ADVERTISEMENT

Ratings are in and they were phenomenal

I wonder how many of the 1.4 million people were St John’s fans

With the men and women in the final four and Seton Hall winning the NIT in a great championship game that drew large viewership numbers it hopefully gives our Commissioner some solid talking points in our negotiations with Fox on our next contract.

With the men and women in the final four and Seton Hall winning the NIT in a great championship game that drew large viewership numbers it hopefully gives our Commissioner some solid talking points in our negotiations with Fox on our next contract.
Speaking of which was OUR commissioner at the game?

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
almost like it's something to justify snubbing teams in the future...

Very meaningful tournament for Seton Hall. They made the best of tough spot and earned a lot of great, much-needed publicity.

Also hoping the good feels and potential to achieve even higher helps bring back our top players.
and perhaps equally as important they earned respect as a team that competes till the whistle blows as the final few minutes of the championship game demonstrated. SH deciding to go to the NIT has proven to be the right move and as noted was a significant plus for the program .

If Val was there, she was in disguise. Met Rutgers’ favorite former coach, Craig Littlepaige in the airport. Apparently on the NIT committee. He was even worse than Eddie Jordan and Fred Hill.

Reactions: CL82
almost like it's something to justify snubbing teams in the future...
There will always be snubs. Hopefully next year we do better in the non-con and there aren’t 5 bid stealers. Then maybe we’ll avoid the cut like decision and politics.

I’m hoping this is a springboard like the end of 2018-19 was into 2019-20 but that would require continuity of top players which is unlikely. 🤷‍♂️ Tell me we’re getting Richmond and/or Davis back to add to Coleman, Addae-Wusu, Felton, and some quality impact transfers for improved depth and we have something.

Reactions: Bud Boomer
A couple things came together to give this NIT some juice.

First, the snubs. ISU was getting attention as the most deserving mid major well before selection Sunday and when they didn’t get in it became an instant story in the media.

Second, the perception around SHU was that they should have been the 4th team from the BE. The buffoonish committee chair added to the story with confused responses as to why SHU was left out even with a 15 point win over UCONN.

Third, the whole story around how the #2 rated conference only got three teams in.

Fourth, the stand alone, only college hoops game on TV on a Thursday night, almost like an appetizer for the big weekend ahead.

So there was awareness and some curiosity around ISU and SHU and the timing of the actual game could not have been more perfect. It was a great opportunity for SHU and they took advantage of it. Lemonade out of lemons indeed.

A couple things came together to give this NIT some juice.

First, the snubs. ISU was getting attention as the most deserving mid major well before selection Sunday and when they didn’t get in it became an instant story in the media.

Second, the perception around SHU was that they should have been the 4th team from the BE. The buffoonish committee chair added to the story with confused responses as to why SHU was left out even with a 15 point win over UCONN.

Third, the whole story around how the #2 rated conference only got three teams in.

Fourth, the stand alone, only college hoops game on TV on a Thursday night, almost like an appetizer for the big weekend ahead.

So there was awareness and some curiosity around ISU and SHU and the timing of the actual game could not have been more perfect. It was a great opportunity for SHU and they took advantage of it. Lemonade out of lemons indeed.
His answer about the Connecticut win was absurd and reflective of the entire process. We also led Connecticut by 7 or so when Clingan was hurt in the second half, not to mentioned lost 2 games when Richmond was out. You don’t go down these rabbit holes.

And now coincidentally Seton Hall and Connecticut can sweep for the Big East!

Being the only college game on that night helped for the gambling piece too. I know a few guys who followed it solely because it gave them something to bet on that evening.

Haha. Definitely a few that post here and Pitino among the 1.4 million. If I were a SJU fan I would’ve declined an opportunity to lose to Seton Hall for a 3rd time too, but thanks for your support and bump in tv viewership.
Unfortunate timing their beat down of us happened in the BE tourney and not that UBS game. I’m sure the optics didn’t help our bubble case.

Reactions: chickenbox
Unfortunate timing their beat down of us happened in the BE tourney and not that UBS game. I’m sure the optics didn’t help our bubble case.

Agree 100%. I always laugh when I hear tournament games don't matter. The reality is they can't really help you unless you win the tournament but they can definitely hurt you. Face it, I bet there were a number of committee members that hadn't seen us play all year up until that St. Johns game. With the P5 schools getting more & more powerful, the bubble is a dangerous place to be for non P5 schools.

On a side note, St Johns peaked too late but I think they might have done some serious damage in the NCAA Tournament. They were neck & neck with UCONN in the BE semis, something that hasn't really happened since that Creighton beat down.

Agree 100%. I always laugh when I hear tournament games don't matter. The reality is they can't really help you unless you win the tournament but they can definitely hurt you. Face it, I bet there were a number of committee members that hadn't seen us play all year up until that St. Johns game. With the P5 schools getting more & more powerful, the bubble is a dangerous place to be for non P5 schools.

On a side note, St Johns peaked too late but I think they might have done some serious damage in the NCAA Tournament. They were neck & neck with UCONN in the BE semis, something that hasn't really happened since that Creighton beat down.
Agree on both points.

I think because they were also a bubble team - although it seems from the Committee's eyes not as close to dancing as many here thought -- the timing wasn't ideal.

Pitino is a one-game tournament scenario is always dangerous, and for whatever reason they were playing their best at the end of the season. Reading the Braziller stuff, I think the injuries to Luis, Dingle and Ledlum hurt them coming together, and you can tell Pitino wasn't enamored with the talent level well before his infamous rant. That's the risk when you bring in an entirely new team of portal kids and freshman. Look at Georgetown this year? I never thought they'd be as abysmal as they were.

How much is that 1.4 million do we think Iowa State brought? I have to think you guys did a lot of the heavy lifting there.

That is a nice piece of data to add to our case as we go into our negotiation with Fox.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
How much is that 1.4 million do we think Iowa State brought? I have to think you guys did a lot of the heavy lifting there.

That is a nice piece of data to add to our case as we go into our negotiation with Fox.
I doubt Iowa State brought anything to the table.

I do think the basketball-mad fans of the state of Indiana as a whole and Indiana State in particular may have brought a good chunk of the audience.

I'm sure we pulled our share of the weight as well.

It's a pretty impressive number but it's also one data point. The folks at FOX are probably more concerned with the ratings when they're broadcasting our games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT