ADVERTISEMENT

Was Kevin Willard always like this?

For all PJ accomplished, he was a silver-spoon guy, too. (Aren't all sons of coaches?)
Does PJ go to New Hampshire and then Wagner---as soon as he did--- if he were not [a walk-on] at Fordham due to his father being its AD?
Started as a 3rd assistant at Fordham 1st 4yrs. then . NH. Pitino son started as an assistant at College of Charleston . 2 coaches sons far cry from Willards start with the Celtices and Louisville .

That is all true. But we were a disgrace when he took the job (and yes, he inherited a talented team, and yes, that BE was a harder league at the top). We sucked for the first few years he was our coach. He got read the riot act and for whatever reason he used questionable but legal means to get two stars to come here, and from them on we were good. Usually NCAA good, for the second time in history. PJ got there and dominated. Kevin just got there. But no one else has done what he did at SHU but PJ. That is not good enough for many posters. But it is better than every coach but PJ ever gave us.
I've said many times I'm glad he was here. I wanted him to get the job, and he certainly restored us to respectability. But his achievements seemed capped because he didn't seem to know how to drive a good team to be better or more consistent. Some of those years, he did a good job just getting us to the NCAAs. Others teams underperformed and landed seeds where it was almost impossible to advance. That year we beat NC State in the 8/9 game before having to play No. 1 Kansas was a time when we had a team that was too good to have to play No. 1 in the second round. Even the year that was halted by the pandemic was likely headed nowhere because we were trending the wrong way, backing into a Big East regular season title that should've been ours outright.

I understand the folks who put him second to P.J. in the modern era, and you can make a good case for it. But top me, it's more a product of him being too successful to fire, but not doing enough to be poached by a program with more resources. It's speculative, but I'd bet a paycheck that Amaker would've outperformed him had he remained for a decade. He certainly did when you compare their first four years, with Tommy taking us three points from the Elite Eight and the nation's top class coming in. We all know how that year went sideways, but I have little doubt that he would've straightened that out and continued to recruit very well here. But we won't know.

I also think Louis Orr compared very nicely compared to Willard, but again, we only have five seasons to go by. He won as many NCAA games as Willard did here, and also made two tournaments in five years, after being snubbed in 2003 when we were 10-6 in the Big East. Those NCAA teams had very different casts, so he did it with a few of Tommy's guys and with his own. He also did a very nice job settling a program that was coming out a tumultuous time. It's a tenure that has aged well to me.

I remember thinking when he was fired that I was on board with it because I also felt like even though we were making NCAAs, I never felt like we were going to advance anywhere in them. It was the same feeling I had with Willard, who was extended much more grace here by the univesity and the fans than Louis Orr ever was, despite similar success relative to their length of service. That only served to feed his outrageous sense of entitlement, the kind coaches get when they start their careers on the Celtics' bench.

Ridiculous. Could one say that about any coach's son? Paid his dues at Iona, same conference as Shaheen, Cooley, Caffrey, and even Pitino, Part II. Revised our program---- one even our most positive/optimistic posters feel is a tough place to succeed---- after the train wreck he inherited. That's some "silver spoon."
Let's see the 1st job out of school Celtic assistant (4 yrs.) then Louisville assistant (5 yrs.) then Iona , Hall and now Maryland .He is only 48 yrs. old . Great work if you can get it especially starting out with the Celtics. Most coaches start out at the H S level and work their way up .
Reactions: shupat08

Pirates Welcome Villanova To Sold-Out Prudential Center

resize

Game 30: Villanova Wildcats (17-12, 10-8 BIG EAST) vs. Seton Hall Pirates (18-11, 11-7 BIG EAST)
Wednesday, March 6 • Newark, N.J. • Prudential Center (10,481) • 6:30 p.m.
TV: FS1 • Alex Faust & Donny Marshall
Web: FOXSports.com/Live
Radio: SHU Pirates Mobile App / Pirate Sports Network / SiriusXM 381 / SXM App / Gary Cohen & Dave Popkin
Game Notes: Seton Hall | Villanova
Follow Along: Instagram | X | Live Stats

Notes You Need To Know
  • Winners of three of its last five games and coming off of a two-game road trip against two teams currently ranked in the top 10, the Seton Hall men's basketball team returns to the friendly confines of Prudential Center on Wednesday evening.
  • Picked to finish ninth out of 11 teams in the BIG EAST preseason poll, the Pirates are in sole possession of fourth place in the BIG EAST standings at 11-7.
  • The last six meetings between Villanova and Seton Hall at Prudential Center have been decided by single digits dating back to the 2017-18 season.
  • Seton Hall's eight 10-win seasons since realignment in 2013-14 is tied for second in the BIG EAST:
10+ BIG EAST Win Seasons since 2013-14
1. Villanova - 10
2. Seton Hall - 8
Creighton - 8
Providence - 8
5. Marquette - 5

• After posting the best season by a first-year head coach in program history, Shaheen Holloway is once again raising the bar for Seton Hall head coaches as he now owns the most wins and BIG EAST victories by a head coach in his first two seasons.
Most Wins Most BIG EAST Wins

1. Shaheen Holloway (2022-24) - 35 1. Shaheen Holloway - 21

2. Kevin Willard (2010-12) - 34 2. Tommy Amaker - 17

3. Tommy Amaker (1997-99) - 30 3. Louis Orr (2001-03) - 15

Richie Regan (1960-62) - 30 Kevin Willard - 15

• Holloway is one of only eight coaches in BIG EAST history to win 10 BIG EAST games in each of his first two seasons, joining Bob Huggins (West Virginia), Jamie Dixon (Pitt), Mike Brey (Notre Dame), Paul Evans (Pitt), Buzz Williams (Marquette), Mike Jarvis (St. John's) and Chris Holtmann (Butler).
  • Seton Hall is 11-3 at Prudential Center this season and 6-2 against BIG EAST opponents.
  • Kadary Richmond, who's one of two players in the BIG EAST (Devin Carter, PC) to rank in the top 10 in scoring, rebounding, assists and steals in league play, is one of 40 players named to the Oscar Robertson Trophy and All-America Watch List.
  • Dre Davis is making a case for being the BIG EAST's Most Improved Player as he's gone from averaging 18.8 minutes and 9.6 points per game last season to 31.8 minutes and 14.4 points per game this season.
  • Jaden Bediako ranks second in the BIG EAST and eighth in Division I averaging 3.8 offensive rebounds per game.
  • The Pirates are 16-5 this season when Al-Amir Dawes scores in double figures and 7-2 when he's the team's leading scorer.

Haley Endorsement

Its’s been a virtual lock that Biden and Trump will be the nominees since Biden’s inauguration. As someone who works in Washington, I can tell you that the entire town has known this all along. Anything else was just a pipe dream.

As for Nikki Haley, there is zero chance she runs as a third Party. She wants to be the standard bearer for Republicans post-Trump, and handing the election to Biden with a third party run would end her career… and before anyone asks, no she would not even come close to winning the Presidency if she did.

Barring something health related we are in for a Biden-Trump rematch.
Reactions: SHUSA

No, let's never forget the hardscrabble tale of a determined 22-year-old aspiring coach who beat the long odds set before him to land a spot with the ... let's see here ... ah, here it is: the Boston Celtics. This inspirational lesson in perseverance tells other hungry, young would-be coaches that even when your father is best friends with a future Hall of Famer, there's no reason at all to let that stop you from chasing your dreams.

After four seasons, Willard again surmounted mighty obstacles to break into the college game at a top-ten all time program in Louisville when his Hall of Fame mentor agreed to bring him along to the Bluegrass State.

And when the time came for him to chase his dream of being a head coach, he managed to land a coveted spot at perennial low-major power Iona, a historic proving ground for aspiring major college coaches, despite the significant handicap of a recommendation of his father's close friend, a Hall of Fame coach.
That is all true. But we were a disgrace when he took the job (and yes, he inherited a talented team, and yes, that BE was a harder league at the top). We sucked for the first few years he was our coach. He got read the riot act and for whatever reason he used questionable but legal means to get two stars to come here, and from them on we were good. Usually NCAA good, for the second time in history. PJ got there and dominated. Kevin just got there. But no one else has done what he did at SHU but PJ. That is not good enough for many posters. But it is better than every coach but PJ ever gave us.

Haley Endorsement

i dont know if you are paying attention but the trials besides Braggs nonsense case arent happening before the election

The handful of programmed 🐑 ITT get their news and formulate their beliefs through REGIME GATEKEEPERS

It’s easy to spot the duped that are brainwashed.

Democrat Donation$ finally ran out for Haley. She’s dropped out
Reactions: bac2therac

Derrick Gordon

Yeah, he was terrific. We had THREE guards and no one got hurt. (They had three guards who would become serious NBA players lol plus others like Arch)

Of all the things he did for us, one memory that sticks in my minds is the first PC game away. We were not supposed to be as good as them. But we were beating them and in a big moment. Derrick takes (oh no lol) and makes (hurray!!!!!~) a three to help seal it.
Reactions: SHUSource
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT