ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from Fran

He makes some interesting points. Glad he called out Izzo too.

I really like the NIT idea. Make into something fun and exciting for the teams to travel to Vegas and get something out of it. Although in Vegas lots of stuff can happen.
Yes, Izzo deserves to be roasted for his foolish and amazingly selfish comments.

Reactions: Section112
He makes some interesting points. Glad he called out Izzo too.

I really like the NIT idea. Make into something fun and exciting for the teams to travel to Vegas and get something out of it. Although in Vegas lots of stuff can happen.
Nice idea for the pros but taking out college students for 9 straight days? Might as well make them full pros by then.

Nice idea for the pros but taking out college students for 9 straight days? Might as well make them full pros by then.
Only couple teams will be there the full time. As eliminated, take your chips and SWAG and go home

Might be hard to attract fans to the event on such short notice. That is the only thing I have questions about. Other than that if you make it a field trip for these NIL paid professionals, it doesn't concern me so much. Maybe Vegas can contribute NIL to get the players and families out there to gamble. I've heard of worse ideas.

I could be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure in 1989, our team was gone for at least three weeks without returning home. Nine days, with the distance-learning tools like Zoom available, is really nothing anymore.

Reactions: radecicco
Regular season champion should get the auto bid, not tourney champ. Thats the biggest problem
But that should be for all sports.
Right now a tourney winner gets a bid into every ncaa champ event

I could be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure in 1989, our team was gone for at least three weeks without returning home. Nine days, with the distance-learning tools like Zoom available, is really nothing anymore.
5. Stay West, young men

Carlesimo thought long and hard about bringing the team back to New Jersey before the West Regionals in Denver, then decided against it.

"I just thought it was better if we stayed out West, where we could avoid some of the distractions and not have to keep changing time zones,'' he said.

The result was a road trip that lasted 21 days, starting in Tucson, advancing to Denver and then shifting to Santa Monica, Calif., where the team holed up before heading to the Final Four in Seattle.

ESPN sent a limo to pick up Carlesimo while he was in Santa Monica for a lengthy interview with Roy Firestone. Carlesimo had been on such a tight schedule that he asked the limo driver if he would stop so he could get some lunch.

Zero reason to expand the tournament. If anything, go back to the old 64 team bracket. No reason for the silly first four. The tournament should be hard to make.

Reactions: dehere23
Regular season champion should get the auto bid, not tourney champ. Thats the biggest problem

My assumption is too much money is made on conference tourney's to get rid of them, and I do love the BE tournament, but I agree. Reward the mid major schools who were consistently good for 3-4 months, not someone who got hot for 4 days.

The counter is, well they should win their tournament! Even the best teams have poor shooting days. Duquesne funnily enough is on their way to beating BYU....still don't care to see them in the tournament.

Conference tourney's can be played for NIL. If you're worried current players aren't going to see a benefit from the winnings (the school could use the money to then pay for upgrades....this is admittedly complicated) create a separate pot with immediate earnings. This will maintain a competitive spirit in the tournament.

I'll provide the Anti-Izzo comment -

Now that some of the conferences are so huge - if a bid is stolen from a conference tournament, the Committee should consider removing a bubble team (if applicable) from that conference. That would give the conference teams IMO more incentive to win their conference but not punish other conferences for the fact that their bid was stolen only if applicable. It would never pass but it was fun writing it anyway - lol.

Zero reason to expand the tournament. If anything, go back to the old 64 team bracket. No reason for the silly first four. The tournament should be hard to make.
As we have seen, the NCAAT is hard to make as it is.

If conference tourney winners don't go, why have them in first place? I know it is money, but if the rep to the NCAA tournament has already been chosen, the conference gala becomes a useless exhibition. No interest in it for fans or players.

I can't see the first two or three rounds of a Las Vegas NIT drawing many.

I'd cut the NCAA back to 48. Know it would never happen: better chance of Depaul getting booted from the BE.
But eliminate the Virginias and Michigan States and other major conference bores with .500 league records.

If conference tourney winners don't go, why have them in first place? I know it is money, but if the rep to the NCAA tournament has already been chosen, the conference gala becomes a useless exhibition. No interest in it for fans or players.

I can't see the first two or three rounds of a Las Vegas NIT drawing many.

I'd cut the NCAA back to 48. Know it would never happen: better chance of Depaul getting booted from the BE.
But eliminate the Virginias and Michigan States and other major conference bores with .500 league records.

I'm not a fan of the NIL era but the obvious fair compromise is the conference tourney's are played for NIL money and the current players also get a nice cut of money (maybe $15-25k). I would consider switching it to a mid season tournament in this format, doesn't make sense to have it before the NCAA tourney.

In this format, everyone financially benefits and it keeps the conference tourneys competitive. Since they are more of a crapshoot, you increase conference parity with the lower seeds having a shot of winning neutral site tourneys and increasing their otherwise limited NIL funds.

5. Stay West, young men

Carlesimo thought long and hard about bringing the team back to New Jersey before the West Regionals in Denver, then decided against it.

"I just thought it was better if we stayed out West, where we could avoid some of the distractions and not have to keep changing time zones,'' he said.

The result was a road trip that lasted 21 days, starting in Tucson, advancing to Denver and then shifting to Santa Monica, Calif., where the team holed up before heading to the Final Four in Seattle.

ESPN sent a limo to pick up Carlesimo while he was in Santa Monica for a lengthy interview with Roy Firestone. Carlesimo had been on such a tight schedule that he asked the limo driver if he would stop so he could get some lunch.
And I ever remember where they ate, at Denny's lol

Conferences do not need to have tournies to pick conference winners, they choose to. The Ivy only recently added tourney and they only top 4 teams qualify.

Some of these low or lower end of mid majors should consider it as only get one school in anyway, so why not reward season champ. Plus they probably lose money or break even on conf tournies.

I like his ideas except the NIT is really past its useful life. I am surprised they have not moved it to Vegas now.

I'll provide the Anti-Izzo comment -

Now that some of the conferences are so huge - if a bid is stolen from a conference tournament, the Committee should consider removing a bubble team (if applicable) from that conference. That would give the conference teams IMO more incentive to win their conference but not punish other conferences for the fact that their bid was stolen only if applicable. It would never pass but it was fun writing it anyway - lol.
This was posted in another thread.

I hate this idea because you're penalizing a deserving team simply because another team in its conference managed to earn the conference's automatic bid.

My other thought is, what would our reaction be if Xavier or Butler won the BE Tournament and we were the team pushed out of the field solely because of this arbitrary rule?

This was posted in another thread.

I hate this idea because you're penalizing a deserving team simply because another team in its conference managed to earn the conference's automatic bid.

My other thought is, what would our reaction be if Xavier or Butler won the BE Tournament and we were the team pushed out of the field solely because of this arbitrary rule?
I knew folks would hate this idea. I was just having fun. Right now the Big conferences only care about how many of their teams they get in and guess what - they are winning. It will never happen.

That’s up to the conference. NCAA doesn’t mandate that. Each conference gets an autobid. How they allocate is up to them.

The could still have a conf tourney AND award the reg season change bid, but that would remove some of the shine from the conference tournaments.

Reactions: Section112
We MUST start with the transfer portal. No one should be talking about off court news and it overshadows the NCAA Tournament. There was a girl on Fairfield WBB that entered the portal on Monday, she was a borderline rotation player for a team that was going to NCAA Tournament!!!! The date needs to be moved to at least after the sweet 16 weekend, so if it was this year, it would be Monday April 1st. Then 8 teams left on each side, and the NIT/WBIT is also down to like 8 teams apiece, and then 7 days later no one is at major disadvantage from the remaining teams. It's nonsense to have coaches hosting transfers while coaching and getting ready for NCAA Tournament games! All the kids are still in school til at least like May 10th. They should be focused on catching up and organized with academics, decompressing, rather than the knee jerk reaction of transfer portal. It allows the coaches that are remaining to also decompress and not immediately be pushing out their spare parts because everyone thinks they can "upgrade" when all they are really doing is trading similar talent for similar talent most of the time. If the NCAA knew anything, moving it 2 weeks would make a world of difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT