ADVERTISEMENT

SHU at DePaul Game Thread

Powell has to learn that when he is not shooting well he has to pass the ball!!!

Bad bad shot by Mamu, don’t need a three and clear lane to the basket. Everything was going our way, two bad shots cost us this, Powell trying to draw the foul and Mamu at the end.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
It was very bad execution by the Hall the final 2 possesions. Powell rushed and tried to draw a foul and Mamu settled for a 3 when there was time

Reactions: SHUMA04
Just got back and caught last minute. Horrible last two possession. Can’t expect to pull them all out. Onto the next game. Still in decent position but lost our chance to be ranked.

he takes 2 dribbles and he has a 15 foot shot, or 2 shots from the line
Not if they foul him on the floor. Then they are impounding with under 2 seconds left. I agree he panicked. But if he sets himself there it's not really a bad shot. He rushed the shot with terrible form

Not if they foul him on the floor. Then they are impounding with under 2 seconds left. I agree he panicked. But if he sets himself there it's not really a bad shot. He rushed the shot with terrible form

Take a step to the hoop and get fouled in the act of shooting. Better yet make the play an inbound to Powell on the way to the hoop.

Reactions: Pirate 81
Please stop attacking Mamu. He had a wide open shot but unfortunately missed. Shit happens. Just let it go. It’s a long season.

Exactly. We've played in a ton of these games and the law of averages was bound to work against us. Chalk this up to an unexpected loss, which we will have several of, no different than an unexpected W or two we've nabbed to date. Team kept fighting and clawing. On the to the next one.

Please stop attacking Mamu. He had a wide open shot but unfortunately missed. Shit happens. Just let it go. It’s a long season.

Not attacking Mamu... I think it wasn’t a great play call, because Mamu had to be option 2 for the last shot if the screen didn’t work and he is isnt the second or third best option in that situation

Reactions: King of S

I totally agree.. it was a quality look. The possession before was the killer. So much time left and we only needed a two at that point.

Mamu has two loses on his shoulders, I don’t think anyone is more pissed than him so I think we should give him a break.

If anyone wants to blame anyone it’s definitely Willard. Mamu should not have been put in that situation. Out of all the players on the team the coach should know Sandro isn’t good with the ball in his hands late and this includes the pass to Reynolds vs St. John’s.

His guy played off him to double Powell. DePaul had 2 guys on Powell in the backcourt. At that point all he had to do was drive. The "foul to give" would have been too late as he could have put up a higher percentage shot. And, if he missed, he goes to the foul line. His shot was "open" from three, but he picked up the dribble with 2 guys less than five feet behind him who likely altered his shot.

Young guys gotta learn, that's all. I think I read someone on a previous thread saying, it's nice this year that we have a clear go to in Myles Powell instead of wondering which of our Seniors last year would step up in end of game situations. Frustrating that we couldn't see some of that magic tonight, but probably shouldn't have been in it with the way they played. But with how this season has gone so far, I expected more in that last play, and actually thought we were going to win. I wouldn't say it was a selfish shot by Mamu, but I totally saw him driving the ball, drawing a defender away from someone under the basket, to whom he could easily pass the ball (I think coach draws up the play for him to get the ball in that situation because he is such a good passer) and it's an easy layup for the win. With a clear 10 feet in front of you, what makes to pull up for an off balance three pointer?

Not attacking Mamu... I think it wasn’t a great play call, because Mamu had to be option 2 for the last shot if the screen didn’t work and he is isnt the second or third best option in that situation

I never meant to single you out. It was directed towards no one in particular.

don't think it's personally attacking Mamu but just the lack of execution that put us in position to have him take that shot

A lot of the players are "attacked" or, held accountable rather, on this forum. No player should be exempt from that. But they are kids, no need to be mean.

Mamu DID put the ball on the floor, and there was no foul. He took one dribble and pulled up from three off balance. When he picked up the dribble, there were 4 seconds left, 2 defenders on Powell, and no one in front of him. It had the makings of St. John's all over again, until he tried to win it himself. I don't think anyone would have done that on this team besides Powell. And, at this point in his career, I don't think Powell would pull up from three in that situation, but aggressively go to the basket. Poor in-game decision by Mamu. Hopefully the team gets back to being a team. Can't think that Nzei disappearing over the last few games is a good thing. He is still our senior and consistent go to early on in games when we need easy baskets.

Myles was doubled after the inbound. Willard said find Myles or drive.....Sandro shot it.

Reactions: mbraue
That was a terrible end game play by Sandro. Terrible.
Willard said the instructions were to get the ball back to Powell or drive it to the hoop. He did neither. That’s why he should have been taking out the ball or Quincy, not Powell.

Willard needs to tell these big men to get their asses in the paint and fight down low. On both ends of the glass.

A lot of the players are "attacked" or, held accountable rather, on this forum. No player should be exempt from that. But they are kids, no need to be mean.

Mamu DID put the ball on the floor, and there was no foul. He took one dribble and pulled up from three off balance. When he picked up the dribble, there were 4 seconds left, 2 defenders on Powell, and no one in front of him. It had the makings of St. John's all over again, until he tried to win it himself. I don't think anyone would have done that on this team besides Powell. And, at this point in his career, I don't think Powell would pull up from three in that situation, but aggressively go to the basket. Poor in-game decision by Mamu. Hopefully the team gets back to being a team. Can't think that Nzei disappearing over the last few games is a good thing. He is still our senior and consistent go to early on in games when we need easy baskets.
Mamu needs to take it to the hoop as Willard's 2nd option.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT