ADVERTISEMENT

September recruiting tweets

How? The coach is not liked by some players and many fans.
Marquette is a big-time program with vast resources. They just opened up a brand new arena and they are routinely among the top 20 in attendance year after year with 15,000 fans per BE game. Other than Nova, they recruit better than anyone in the BE with top 100 recruits every year including many top 75 and better.

This year they have 2 top 80 recruits and are on the short lists of several other top players. RJ Davis has them in his final 4.

Wojo may not have accomplished a great deal as the HC and seems to be a prick, but there is no denying his recruiting success.

This is why so many of us are so interested in the plans for our training and practice facility. We are extremely far behind our BE peers in this category and it means a great deal in recruiting. It intrigues me to see what Willard and company can do with competitive facilities.

Marquette is a big-time program with vast resources. They just opened up a brand new arena and they are routinely among the top 20 in attendance year after year with 15,000 fans per BE game. Other than Nova, they recruit better than anyone in the BE with top 100 recruits every year including many top 75 and better.

This year they have 2 top 80 recruits and are on the short lists of several other top players. RJ Davis has them in his final 4.

Wojo may not have accomplished a great deal as the HC and seems to be a prick, but there is no denying his recruiting success.

This is why so many of us are so interested in the plans for our training and practice facility. We are extremely far behind our BE peers in this category and it means a great deal in recruiting. It intrigues me to see what Willard and company can do with competitive facilities.

Agree with you 100%; though I would say that over the past few years, Xavier may equal Marquette in successfully recruiting Top-100 players.

Reactions: deheremike
If you look at the numbers that are reported under the Equity in Athletics Act you get a better picture of who is spending what on basketball in the BE. Just a couple of examples :

Nova - $14,800,000
GT. - $12, 850,000
Marq. - $12,100,000
SH - $6,300,000

Reactions: thehall07
If you look at the numbers that are reported under the Equity in Athletics Act you get a better picture of who is spending what on basketball in the BE. Just a couple of examples :

Nova - $14,800,000
GT. - $12, 850,000
Marq. - $12,100,000
SH - $6,300,000
Guess we're getting the best bang for our buck. That said, we are not spending enough bucks.

Lampkin is probably staying down south but I wonder if he will take one official to the Hall before he makes a decisio. He either visited or has plans to visit all his final schools except us I think. TCU, Arkansas and T AM ones to beat.

Guess we're getting the best bang for our buck. That said, we are not spending enough bucks.

That was my thought as well Dan . Hopefully with a new president, Lyons in an executive position with the ability to have a more significant voice in the SH administration hopefully things will improve but until SH can generate a dramatic increase in fundraising , infrastructure improvements for our athletic programs will be marginal and not representative of the major changes we need.

Last edited:
Jeremy Pope
@CoachJPope
HEAD COACH ATHLETE INSTITUTE RED/ASSISTANT COACH ORANGEVILLE PREP
1f1e8-1f1e6.png
|
NIKE BOUNCE EYBL 17E
1f1e8-1f1e6.png
|
Former UW Grad Assistant
1f3c0.png
1f43a.png

Reactions: ArtieLange9

Nova - $14,800,000
GT. - $12, 850,000
Marq. - $12,100,000
SH - $6,300,000
Season ticket holders donate to Pirate Blue in order to get seats. My donation was $440 per seat, in addition to the ticket price. I'm guessing Pirate Blue receives between $2,000,000 and $3,000,000 annually just from ticket donations. What is that money spent on?

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Season ticket holders donate to Pirate Blue in order to get seats. My donation was $440 per seat, in addition to the ticket price. I'm guessing Pirate Blue receives between $2,000,000 and $3,000,000 annually just from ticket donations. What is that money spent on?

I’ve never seen the athletic dept’s books of what is spent but common sense would suggest you would have to place the following as the primary expense categories.
1. Staff salaries and that would include not only the coaches but the Director of Basketball operations, the trainers and any other support or administrative positions. I would also think that a percentage of the costs of the Academic Support staff would be included as well .
2. Travel , lodging , meals not only for road games but sending coaches all over the country to recruit and to scout future opponents.
3. Rent and related expenses of playing at the Rock.

Not to sound flippant but $3,000,000 doesn’t go as far as it once did when you look at what head coaches and their assistants get paid. The cost of travel, especially by charter is very expensive , add in hotels , food the bus from the airport to the hotel, then to the arena and it all adds up quickly.

Nova - $14,800,000
GT. - $12, 850,000
Marq. - $12,100,000
SH - $6,300,000
The thing I'm curious about when looking at budgets like this is are we comparing apples to apples? Meaning is school A including the identical expenses as school B? Also, is Pru Center rent included in our figures? If so, the true delta between Seton Hall and Nova is even greater because Nova plays for free on campus whereas we pay $50K(?) a game to play at The Rock.

The thing I'm curious about when looking at budgets like this is are we comparing apples to apples? Meaning is school A including the identical expenses as school B? Also, is Pru Center rent included in our figures? If so, the true delta between Seton Hall and Nova is even greater because Nova plays for free on campus whereas we pay $50K(?) a game to play at The Rock.

While your point is well taken, part of your argument hinges on what year these numbers are for. As you know, Villanova plays several games a year at Wells Fargo and a couple of years ago played their entire schedule there as the Pavillion was being renovated.

Also, Georgetown and Marquette are in similar situations to us as they play all their home games at off-campus sites and according to these numbers are spending twice what we are.

Of course the bottom line (no pun intended) is that you can't spend what you don't have.

While your point is well taken, part of your argument hinges on what year these numbers are for. As you know, Villanova plays several games a year at Wells Fargo and a couple of years ago played their entire schedule there as the Pavillion was being renovated.

Also, Georgetown and Marquette are in similar situations to us as they play all their home games at off-campus sites and according to these numbers are spending twice what we are.

Of course the bottom line (no pun intended) is that you can't spend what you don't have.
My question is more so in general when comparing basketball budgets amongst conference members. Several times a year budgets get posted and I have always wondered the above questions (is this apples to apples comparison? Does this include rent for teams that play off campus?).

In the past I’ve seen budgets that indicate seton hall spends more than Butler but as you know butler plays for free at Hinkle. So is our budget inflated by ~$750K-$1M due to rent costs? You know what I mean...

Most every high major coach has players they churn through the program and fans that are critical of them. The Hauser stuff got lots of attention because it was unique, but whether they disliked Wojo, Howard or some combination no one truly knows. And they ended up going to elite schools so perhaps there was the true driving source.

I’m not Wojo fan by any stretch, but they’ve generally been pretty good under him. Marquette as a program has been a NCAA fixture for the past 20 years. Sure Wojo hasn’t won a BE title but BE titles matter to the fans, not prospective recruits, who likely care more that Dwayne Wade went to the school, the facilities, Wojo’s Duke pedigree and that he’s been some guys in the league. As another poster stated they’ve recruited better than most everyone in the new league. Shouldn’t be a surprise they are continuing to land kids.

How? The coach is not liked by some players and many fans.

I’ve never seen the athletic dept’s books of what is spent but common sense would suggest you would have to place the following as the primary expense categories.
1. Staff salaries and that would include not only the coaches but the Director of Basketball operations, the trainers and any other support or administrative positions. I would also think that a percentage of the costs of the Academic Support staff would be included as well .
2. Travel , lodging , meals not only for road games but sending coaches all over the country to recruit and to scout future opponents.
3. Rent and related expenses of playing at the Rock.

Not to sound flippant but $3,000,000 doesn’t go as far as it once did when you look at what head coaches and their assistants get paid. The cost of travel, especially by charter is very expensive , add in hotels , food the bus from the airport to the hotel, then to the arena and it all adds up quickly.
I was under the impression that the Pirate Blue Athletic Fund was a non-profit separate entity, and not part of the athletic department. I don't think Pirate Blue funds are part of the actual athletic budget and was asking what they do with the money raised. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT