ADVERTISEMENT

Why should we support Onward Setonia?

walshtrips

All American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2006
Contributing my money to "pay athletes" was a hard pill to swallow when the NCAA announced its NIL guidelines in June of 2021. When we view NIL in a vacuum, it seems unfair that athletes are receiving a free education and profiting from their NIL. The reality is that college athletics and college athletes don't exist in a vacuum. College athletes have been creating revenue for universities and the NCAA for decades. Enabling athletes to monetize their contribution makes perfect sense.

A good athletic team provides benefits to the university, and community, which far outweigh the cost of a $2M to $3M NIL budget. Study after study have shown that the benefits of a good athletic team trumps the costs associated with the program. Benefits include increased enrollment, increased admission standards, a better campus life, increased alumni donations, and branding that couldn't be bought with money alone.

A well funded NIL program will enable Seton Hall to compete with Top 25 teams easier than it's been in the past. Excellent facilities are great, but they don't move the needle like they did in the past. We all agree that the NCAA should be doing more - with less reliance on alumni and fans, but we have to play the hand we've been dealt.

Seton Hall witnessed a tremendous economic boost in 1989 when we went to the NCAA championship game, and again when we won the Big East Tournament in 2016.

Supporting NIL should not be viewed in a vacuum, you're supporting the entire Seton Hall community. The next time you consider whether to support, take a broader view as to how you're contribution is impacting the university.

Onward Setonia!

I fully understand those that are not happy paying college athletes. That mindset was borne of past decades of financial abuse by the wealthy and selfish admins in the NCAA.

I have no problem saying I too was swept up in that mindset and had a difficult time accepting the new reality. Truthfully to a point I still do because now the pendulum has swung too far on the other side as the system is rife with those bending the rules to a point that guidelines must be a part of this new reality less the sport will be ruined for all but the wealthy (read football factories).

Now, Mike above is right in what he says. Invest in the school by investing in the athletes is a goal that must be attained if we want to continue to enjoy the success we have under coaches like Carlesimo and Willard. Give Shaheen Holloway a chance to do what we all know he can do.

Most here can't give thousands of dollars a year but most here can certainly do their part. If you want a successful program. If you enjoy going to the games or watching on TV with pride then for that to continue you are going to have to help.

I hate to say this but success now lies on the shoulders of all the fans and alums. That's a reality that we have to accept.

The players should have shared in the profits their efforts created. The money went into bidding wars for coaches who are the overpaid persons. The NIL is poorly designed and a license to cheat and the way the game is being played.

So I agree with Mike and am doing what I can.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT