ADVERTISEMENT

Rothstein

The one thing that Sha would do is give us a guy that wouldn't leave us. Pitino would always be in Kevin's ear to move along. That is great if Sha wins. If he sucks......it will really suck to fire him.
And that's the problem with an all-time great alumnus but a failed head coach. St John's might give us a clue as to how to handle it someday

And their dilemma is like Sha on steroids with HGH mixed in when it comes to icon status. The saving grace is that he's making the school money and that always helps.

And that's the problem with an all-time great alumnus but a failed head coach. St John's might give us a clue as to how to handle it someday

Reactions: deheremike
I think he stays, which means nothing, really. Just thinking his NY roots might be the deciding factor, as well as not wanting to uproot a family for, as jcpetri pointed out, a mere $1 million and losing his current job security. His Dad is a Brooklyn guy, moved to LI, where KW grew up. I would think it is more of a quality of life issue for his family than a money issue. We shall see.

The only thing other than money that can entice Willard to stay has to be a longevity contract with SHU for like 7 or 8 years. Wont make the same money but knowing where you will be for the next decade is nice.

This is exactly why I did not jump to big time consultant gigs when they came up during the last 15 years. Much bigger money, no stability at all. I stayed for less and got huge stability I wanted for me and my family. Did it mean some dirt sandwich stretches? Yes. But I had the long long term consistency I really always wanted.

It takes all types. As long as he feels truly respected by the university for his work and he wants family stability and the chance to do it Jay’s way or Mark’s way, then we should give him as much as we can and a pile of years with bonus growth to boot.

Reactions: ShuVol
Patrick Beilein would be a TERRIFIC hire. Adrian Griffin would be good as well, especially as it guarantees you a top 5 nationally ranked player coming along.

Kevin would be dumb to go now, as he is set to have a tremendous year to get an even better option next year, but his heart isn't at Seton Hall, just look at the Holy Cross and USF stuff. That stuff never comes up if he was committed. Shame as we saved him from getting gutted after the Marquette game. You would think that would make him committed for life, but se la vie.

What is the “Holy Cross and USF” stuff? Not sure I’m aware.

It is my recollection that when Willard was struggling and there appeared to be a possibility he would be fired, he was rumored to be looking at the Holy Cross and USF jobs to "stay ahead of the posse"
And who among us would not want to stay ahead of the process if he feared losing his job. It’s amazing, we may be losing the best coach we’ve had in 30 years and it appears that a few posters who have been against Willard for years are coming out with the Holy Cross stuff from five years ago.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
And who among us would not want to stay ahead of the process if he feared losing his job. It’s amazing, we may be losing the best coach we’ve had in 30 years and it appears that a few posters who have been against Willard for years are coming out with the Holy Cross stuff from five years ago.
Again goes to show what the school and admin thought of the program since 1994

He could go to VT for the same money he's making at SHU, and come out ahead given the tax situation in the two states. The ACC is great basketball conference and he knows Boheim, K and Williams aren't going to be at their respective schools forever. VT is a P5 school with the monies that go along with it and the P5 bias in the NCAA. A big thing for KW is a new state of the art practice facility. SHU is talking about it,VT has it. If KW stays and has a top 20 team next year it will be what most 'experts' predicted and not thought of as highly as what he did this season.To paraphrase an old Branch Rickey saying "it's better to leave a year too early than to wait a year to late" That said, I think he stays because of his loyalty to his players and Lyons

Agreed. I've posted repeatedly that he should consider what he thinks is the best job opportunity for him and his family. We'd all do the same. Anyone who expects anything less is kidding themselves. I'm sure he feels loyalty to certain players and people associated with the program, but if he chooses not to go it's because Va Tech isn't a better career opportunity in his mind right now, not for loyalty or sentimental reasons.

Reactions: BucBloc and SHUMA04
Agreed. I've posted repeatedly that he should consider what he thinks is the best job opportunity for him and his family. We'd all do the same. Anyone who expects anything less is kidding themselves. I'm sure he feels loyalty to certain players and people associated with the program, but if he chooses not to go it's because Va Tech isn't a better career opportunity in his mind right now, not for loyalty or sentimental reasons.

Absolutely. People should respect whatever decision he makes for himself and his family.

If he chooses to leave,no hard feelings at all . I will probably even root for Virginia Tech .

It's then up to SHU and its brain trust to make sure the train stays on the track.

If Kevin is smart, he leaves, gets the 6 or 7 year deal and retires to the TV broadcast booth when he is done with that contract. He is good on TV, and will keep our grand TV commentator coach tradition alive.

The alternative and he knows it......he only has 3 years as Carino pointed out.......he pulls one of his January swoons next year with this loaded team.......and he could be looking at joining the TV booth a little earlier.

Reactions: simone84
If he does leave, take a look at what Casey Alexander has done at Stetson and Lipscomb. They're one win away from an NIT title. Wouldn't mind giving him a look, worst case scenario. Hope KW stays!!!

He could go to VT for the same money he's making at SHU, and come out ahead given the tax situation in the two states. The ACC is great basketball conference and he knows Boheim, K and Williams aren't going to be at their respective schools forever. VT is a P5 school with the monies that go along with it and the P5 bias in the NCAA. A big thing for KW is a new state of the art practice facility. SHU is talking about it,VT has it. If KW stays and has a top 20 team next year it will be what most 'experts' predicted and not thought of as highly as what he did this season.To paraphrase an old Branch Rickey saying "it's better to leave a year too early than to wait a year to late" That said, I think he stays because of his loyalty to his players and Lyons

Now wouldn't it be a pisser if New Jersey's left wing voters and politicians cost poor little Seton Hall the best coach it's had in twenty years. That'll learn youse guys.

Absolutely. Don't blame him.

But these are different days. Both sides, Willard and the Admin/program have learned a lot since then.

If VT offers $3 million and a 7-10 yr contract that would be hard to pass up because of the length of the contract.

If VT offers $3 million and a 7-10 yr contract that would be hard to pass up because of the length of the contract.
A 7+ year contract??

If that’s their offer he’d be crazy not to accept it. He isn’t Calipari...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT