ADVERTISEMENT

Walsh Gym

According to Seth Greenberg Seton Hall should play every home game at Walsh. They would go undefeated at home and it would be the toughest venue to play at in the big East. The fans are right on top of the court.

It was a fun 3 game stretch.
Unfortunately Seth has no idea what the arena capacity requirement in the Big East is, and it ain’t 1500.

Willard hated playing at Walsh. In light of what Sha has done at Walsh, I'm thinking Kevin's negativity was infectious for the team. We played some awful games in Walsh under Willard.
Lost an nit 2nd round game there

He did. But that was after he won a first rounder against Pikiel’s Stony Brook. And in fairness to KW that was our first NIT win since 1953. We were something like 0-11 before beating SB.

Reactions: LBP43
He did. But that was after he won a first rounder against Pikiel’s Stony Brook. And in fairness to KW that was our first NIT win since 1953. We were something like 0-11 before beating S
Unfortunately Seth has no idea what the arena capacity requirement in the Big East is, and it ain’t 1500.
i think he does. He was just filling air time.

Now his comment that we have a backcourt as good as anyone. That was a comment to relish. He should tell the selection committee.

Somebody here posted Seth is the worst but that is so untrue. He may get some things wrong like giving up a few dollars to play all games at Walsh but he is fair. The only person at ESPN who gives the Big East and he is not an ACC homer despite coaching at VT Tech.

Somebody here posted Seth is the worst but that is so untrue. He may get some things wrong like giving up a few dollars to play all games at Walsh but he is fair. The only person at ESPN who gives the Big East and he is not an ACC homer despite coaching at VT Tech.
You get the sense he doesn’t feel the need to promote others over the Big East like others in the network. He did a long spot with Pitino early in the year, during a practice I think, which aired on ESPN.

Reactions: TomD82 and shupat08
In TV the crowd is so loud at Walsh. It’s really a shame that there is not enough property for an on campus arena. There is a significant improvement in intimidation factor for the opposition. But, Prudential is a damn good to have. And that’s our reality

SHU will always struggle to build in SO; see the fiasco it took to get the Practice Facility through the SO Planning Board. SHU may want to buy property outside of SO (E.g., purchasing St. Elizabeth's College) and move some facilities over there. The only issue is that if you want an on-campus stadium in SO, you'll still need to clear it through the town. If you add an on-campus stadium in the second location, you'll run into the same issues of an "off -campus arena"

In TV the crowd is so loud at Walsh. It’s really a shame that there is not enough property for an on campus arena. There is a significant improvement in intimidation factor for the opposition. But, Prudential is a damn good to have. And that’s our reality
Prudential Center is a “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade” situation.

I’m sure something could be done somewhere to improve our situation but it would take creativity and the right leadership to execute. I don’t know what the answer is tho…

SHU will always struggle to build in SO; see the fiasco it took to get the Practice Facility through the SO Planning Board. SHU may want to buy property outside of SO (E.g., purchasing St. Elizabeth's College) and move some facilities over there. The only issue is that if you want an on-campus stadium in SO, you'll still need to clear it through the town. If you add an on-campus stadium in the second location, you'll run into the same issues of an "off -campus arena"
Shouldn’t the Livingston Mall go belly up sooner rather than later? When that happens I would love to see Seton Hall grab that property.

I’ve thought that too - that mall must be on life support.
Good points. Monmouth mall was on life support and now half was knocked down and is becoming luxury apartments. If an arena could become part of a mixed use arena that would be something. But, I don't see that ever happening.

Good points. Monmouth mall was on life support and now half was knocked down and is becoming luxury apartments. If an arena could become part of a mixed use arena that would be something. But, I don't see that ever happening.
Agreed, I’m sure it’s possible I just don’t see that happening. That land will be sold to a developer for top dollar and a massive apartment complex will be built (similar to the one recently built just down the road on Eisenhower)

Reactions: TomD82
Put an arena (10k) and maybe a dedicated soccer stadium up there along with some mixed use student apartments with retail and restaurants underneath. Let the upperclassman live up there and the freshman and sophomore’s live in the current res halls on campus. Require all students to live on campus like Providence does.

Reactions: haydenma
I guess Seth forgot we got beaten badly there by St John's in '22. In fairness, we had just lost Aiken, and had beaten St John's 2 days earlier. In addition, maybe Willard's negativity did infect the team.

Put an arena (10k) and maybe a dedicated soccer stadium up there along with some mixed use student apartments with retail and restaurants underneath. Let the upperclassman live up there and the freshman and sophomore’s live in the current res halls on campus. Require all students to live on campus like Providence does.
That’s not true by any stretch at Providence

I like the Livingston idea a lot. While it would be technically "off campus," it would be much more accessible than the Pru. Look at the RAC. It's not technically on campus, yet it packs with students all season long (caveat with school size vs. SHU). My point is that SHU had a chance to increase the campus area in its history, but it did not happen, and now they need to get creative to answer the bell (if they want to answer it at all).

For example, it would be a much bigger pain for me to get to games in Livingston than in Newark. Granted, I make far less noise in the stands lol.

None I’d this will happen. The Rock needs upgrades though, it’s time 17 years in.

Reactions: SOBO1
The RAC isn‘t on campus?

And does anyone realize what the value is of that Livingston property? Plus the actual development? Who is paying for that?

Reactions: Nbnylon and Piratz
None I’d this will happen. The Rock needs upgrades though, it’s time 17 years in.
What can you do at the Rock to improve college basketball atmosphere? It is cavernous. Acoustics stink. They should put a curtain over all sections and just make it max capacity 6k lol

Reactions: SOBO1
The Rock is a very comfortable place to watch a game (i.e. huge concourse, plenty of bathrooms etc.) and it’s a nice transportation hub, but it’s not a good college basketball venue.

I’ve often wondered what the heck we would have done if Devils never built it. They were close to leaving the state. Would Continental remained opened just for Seton Hall? That arena long exceeded its life span. I genuinely don’t know what we would have done if devils and nets left.

The Rock is a very comfortable place to watch a game (i.e. huge concourse, plenty of bathrooms etc.) and it’s a nice transportation hub, but it’s not a good college basketball venue.

Not a good college basketball venue? The 2011 regionals were a huge success and the NCAA only stopped going there because of gambling laws (which they're now OK with, LOL). The Rock is hosting the East Regional next year.

What needs to be upgraded? It's a fine arena.
Yeah it’s fine. That’s a good assessment of it.

Many arenas undergo upgrades like seats, lighting, concession and concourse design, general amenities. etc., like people do at their house every 20-30 years to enhance the experience.

Yeah it’s fine. That’s a good assessment of it.

Many arenas undergo upgrades like seats, lighting, concession and concourse design, general amenities. etc., like people do at their house every 20-30 years to enhance the experience.

I don't think it needs much at all. They put in that big video board some years back, that was a big change.

What the county should do would be to knock south mountain arena down. Develop it further as residential or environmental space or even consider expanding the zoo.

Co-build a development at the Livingston mall with a mixed use arena for seton hall / Essex county and add residential + retail developments

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT