ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bozzella fills out his staff

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Pirates Welcome Home Assistant Coach Ka-Deidre Simmons​

resize

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. - Seton Hall women's basketball head coach Anthony Bozzella announced today the hiring of Pirates' Hall of Famer Ka-Deidre Simmons as a new assistant coach for the program.

"It's fantastic to welcome back a Hall of Fame player and person to our family here at Seton Hall," Bozzella said. "Didi will once again be a tremendous asset and a catalyst for future success. Welcome home, Didi!"

Simmons returns to Seton Hall with a wealth of experience as both a player and coach. Most recently, she served as an assistant coach for St. Bonaventure University for the last two seasons assisting with scouting, recruiting and player development. With the Bonnies, Simmons enhanced the skill set of Atlantic 10 leading scorer Asianae Johnson and premiere shot-blocker I'yanna Lops, the latter of which is joining Simmons in South Orange.

Prior to her time with St. Bonaventure, Simmons served two years with Bozzella as his Coordinator of Basketball Operations at Seton Hall. In her first foray into college coaching, she was responsible for a multitude of aspects including the design of player development workouts and conditioning plans, generation of scouting reports, recruitment and new-player development and oversight of managers, among other duties.

A native of Newark, Simmons was a legend as a player at Seton Hall, leading the Pirates back into national prominence, while guiding them to a national ranking and the program's first NCAA Tournament appearance in 20 years in 2015. She ranks second all-time in assists (562) and first in free-throws made (502), fourth in points (1,717) and second in steals (257). Her 2015 season is one of the best in school history with averages of 17.0 points, 5.7 assists and 2.2 steals as the Pirates won the BIG EAST co-regular season championship and earned an NCAA Tournament at-large bid.

Simmons was a 2015 Associated Press All-America honorable mention, two-time All-BIG EAST First Team pick and the 2015 Met Writers Women's Basketball Player of the Year. In June of 2019, Simmons reached the pinnacle of Seton Hall excellence with her induction into the Seton Hall Athletics Hall of Fame, one of the youngest players to ever receive the prestigious honor.

Simmons played for the WNBA's Connecticut Sun during training camp and preseason. She then moved on to play two seasons professionally overseas in Finland and Romania.

Simmons earned her Bachelors Degree from Seton Hall in Broadcast and Visual Media in June 2014 and received a Masters in strategic communications in May 2020.

Callaway Named Newest Seton Hall Assistant Coach​

resize

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. - Seton Hall women's basketball head coach Anthony Bozzella announced today the hiring of Cassandra Callaway as a new assistant coach for the program.

Callaway rounds out Bozzella's staff joining Assistant Coach Ka-Deidre Simmons, who was announced yesterday, Assistant Coach Jose Rebimbas, Director of Player Development Pete Cinella and Director of Basketball Operations Shakena Richardson.

"I'm super excited to bring Cassandra, a Bayonne, N.J. resident, back home as our recruiting coordinator," Bozzella said. "Cassandra comes highly recommended and I know she will help our program in many ways on and off the court. She has had tremendous success under excellent head coaches at Eastern Michigan and UMass and I'm certain she'll continue her excellence here."

Callaway has quickly established herself as one of the premier young coaches in the country having served as an assistant coach for the last six seasons with three apiece at Eastern Michigan, and most recently, the University of Massachusetts.

In Amherst, Callaway served as the program's assistant coach and recruiting coordinator, managing all recruiting and scouting services needed for the program. She also worked closely on player development for the Minutewomen guards and wing players. In three seasons, Callaway's teams had enormous success, going to the postseason three times. UMass won the Atlantic 10 title and received an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament in 2021-22. In both 2021 and 2023, UMass earned a bid to the WNIT, winning program records of 26 and 27 games respectively in those seasons.

Over the past decade, Callaway has guided numerous All-Atlantic 10 and All-Mid-American Conference players, including Sam Breen the 2021-22 Atlantic 10 Player of the Year.

Showing her local ties, prior to joining Eastern Michigan's staff, Callaway served as an assistant coach at both Saint Anthony's High School in Jersey City, N.J. and Malcolm X Shabazz High School in nearby Newark, N.J.

A solid player at the University of Albany, she helped the Great Danes improve in every season culminating with the program's first NCAA Tournament berth in 2011-12. Overall, UA doubled its win total from her sophomore to senior seasons to finish with 50 victories in the three-year span. She finished her Albany career with 625 points, 116 assists, 81 steals and 44 starts.

Callaway graduated from Albany with a Bachelor's Degree in the Arts and Sciences, Communication and Rhetoric, and a Minor in Business Administration in 2012.

Reactions: shupat08
Both look like quality hires and both come with having recruiting experience and good to see a former player return home. Good luck to both assistants in their joining the Pirate family.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I'm assuming Rebimbas moved up to #1 spot. Dan any idea ?
There doesn’t have to be a set order for assistants, one may take lead on scouting/planning, one on recruiting and one on actual working with players, etc…. A good staff in any sport consists of coaching with various skills.

No expert of womens basketball, but seems like two good hires.

Tony hasn't assigned any of his three assistants the title of associate head coach so there is every possibility I won't get an answer and if not I 100% understand.

That said I will miss Lauren a ton but think Tony did a great job replacing her.

What type of civilian life did defalco fall into?
She lives by Rutgers and is working there but not in any BB capacity. She told me she will always be a Pirate and 100% will support Tony and his program.

This past season Lauren just burnt out and needed to do something else.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
There doesn’t have to be a set order for assistants, one may take lead on scouting/planning, one on recruiting and one on actual working with players, etc…. A good staff in any sport consists of coaching with various skills.

No expert of womens basketball, but seems like two good hires.
Set order for $$

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT