ADVERTISEMENT

Portrait of a senior citizen

Come on donnie. Buy those tickets and watch these players. They are gonna be special.

Used to be a four-season sports fan: Yankees, Devils-SHU, and Cowboys.

I like the Cowboys better now that they're average again, and most of my Sundays and Monday nights are completely free.

I've shed the Yankees for the Mets; signing A-rod, then knocking down Yankee Stadium did that for me. How do you demolish Yankee Stadium? Still, only go to 2-3 Mets games, maybe watch parts of 5-10 on TV.

I'm still a die-hard Devils fan, and they have given me the most excitement over the years. It's been tough to watch the last 2-3 years, but they have spoiled me.

As an alum, you always feel closest to your alma mater, and I was lucky to be in Terry Dehere's class, so I saw one of the all-time greats, every game, for four years. I am giving up my season tickets for the first time since I was a freshman in 1989. I will go to a couple of games, of course, and probably watch almost all of them on TV, but I feel about as down on the program as I did the weeks following that NIT loss to Texas Tech.

I grew up in NY/NJ, and like most don't care about NASCAR, college football, or soccer. I enjoy the World Cup, casually.
Yankees to Mets? Now I don't feel so bad about going from NYY to the Phils. :)

It's weird how being a fan of an underdog, or a fan of a team that doesn't win, can cause one to be more passionate. (SHU-effect?). I watched every single Yankee game during the mid 80s and early 90s when they were awful. I still remember Mel Hall's HR on Memorial Day and the glimmer of hope it provided. Hope Springs Eternal. I have Mattingly's Tops and Donruss Rookie cards in a frame on the wall in my basement along with my other most prized cards (Billy Ripken's F%$# Face Card), and still have the Mattingly "Hit Man" poster somewhere. But like you, I have no love for the Empire anymore.

I watch no college fb, just like I would not support a business that was trying to bankrupt me. Do something else on Saturday, you won't miss it. The hell with THEM.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
I'm sorry 75, but I love college football. I always liked college football better than college BB. I like it better than pro football. I did, however, enjoy college FB more before it became super corrupted by boosters, corporate sponsors and television revenues. I certainly understand your angst, however, over the horrendous effect college FB is having on non-power conference BB only schools. I don't like it any less than you do. However, whether I watch or don't watch college football games will not have any effect on what may evolve down the road. I don't have the time or the energy to waste on matters in which I have no real control.

Yankees to Mets? Now I don't feel so bad about going from NYY to the Phils. :)

It's weird how being a fan of an underdog, or a fan of a team that doesn't win, can cause one to be more passionate. (SHU-effect?). I watched every single Yankee game during the mid 80s and early 90s when they were awful. I still remember Mel Hall's HR on Memorial Day and the glimmer of hope it provided. Hope Springs Eternal. I have Mattingly's Tops and Donruss Rookie cards in a frame on the wall in my basement along with my other most prized cards (Billy Ripken's F%$# Face Card), and still have the Mattingly "Hit Man" poster somewhere. But like you, I have no love for the Empire anymore.
Theres no way you find passion out of the Phillies now (or last year). But i guess that team is more of a dead dog than an underdog/.

I'll give mine:

Position player baseball: Mantle
Pitcher - Whitey Ford
Basketball- Holloway
NBA Basketball- Earl "the Pearl" Monroe (funny mentioned him to wife last night) 2nd Wilt
Football - Roger Stauback, class act
Boxing - Sugar Ray Robinson
Wrestling - Buddy Rogers
Tennis - Johnny Mac
Golf - Jack Nicholas, current crop not so much
Hockey - Eddie Giocomin
Soccer - What ever is on another channel
Car racing: Don Garlits, Jeff Gordon (I live in South now)
Grew up in Maplewood. Rooted for 4 teams and still do: GIants, Yanks, Rangers, Knicks, abhor the 4 new commer NY teams. Since moving away, always have followed the local team plus these: 49ers, Cowboys, Jags but NEVER the Redskins, in FB; NCAAB: St Mary's of Cal; baseball: Rangers and Oakland.

Guess I am living in my 70yo past too much perhaps.

I use to race home from grade school to watch the Yankees on WPIX, and root for the Mick. After every Yankee at bat or inning pitched, I'd figure out the players' average or era. This was long before hand-held calculators. My 'math' homework. Back then the storylines were about what happened between the foul-lines, not contract disputes, free agency and PEDs. My interest has declined quite abit.

Big NFL Giants fan. While not my favorite players, Jim Brown and Lawrence Taylor were not only dominating, they changed the game .
Knicks were my team although my favorite players were West & Baylor. Loved to watch the Russell Celtic teams as well as the Reed, Frazier Bradley et. al. because it was team ball. Now, it seems like clear-outs and they take more steps then contestants on Dancing With the Stars. Watch very little NBA action.
Hockey, will watch some portion of Ranger or Devils playoff action, but otherwise no interest.

Boxing, always wondered about the 'fix'. Seemed focused on the rematch and more money. Ali & Patterson were the best I remember

Soccer, I played goalie because my high school didn't have football, but I don't watch it at all.

Golf, Palmer, Nicklaus, Trevino, Watson were fun to watch, but I watch golf infrequently now.

Tennis was fun to play, but I don't particularly enjoy it on tv.

College basketball, March madness is the best. While recruiting and academics may be a bit sleazy, the raw emotion of the players and fans is fantastic.

College football I'll watch some games on tv, but I'm not the fan of the game that I used to be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT