ADVERTISEMENT

Where is Supreme Cook leaning? Do we have a chance with him?

I’d posit that Georgetown as a whole was atrocious defensively, and that is more a product of Cooley’s poor coaching than anything else.

Cook has an extremely high motor. Give Sha & Co. an off season to work with him and he will be a competent defender come November.
Don't use that word "posit", LOL.

It's not just last year that he was not good defensively. Still would be a good get and what Seton Hall needs though. Not sure where some like shu67 think anyone here is saying we don't want him (reading comprehension).

I don't tote the company line here that everything Seton Hall is great, anyone that selects Seton Hall is great, and anyone that doesn't select Seton Hall is garbage. I'm not flnj86. Sha has proven what he can do but there are no guarantees.

PER largely measures offensive performance. Hollinger freely admits that two of the defensive statistics it incorporates—blocks and steals (which was not tracked as an official stat until 1973)—can produce a distorted picture of a player's value and that PER is not a reliable measure of a player's defensive acumen. For example, Bruce Bowen, widely regarded as one of the best defenders in the NBA through the 2006–07 season, routinely posted single-digit PERs.

Reactions: Flnj86
college basketball is now following your coach each year to see what he can do with the pieces he was able to secure with an allotted budget.

if this guy is useful to sha or has some sort of upside then its positive. even being able to field a team with guys who aren't last minute roster filler spots is positive right now.

at least cook has already played full season big east schedule.

Reactions: Flnj86

It's not just last year that he was not good defensively. Still would be a good get and what Seton Hall needs though. Not sure where some like shu67 think anyone here is saying we don't want him (reading comprehension).

I don't tote the company line here that everything Seton Hall is great, anyone that selects Seton Hall is great, and anyone that doesn't select Seton Hall is garbage. I'm not flnj86. Sha has proven what he can do but there are no guarantees.
You made the mistake of showing a con to a pro. That’s a no-no on Piratecrew.

SPK145 I guess when you posted this "I hear he may be in play for us. Terrible defender but the pickings are getting slim." I miss read and you really wanted Supreme to join the Pirates and were really very positive.

SPK145 I guess when you posted this "I hear he may be in play for us. Terrible defender but the pickings are getting slim." I miss read and you really wanted Supreme to join the Pirates and were really very positive.
Pickings are really slim. If we don’t get him, we’re looking at 3 completely inexperienced options unless we luck out with another competent miracle find like Bediako.

PER largely measures offensive performance. Hollinger freely admits that two of the defensive statistics it incorporates—blocks and steals (which was not tracked as an official stat until 1973)—can produce a distorted picture of a player's value and that PER is not a reliable measure of a player's defensive acumen. For example, Bruce Bowen, widely regarded as one of the best defenders in the NBA through the 2006–07 season, routinely posted single-digit PERs.
I've never used Hollinger.

I am no tote the company line man either, but our staff has a proven track record of coaching bigs who can at least hold their own defensively. (Ndefo + Samuel in year 1, Bediako + EHE in year 2.)

I’m not saying he’s going to be DPOY, but he certainly can be coached into becoming a solid defender.

I am no tote the company line man either, but our staff has a proven track record of coaching bigs who can at least hold their own defensively. (Ndefo + Samuel in year 1, Bediako + EHE in year 2.)

I’m not saying he’s going to be DPOY, but he certainly can be coached into becoming a solid defender.
Agreed but need to realize what he currently is.

I really think it’s splitting hairs between Abass and Cook.

One is more experienced, which could be good for maturity and understanding what Sha wants.

The other is more raw and can be molded, but will most likely make more mistakes.

Remember these are all one year deals.

I really think it’s splitting hairs between Abass and Cook.

One is more experienced, which could be good for maturity and understanding what Sha wants.

The other is more raw and can be molded, but will most likely make more mistakes.

Remember these are all one year deals.
And we’re not getting either of them, so no point in splitting hairs lol

i think the situation is to only look at the positives now. every year we will start in an extremely negative situation. we dont have money. our competitors do. if we have a great player theyll move on the next year. the whole situation is a con, so every move that happens we have to evaluate why it's a pro. again, are the guys enough for SHA to work with to punch through to the tournament. that's all it is.

And we’re not getting either of them, so no point in splitting hairs lol
Such a positive attitude, how can you say we're not getting Cook? What do you base your statement on, any concrete proof?

No need for name calling…. I give you facts on the Trove (corroborated by Dan) and you choose to reject them. I’m not gonna keep playing that game.

We aren’t getting many of our top targets. It happens. Hopefully Sha lands players that he can mold. That’s reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: piratesbball08
No need for name calling…. I give you facts and you choose to reject them. I’m not gonna keep playing that game.

We aren’t getting every one of our top targets. It happens. Hopefully Sha lands players that he can mold. That’s reality.
Don't need to get everyone of our top targets, only need to get 1 or 2 of our last targets. ( no coach get's ever one of their top targets, that's why in recruiting they target several players)

Last edited:
Reactions: TrueBlue1989
And if Abass comes around next year, love again. Until he chooses another school, then he’s a backup to a backup to a backup plan.

The guys with super secret top shelf sources never reveal anything.

It's pretty obvious that the "insiders" know as much as you and I. We're all in the dark.
Seems like it wasn't down to us or Wake, this is from a Wake fan... "Abass was planning to visit Mississippi st and Oklahoma next. Good thing we got him before." If this is true, then our insiders really had no clue when it came to the Abass recruitment.

Last edited:
The guys with super secret top shelf sources never reveal anything.

It's pretty obvious that the "insiders" know as much as you and I. We're all in the dark.
Seems like it wasn't down to us or Wake, this is from a Wake fan... "Abass was planning to visit Mississippi st and Oklahoma next. Good thing we got him before." If this is true, then our insiders really had no clue when it came to the Abass recruitment.
If it wasn’t about money then surely it must be because Wake has nicer facilities than us. Or because he’d rather be a backup than a starter. Or he’d rather play in a lesser conference. Or because he clicked with Forbes more than Sha.

If it wasn’t about money then surely it must be because Wake has nicer facilities than us. Or because he’d rather be a backup than a starter. Or he’d rather play in a lesser conference. Or because he clicked with Forbes more than Sha.
..........or beside their academics are superior or that their campus is superior...Basically everything about Wake Forest is better than Seton Hall. Keep in mind that Abass will be a back up at Wake and would've been starting here. He understood that and still chose Wake.

Reactions: Belluno
Basically everything about Wake Forest is better than Seton Hall. Keep in mind that Abass will be a back up at Wake and would've been starting here. He understands that and still chose Wake.
I agree. But what’s the reason if it’s not about money?

if we don’t land Cook, the loss of EHE really going to hurt more.

The BE is a better conference than the ACC, maybe he would not have started at SHU. We might have not added our starting C yet. How can your starting C shoot FT's at a 42% clip, (Abass shot FT's at a 42 % clip, DePaul didn't win many games)

..........or beside their academics are superior or that their campus is superior...Basically everything about Wake Forest is better than Seton Hall. Keep in mind that Abass will be a back up at Wake and would've been starting here. He understood that and still chose Wake.
I truly don’t understand the academics argument people keep bringing up for college basketball players.

Do we really think some kid is going to go to a program that’s ranked better at academics?

Except in very special cases, that has zero—zero—to do with any decision.

Posters on our board are saying that $ is a very big factor in his recruitment and that this year's market forces will most likely push the $ he ultimately receives far beyond what one might expect based on his abilities alone.

Reactions: SOpirate
I truly don’t understand the academics argument people keep bringing up for college basketball players.

Do we really think some kid is going to go to a program that’s ranked better at academics?

You mean Richmond wasn’t impressed by the MBA program at St John’s?

so Bryce Aiken turned down Seton Hall originally because he felt Amaker was a better coach and had a better basketball program?

You can find examples on both sides of this. It’s what is important to the individual athlete and his family.

so Bryce Aiken turned down Seton Hall originally because he felt Amaker was a better coach and had a better basketball program?

You can find examples on both sides of this. It’s what is important to the individual athlete and his family.
Aikens was pre NIL bad example .

Reactions: hallstorm
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT