Trove Tidbit

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Part 3

Odds and ends from Media Day​

Colin Rajala

..............Bill Raftery

On the team’s potential...

I think they're really a team that can defend and now it's all up to the big guys and Sha told me today that he thinks they’re coming along pretty well upfront. I mean, that's the key really, in this kind of conference. If you can't defend, you’re in deep trouble, if you can't contest at the rim, you’re in for some problems as well, and if you can’t ring the bell on the other end, that puts you in a real dilemma. We know they will defend and they have guys that can score, so it seems like it will come down to the big guys and how they deal with the conference.

On the team’s outlook after being selected 9th in a loaded conference despite returning some serious talent...

I think you can use it as a tool, a chip on your shoulder kind of thing, which I think Sha will do. I think players are going to have to know that the winner [conference champion] may have five or six losses. So,you’ve got to play well at home, protecting home court is essential. You can’t get too far down, actually you can’t get down after a loss because you've probably got somebody like a Providence or Xavier coming in that you have to win after you played someone like UConn. I think mentally, Sha having been around and knowing what it takes will benefit them as well, but the players have to be resilient. I just think that’s how you have to be in this type of conference with four or five top 25 teams.

On the team’s versatility one through four...

Well, threes are more important than ever, there’s no question about it. Whether it's a kick out three or ball screen three, it certainly loosens up the defense a little bit. Their perimeter guys are very talented,so they can beat people off the dribble, where you have to convert is in the paint or convert on the kickout. Kadary can post up, he’s got a great post offense, just ask UConn. If you help on him, he can find a spot up guy, so I think they will do well because of their versatility.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT