ADVERTISEMENT

Unbelievable Win

The mental aspect of the game is not to be underestimated. We came out timid, played scared, but then got angry, and started pounding away until we regained the lead and won. Meanwhile, St. John's continues to fold like a cheap suit in the second half of games.

For the rest of the season, especially in away games, we need to play to tough and keep our composure. If we do so, we can beat anyone.

Reactions: Turiddu
Bediako and wusu toughness too. Nobody played well offensively. We wasted ton of ops. And we win. Nice! And phew!
Too many forced fast break layups and a couple of bad 3s taken. But the defense and rebounding in 2nd half was great. Kudos to Sha and his staff

Reactions: Turiddu
Tonight was never an effort issue. We just played poorly in the first half. Everything changed after the Sha technical foul. We held them to 5 points 11 mins into the second half. What a win!
We played poorly on the offensive side all game. But in the second half we shaheened their asses.

We kill x on a beautiful offensive display. And kick sjus ass on toughness

Fouls were in SH’s favor as we shot 25 - 37 (67.6%) and SJU was 10-13 (77%) and was a plus in our winning today.

St John’s went from 1:41 left in the first half to 3:01 left and scored 8 points.
Is that right? I will see how many points we scored in that stretch. Combine that with the 28-0 run in the first game and I’d love to know the totals and game minutes combined

Dre Davis toughed this out. Saw him limping in between plays in the second half. Without him I don't think we win this game. And Addae Wusu was shot out of a cannon in the second half and played great D. Kadary woke up in the second half and Dawes three was huge down the stretch. Gotta hit those FTs but great win and comeback for the good guys. Love it!!!

Tough team!! Junk yard dog mentality!!
I don't remember who the poster was, but awhile back someone posted that "toughness" was just a bunch of coach speak or words to that effect. You can't measure toughness, he basically said. That's true, but toughness, positive frame of mind, that "junk yard dog mentality", whatever you want to call it is much more than coach speak. It is a definite individual characteristic that is measurable in comebacks, close wins, bruises, single mindedness, playing with reckless abandon, playing hurt. You won't see a metric for it in KenPom or Net or whatever.... but toughness is something you can sense, feel and touch. If you've ever played in athletic event, I think you would agree.

I don't remember who the poster was, but awhile back someone posted that "toughness" was just a bunch of coach speak or words to that effect. You can't measure toughness, he basically said. That's true, but toughness, positive frame of mind, that "junk yard dog mentality", whatever you want to call it is much more than coach speak. It is a definite individual characteristic that is measurable in comebacks, close wins, bruises, single mindedness, playing with reckless abandon, playing hurt. You won't see a metric for it in KenPom or Net or whatever.... but toughness is something you can sense, feel and touch. If you've ever played in athletic event, I think you would agree.
richmond and dawes said this pretty much verbatim in their postgame

St John’s went from 1:41 left in the first half to 3:01 left and scored 8 points.

That......is as unbelievable a stat as there is....that is less than 2 minutes short of an entire half of basketball.....that is hard to do!
Well, it's not quite true although that doesn't diminish the accomplishment. SJU scored 12 points in that span.

SJU scored four points in the first 12 minutes of the second half. We started the half on a 21-5 run. Held them to one basket over the first 13 minutes -- including a stretch of more than nine minutes without a field goal.

Is that right? I will see how many points we scored in that stretch. Combine that with the 28-0 run in the first game and I’d love to know the totals and game minutes combined.
We scored 38 points in that stretch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT