ADVERTISEMENT

Sha imbues confidence and toughness

SHUSA

All World
Jan 10, 2013
and the team takes after him. after that 3pt foul he pulled the team in and said they are WINNING this game, regardless of what the refs do. got them in a group dap and went out and won the game. this doesnt happen in the past. we let it beat us.

that 3pt foul for posh basically sealed the victory for shu. think about that. look at the plays following it. out toughed a team that was toughing you for a bunch of the game.

road game, turnovers, butler draining 3s, refs massive hose job. it doesnt matter. our guys stuck with it. richmond at the end was just utter domination at the basket and i think it broke butler. they stopped playing with time left.
Actually turnovers were a key. For this team overcoming 10 turnovers is nothing. Having to overcome 15+ would've been too much. I know we won the previous 2 games but 39 turnovers is not playing good basketball, we just played better than our opponents. At the end of the day that's all that matters right? Today we played much better and in my opinion, our best game of the entire season and we needed it today.

Reactions: Turiddu
Actually turnovers were a key. For this team overcoming 10 turnovers is nothing. Having to overcome 15+ would've been too much. I know we won the previous 2 games but 39 turnovers is not playing good basketball, we just played better than our opponents. At the end of the day that's all that matters right? Today we played much better and in my opinion, our best game of the entire season and we needed it today.
1 in the first half 9 in the second. i was more so saying we overcame their 3s, us going cold from 3, started turning the ball over, refs went nuclear, didnt score for the first 10 minutes basically and still came out with the win on the road.

but yes your overall point is right. i bet the message all week was to limit turnovers. play d like ours and take care of the ball... huge

Tuesday night shaping up to be massive. Two teams playing great. SJU in a good battle at Creighton now. Pitino vs. Sha. There is juice in metro area college hoops.
this game is spicy hot. was rick still in the big east when sha played?

1 in the first half 9 in the second. i was more so saying we overcame their 3s, us going cold from 3, started turning the ball over, refs went nuclear, didnt score for the first 10 minutes basically and still came out with the win on the road.

but yes your overall point is right. i bet the message all week was to limit turnovers. play d like ours and take care of the ball... huge
They gotta change that rule with the shot clock. If it takes them 5 seconds to check the if the shot clock should be reset it's not the team with the balls fault. Same scenario happened in our favor vs UConn. Regardless that the foul was called on Bediako, why did leave his feet. He's got a foot on Posh to begin with.

Reactions: PirateFan94
They gotta change that rule with the shot clock. If it takes them 5 seconds to check the if the shot clock should be reset it's not the team with the balls fault. Same scenario happened in our favor vs UConn. Regardless that the foul was called on Bediako, why did leave his feet. He's got a foot on Posh to begin with.
i think he was off balance. the clock thing is weird. either way a team will get jobbed as it stands today

Sha's team has taken on his personality. TOUGH team. Both games this week could've gone either way in the closing minutes. On the road. After big wins.

Great job.
Exactly. We're not exactly kicking asses and taking names, but we're executing down the stretch. Every one of the last four games has been a 2 point lead with less than a minute to go. Players making plays. Dawes, Richmond, and Davis. Davis getting isolated on D and made the big stop down the stretch.

Exactly. We're not exactly kicking asses and taking names, but we're executing down the stretch. Players making plays. Dawes, Richmond, and Davis. Davis getting isolated on D and made the big stop down the stretch.
What's been impressive to me is that the team has developed poise. That comes from alignment as a group. If you watch how we played earlier in the season it was all over the place a lot on both sides of the court.

The bench is also steadily coming along and providing help, which a few weeks ago was not the case against power conference teams.

Holloway is doing a great coaching job. You're seeing buy-in and consistency. Teams develop and this one started clicking in, even with some roster limitations that do keep our ceiling a bit low - for now. If that bench can continue to come along, that could change too.

Still so much work to do this season. I believe we can get it done. More important if this continues, I truly believe Sha can now land some major talent to SHU. You will now have the fanbase and alumni dialed in. Hopefully, they'll support the NIL opportunities and The Pirate Blue. With the practice facility on the way this could now become a landing spot in one of the Premier Basketball Conferences. DePaul has to upgrade, but The BigEast is an exciting conference. Sha is Selling SHU and Sha too.

What's been impressive to me is that the team has developed poise. That comes from alignment as a group. If you watch how we played earlier in the season it was all over the place a lot on both sides of the court.

The bench is also steadily coming along and providing help, which a few weeks ago was not the case against power conference teams.

Holloway is doing a great coaching job. You're seeing buy-in and consistency. Teams develop and this one started clicking in, even with some roster limitations that do keep our ceiling a bit low - for now. If that bench can continue to come along, that could change too.
great coaches have their team poised under pressure. ive never seen this as a fan of seton hall.

Still so much work to do this season. I believe we can get it done. More important if this continues, I truly believe Sha can now land some major talent to SHU. You will now have the fanbase and alumni dialed in. Hopefully, they'll support the NIL opportunities and The Pirate Blue. With the practice facility on the way this could now become a landing spot in one of the Premier Basketball Conferences. DePaul has to upgrade, but The BigEast is an exciting conference. Sha is Selling SHU and Sha too.
eh, were on the bottom of the NIL totem pole, id prefer to keep the bottom feeders like Depaul where they are. otherwise someone else has to replace them

The amount of tough shots Dawes and Richmond made in the final 2-3 minutes was really impressive: Richmond's lefty layup after the ball was on the ground, Dawes' runner at the shot clock in the lane, Richmond's physical drive in the final minute.

Reactions: mbraue
“Toughness” or we has almost zero to do with any of this and is just for sports talk radio crap

We are winning because they have remained poised in end of game situations and we are playing much better (for us) offensive basketball..our better players are hitting shots (AD, KR) when we were losing they weren’t..plain and simple.. Sha and them deserve massive credit..awesome turn around in play..toughness means nothing

Also, word to wise just ignore OP, he is no supporter of SHU. Dogs the school any chance he can, only points out positives to that take veiled swipes at Willard or the school.

He claimed her sha wouldn’t even be our coach because Sha messed it up and Iowa was going to hire him

He said numerous times we won’t/can’t compete in division 1 anymore

Useless

We are winning because they have remained poised in end of game situations and we are playing much better (for us) offensive basketball..our better players are hitting shots (AD, KR) when we were losing they weren’t..plain and simple.. Sha and them deserve massive credit..awesome turn around in play..toughness means nothing
I think it has more to do with execution than poise. Dawes looked poised, but he didn't execute at the FT line. Just because you're poised doesn't mean execution will follow. We're flat making winning plays. Not being poised can lose the game, but being poised doesn't mean you're going to execute. I thought Butler was poised down the stretch as well, just at some point one team was going to make a winning play over the other. We made one more shot than they did, which allowed us to tack on a few free throws at the end.

I think it has more to do with execution than poise. Dawes looked poised, but he didn't execute at the FT line. Just because you're poised doesn't mean execution will follow. We're flat making winning plays. Not being poised can lose the game, but being poised doesn't mean you're going to execute. I thought Butler was poised down the stretch as well. We made one more shot than they did, which allowed us to tack on a few free throws at the end.
Agree. Two very well coached teams today.

“Toughness” or we has almost zero to do with any of this and is just for sports talk radio crap

Also, word to wise just ignore OP, he is no supporter of SHU. Dogs the school any chance he can, only points out positives to that take veiled swipes at Willard or the school.

He claimed her sha wouldn’t even be our coach because Sha messed it up and Iowa was going to hire him

He said numerous times we won’t/can’t compete in division 1 anymore

Useless
Don't tell Sha that. He preaches mental and physical toughness. This team is making clutch plays when it matters. The game is not speeding up on them anymore, which is where it looks poised.

And their physicality is a big deal too throughout the game, which it needs to be because we're not a good shooting team. Why we're 8th in the country in OR% and have guard/wing players like Richmond/Addae-Wusu getting crazy rebound numbers with an undersized 4 playing at a high level.

Don't tell Sha that. He preaches mental and physical toughness. This team is making clutch plays when it matters. The game is not speeding up on them anymore. And their physicality is a big deal too throughout the game, which it needs to be because we're not a good shooting team. Why we're 8th in the country in OR%.
Coach speak..I’m sure he preached that when we lost to Rutgers and blown out by Baylor

You need to score points and have your best players play well to win games

Now, if you want to call a team not quitting or allowing snowball or things to compound themselves in the game as toughness than sure I agree with you and we are great at that but

You take toughness…I’ll take this KR finishing at the rim and this Dawes playing within himself and I’ll win more games

The refs were pretty bad on both sides today.
So impressive to be able to play through what Refs did to this Game --The "Posh'' call , I guess'?? was the most curious but rarely can at least 3 other Calls vie for Worse of the Worse . When Hinkle Fans booing calls in their favor, it makes for some interesting review. Refs were trying to ruin a fun Game. So happy with this win --

Reactions: Bluebeard
I think it has more to do with execution than poise. Dawes looked poised, but he didn't execute at the FT line. Just because you're poised doesn't mean execution will follow. We're flat making winning plays. Not being poised can lose the game, but being poised doesn't mean you're going to execute. I thought Butler was poised down the stretch as well, just at some point one team was going to make a winning play over the other. We made one more shot than they did, which allowed us to tack on a few free throws at the end.
It’s was funny after Dawes missed that FT at the end of you read Sha’s lips. He said “Hey 2, you ok?” His face was priceless. Last game after a turnover by Wasu, he emphatically waved him off the court saying get out. Get out. He constantly challenged the guys to give their best.

We continue to extend the lead when we go to our bench at end of the first half. With the BE POY on the bench!

Tuesday night shaping up to be massive. Two teams playing great. SJU in a good battle at Creighton now. Pitino vs. Sha. There is juice in metro area college hoops.
The areas top teams, in what is the true rivalry game, should be a sellout crowd and students should be back! Should be a great atmosphere!

Reactions: U-Hall
So impressive to be able to play through what Refs did to this Game --The "Posh'' call , I guess'?? was the most curious but rarely can at least 3 other Calls vie for Worse of the Worse . When Hinkle Fans booing calls in their favor, it makes for some interesting review. Refs were trying to ruin a fun Game. So happy with this win --
It's a bad call but it's always made. Offensive players often initiate contact and drive or jump into defenders. Richmond does it a ton -- like on the no-call the next time down after the Posh play.

If Hinkle fans were booing, it was because the refs (correctly) went to video to determine if the foul had come before the shot clock expired.

The refs were not perfect but I thought they mostly got key plays correct.

What off set the 9 TOs in the 2nd half was the 13 blocks. They all weren’t in the 2nd half but they erased a lot of BU plays at the rim.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT