ADVERTISEMENT

Sandro v Rhoden Sunday

So great for both these guys. Unfortunately, with the NIL era, these guys never would have been at SHU for 4 years. It is going to be very interesting who schools claim as "Players in the Pros".

Reactions: TommyAlly
Sandro Mamukelashvili is making a strong case for a new contract, McDonald notes in the same piece. The backup big man wasn’t used much early in the season, but he has taken advantage of opportunities presented by injuries and is averaging 10.4 points and 10.1 rebounds over the past seven games, including a season-high 21 points on Friday. Mamukelashvili signed a one-year, minimum-salary deal after becoming a free agent last summer and is eligible for restricted free agency this offseason. “I don’t know what’s going to happen in the future, but I love being here,” he said. “I love being around the guys, connecting with them, learning, growing. I’m looking forward to the future and if it’s here, I’ll be very happy.”

Wembanyama's efforts were imperative. The comeback does not happen without his superhero abilities but like any good superhero, he needed backup. That assistance came in the form of a 6'10 forward from the country of Georgia.

Mamukelashvili may earn a long-term spot on the Spurs
Mamukelashvili, affectionately referred to as Mamu, is earning his stripes. The unfortunate injuries to several key players has opened up the door for what a lot of fans hoped for when the Spurs re-signed Mamu last summer. He finished the game with 21 points and 12 rebounds, contributing more than the stat sheet could show.

His energy was seeping all over the court, playing like he was trying to make a point and he may have been. With the season running out, there is a limited amount of time to make an impact but the 24-year-old forward has done just that. He is a connector, just like Boris Diaw for the Spurs 2014 championship team. He has great energy, he's willing to compete physically, and he understands cutting and passing angles.

San Antonio has another gem under their nose. They should make keeping him and playing him more of a priority. His chemistry with Wembanyama was obvious from their first shared minutes on the floor. Continued time together for two supremely intelligent players will only serve to benefit the Spurs.

San Antonio has another gem under their nose. They should make keeping him and playing him more of a priority. His chemistry with Wembanyama was obvious from their first shared minutes on the floor. Continued time together for two supremely intelligent players will only serve to benefit the Spurs.

Both are the result of 4 years of college BB at 1 school. Willard from day 1 gave both of them minutes at times when they prob should have not been on the court as freshman and allowed to make mistakes and learn from them. By senior year both had the trust of the coach to basically run the offense through them. If they had transfered out based on $ it would not have worked out as well for them.

Reactions: mbraue
Great showcase for Rhoden. He will hopefully be able to get himself into another organization.

The pistons season was shot and they were still giving Evan Fournier nearly 20mpg over Rhoden. Jared can play in the NBA. Just needs a better situation.

So hypothetical question.
If Sandro and Rhoden played today and jumped from team to team chasing the immediate buck would they be in a better position with their pro career at this point? Would they be better off at this point?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT