ADVERTISEMENT

Things looking bleak at the moment but…

As much as I like Kadary this could be a blessing in disguise. Last year it sounded like he wasn't willing to give up minutes an share are PG responsibilities. With Kadary gone he can bring in somebody with experience as well develop Felton. I just wish there were more returning players to bring over the culture.

In Sha we trust!

Reactions: Bluebeard
That's how it should be. No pay for play, no agents. True student athletes.
That is college basketball at its best, but the schools and fanbases got greedy. Nothing we can do about it. It's hypocritical to rake in the money these schools do on the backs of unpaid athletes. It's one thing to have TV contracts and charge for tickets. It's another thing to form coast-to-coast megaconferences, completely dispense with the idea of academics, build athletic facilities and athlete-only dorms suitable for a sheik, etc. all while paying the players zip. The money should be coming from the schools, not the fans, but that's a different conversation.

I'm sure changes are coming soon, as the status quo can't possibly continue. No one is happy with it. But I don't think we are ever going back to the way it was. MAYBE if the football schools finally leave (which I am increasingly hoping for), but I still don't know if it's possible.

That's how it should be. No pay for play, no agents. True student athletes.

This couldn't be more wrong.

The current system is a shit show, no argument there. But to say these kids, who are essentially slaves to the program giving up their lives and friends while traveling all over the country to make money for these schools should be compensated with a tutor who helps them meet the bare minimum is a ridiculously out of touch statement.

The definition of use and abuse.

The current system is a shit show, no argument there. But to say these kids, who are essentially slaves to the program giving up their lives and friends while traveling all over the country to make money for these schools should be compensated with a tutor who helps them meet the bare minimum is a ridiculously out of touch statement.

Use, maybe. You clearly don't know the definition of "slave." Back when PJ was coaching, the athletes lived in what was a brand new Xavier Hall, drove nice cars (Bill Ayers, I presume), and had electronics, clothing and jewelry. Tell the first-generation student who's parents are somehow paying for college that the full-scholarship athlete is being used and abused. Charter flights away from their friends, four star hotels. Let me get abused that way.

That is college basketball at its best, but the schools and fanbases got greedy. Nothing we can do about it. It's hypocritical to rake in the money these schools do on the backs of unpaid athletes. It's one thing to have TV contracts and charge for tickets. It's another thing to form coast-to-coast megaconferences, completely dispense with the idea of academics, build athletic facilities and athlete-only dorms suitable for a sheik, etc. all while paying the players zip. The money should be coming from the schools, not the fans, but that's a different conversation.

I'm sure changes are coming soon, as the status quo can't possibly continue. No one is happy with it. But I don't think we are ever going back to the way it was. MAYBE if the football schools finally leave (which I am increasingly hoping for), but I still don't know if it's possible.

I don't think we're going back either, but you outlined some stuff that was built for the players. Who do athletic facilities and athlete-only dorms benefit? Players. These guys were always receiving good compensation - it came in the form of a scholarship, national travel and exposure, and perks like the ones you outlined above. To me, that's more than enough compensation for what they do. Pure money and pay for play isn't the only form of compensation.

Reactions: dehere23

They never were slaves to the program. They could quit at anytime if they wanted to. They could decide not to play in the first place. You play college basketball because you like it, you're good at it, and you want to get better to enhance your pro prospects - the definition of what going to college is all about. Much like regular students, who don't go to college to make money during those four years. They go to learn skills and enhance their ability to earn a living AFTER college.

Nobody went to play for a college basketball program with the purpose of making the school money, that's completely ridiculous.

I don't think we're going back either, but you outlined some stuff that was built for the players. Who do athletic facilities and athlete-only dorms benefit? Players. These guys were always receiving good compensation - it came in the form of a scholarship, national travel and exposure, and perks like the ones you outlined above. To me, that's more than enough compensation for what they do. Pure money and pay for play isn't the only form of compensation.
Amen. Totally glossed over. Ask any family that has to pay for college. You add up the cost of 4 years, plus the other perks, and it is a damn good package. Equal to what many would make on the free market? Of course not. That's why I never had an issue whatsoever with any kid that wanted to go pro. You want to be a professional, be a professional.

One thing these student athletes maybe looking is state income taxes when you are talking about big numbers here. NY and NJ will take a pretty good cut.

Reactions: mbraue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT