV, but I feel about as down on the program as I did the weeks following that NIT loss to Texas Tech.

I grew up in NY/NJ, and like most don't care about NASCAR, college football, or soccer. I enjoy the World Cup, casually.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT