ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Women get hosed by refs

Watched it a few times didn’t think it was moving but this clearly shows I was wrong.

All that being said you got to let them play on in that situation. Even if the call wasn’t made the girl still had to hit the shot. More than likely she would have missed regardless. It kills the excitement of game when you put it in the ref’s hands.

Watched it a few times didn’t think it was moving but this clearly shows I was wrong.

All that being said you got to let them play on in that situation. Even if the call wasn’t made the girl still had to hit the shot. More than likely she would have missed regardless. It kills the excitement of game when you put it in the ref’s hands.
So then don't foul. Fouling puts it in the refs hands.

It's a lot easier to hit a shot when your defender has been illegally removed from defending you.

After seeing some of the responses here either saying it wasn't a foul or that it was a foul but it shouldn't have been called, I'm more impressed that the refs did call it. The pressure to swallow the whistle at end game situations must obviously be very high. Kudos to them for not buckling to that pressure and making the right call. I'd hate to have been Iowa if the call isn't made and the player beats us by hitting a wide open shot that should never have been allowed to be attempted (which it thankfully was not in this case).

And I will note that I didn't see the game, just the replay. If moving screens like that one were actually not called all throughout the game (which would surprise me), then it is wrong to only call it at the end of the game and not at other times. The correction would be to have called them throughout the game when they were committed. Not to not call them at the end of game when they were also committed.

That was sarcasm. He said "We got called for three moving screens during the game and they weren't called for any [looong pause]... I guess we have to get better at that." 18-9 foul disparity is troubling as well.

The moving screen call down by one with three seconds left in the game is a tough way to go out after a really inspired season in which the team showed tremendous heart in overcoming seven player injuries.
A ref can’t make that call at the end of a game. That call is not consistently applied.

And I will note that I didn't see the game, just the replay. If moving screens like that one were actually not called all throughout the game (which would surprise me), then it is wrong to only call it at the end of the game and not at other times. The correction would be to have called them throughout the game when they were committed.

The refs were inconsistent. Here's a couple examples. Next two plays after the time stamp.

After seeing the other clips this morning through, the foul was a lot clearer than I thought it was and probably right to call it there. Just a horrible way to end a game, but that was Edwards fault.

I initially thought horrible call but after seeing more angles, it was a foul. Ref should NOT call it in that moment though.

Iowa does get an unreal whistle, there’s been a clear agenda to favor them

I saw some statistic that Clark's Elite 8 game had a higher TV rating than the competing men's game at the same time, or something like that (believe that was the comparison). Which is absolutely wild if accurate. All this companies spin their ratings stuff, so I'm never sure about what the data really means.

Jadens been called for 100 of them this yesr. She was obviously leaning out. Gotta stand still. I hate seeimg calls happen for fouls not there but i feel thats been a point of emphasis in college bb this yr and u sis it directly in front of the ref

As much as I wanted UCONN to win for more BE publicity it was clearly a foul in my eyes. Actually that “block” would make any offensive tackle smile.

Reactions: halltheway
If she hadn't led with her forearm they might have let it slide but I doubt it.

Iowa missed so many bunnies early on. I really thought that Uconn was going to win.
I haven't been impressed with the Iowa coach at all. Their end of game offensive sets & defense in both the LSU & UConn game were atrocious.

That was sarcasm. He said "We got called for three moving screens during the game and they weren't called for any [looong pause]... I guess we have to get better at that." 18-9 foul disparity is troubling as well.

The moving screen call down by one with three seconds left in the game is a tough way to go out after a really inspired season in which the team showed tremendous heart in overcoming seven player injuries.
I know it was sarcasm but with a grain of truth. She needs to set a better pick.

It was a foul. There’s really no debating that.
Yep, of course it's a foul that happens dozens of times a game and goes uncalled. I think that's the point. With three seconds left in a one point game, maybe that's not the moment to decide to enforce it.

Yep, of course it's a foul that happens dozens of times a game and goes uncalled. I think that's the point. With three seconds left in a one point game, maybe that's not the moment to decide to enforce it.
But if it’s a foul you can’t choose when it gets called or not.

But if it’s a foul you can’t choose when it gets called or not.
If every single moving screen was called every game I'd agree with you. They rarely are and I can't remember the one bring called in the last three seconds of the game.

If every single moving screen was called every game I'd agree with you. They rarely are and I can't remember the one bring called in the last three seconds of the game.
Every one isn't. Ones that bad typically are

You can say that about any foul or violation though. Just because a legitimate foul got called when you didn’t think it should’ve isn't a justifiable reason.

I’m sure it’s happened before and will happen again. Your memory is not the arbiter of history. It is clear as day…she moved into Marshall, put her forearm up and prevented Marshall from getting through.

She looks like she was doing jumping jacks! Her legs were spread so far apart. Shouldn't they be in a normal stance, like shoulder width? Then she leaned and pushed her elbow into her, blatant foul. If you think that shouldn't be called "at this time of the game", then I guess the defensive should just foul every time, and it "shouldn't be called"?

Reactions: halltheway
I don't understand the controversy. I did not watch the game but I saw numerous replays and that was as blatant a foul as you will ever see.

Normally in that situation I like to see the refs swallow their whistles. But not when the pick is that obvious. It gives a major advantage to the offense.

Auriemma is dead wrong. And personally although he would never say it I think he knows it.

I don't understand the controversy. I did not watch the game but I saw numerous replays and that was as blatant a foul as you will ever see.

Normally in that situation I like to see the refs swallow their whistles. But not when the pick is that obvious. It gives a major advantage to the offense.

Auriemma is dead wrong. And personally although he would never say it I think he knows it.
Paige B handled the questions about the call with the most class. I wish she had run her defender off the screen a little better, because I think she would have hit the shot and returned to her best player status after major injuries.

Reactions: Halldan1
Most coaches will tell you the fault on the foul more often than not is because of the ball handler not allowing the pick to be set properly.

They have to give their teammate enough time to set the pick and then cut off it properly so as to not allow the ref to blow his/her whistle.

That's how bad it was...hate to say it CL82.

Auriemma is dead wrong. And personally although he would never say it I think he knows it
How is he wrong? His only public comment has been that he "guesses" that his team needs to get better at setting screens.

I heard far more than that from him saying the calls weren't made on other plays.

You're beating a dead horse here. I was strongly rooting for UConn so there is no bias when I say the call was 100% correct.

I heard far more than that from him saying the calls weren't made on other plays.

You're beating a dead horse here. I was strongly rooting for UConn so there is no bias when I say the call was 100% correct.
OK, I haven't heard those other quotes. I'm not saying they're not there, I just haven't heard them.

For what it's worth, I'm just responding to people's posts. For those who say "well, it was a foul" I would agree with if every single call was called during the game. If that were true would look a lot different. Since judgment calls are made on every single play, often deciding not to call, then it's fair to criticize the decision to file on a screen in a one point final four game.

After one heck of a run by a severely depleted team, it's a tough way to go out.

OK, I haven't heard those other quotes. I'm not saying they're not there, I just haven't heard them.

For what it's worth, I'm just responding to people's posts. For those who say "well, it was a foul" I would agree with if every single call was called during the game. If that were true would look a lot different. Since judgment calls are made on every single play, often deciding not to call, then it's fair to criticize the decision to file on a screen in a one point final four game.

After one heck of a run by a severely depleted team, it's a tough way to go out.
I really liked this team and love the way Paige B plays, but I think she will tell you she did a poor job setting up that screen and did not run her defender into the screen leaving daylight for the defender to get through. It was clearly a foul.

Also, Iowa had the shot covered well but I think Paige either hits the shot or makes the correct pass there.

Would have loved to see it play out, but the foul was obvious and nothing like the Clougherty call. This foul was directly assisting the play's design.

The foul called on UConn in traffic in the lane was truly a bad call, but those happen.

Reactions: CL82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT