ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa looked pretty good…..

As much as we want to complain about the lopsided foul calls in Iowa’s favor, Iowa looked like a team with a lot of balance and another potential superstar in the younger Murray brother (who looks almost identical to the older brother). They took it to the basket at will, knocked down both mid range and behind the arc shots when they needed, and took advantage of the imbalance in FTs. Pretty solid team. I’d be surprised if they are not back in the Top 25 soon and in that top third of the B1G.

They were clearly the better team; both from a talent and coaching perspective as tough as it is to admit.

Good Things

Sucks to lose but saw some things for us to build on:

1. We actually fed the post. It has been 10+ years since we did this. It actually worked a few times where the post player didn't score but made the right pass and we either got a layup or hit the open shot. Our post players except for Tyrese looked overmatched against the Iowa frontline but it gives me hope. We saw this in the first two games and we overwhelmed those teams which was something Willard never did. During the Big East schedule this will work better along with the players getting comfortable with spacing and movement.
2. Sha will get better with rotations and which combinations of players work well together. It is obvious the team is still figuring this out
3. As roles get sorted my hope is that some players (e.g., Ndefo) start realizing they don't have to do so much. He is playing like he is still on St. Peters and has to be the leader which so far has resulted in far too many turnovers. Once the players start settling into roles I think some of these unnecessary TOs will go away
4. We didn't quit and the team fought hard for most of the game
5. I strongly suspect our defensive foul situation will work itself out during the course of the season. It seems like every year the first few games we get the heavy points of emphasis which once again are hands on a player and off the ball. By the middle of the BE season our aggressive style won't be whistled for so many fouls.
6. Yetna might return - we miss him

Things will not only get better from here I think our curve for improvement is much higher than some others. There are a lot of puzzle pieces here and I'm hopeful they will figure it out. Onwards we go.

Go to Player

I past seasons when we made the NCAA, we had a go to player like Whitehead, Powell, MAMu or Rhoden. I don't see one on this team. We also had a defensive stopper like Cale who we put on the other tams beat player. I do not see that eieter. We will go no where unless we have both. Holloway has to learn this.

Seton Hall Falls To Iowa At Prudential Center, 83-67

0M7A6842_4jqmf.jpg

Iowa Logo

Iowa 3-0,0-0 Big Ten
Seton Hall Logo

Seton Hall 2-1,0-0 Big East

Score By Periods
Team12F
Iowa344983
Seton Hall224567

Seton Hall Falls To Iowa At Prudential Center, 83-67​

Newark, N.J. — Early foul trouble plagued the Seton Hall men's basketball team in an 83-67 loss to Iowa in a Gavitt Tipoff Games contest at Prudential Center on Wednesday evening.

Junior Dre Davis (Indianapolis, Ind.) led the Pirates (2-1) in scoring with 13 points on 5-of-10 shooting from the floor. Senior Tyrese Samuel (Montreal, Quebec) nearly registered a double-double with nine points and eight rebounds in 13 minutes of action.

Iowa's Kris Murray finished with a game-high 29 points on 10-of-20 shooting from the field and seemed to respond every time the Pirates made a run. Both teams shot 85 percent from the free throw line and Iowa tallied 33 attempts at the charity stripe to Seton Hall's 13.

How It Happened

Seton Hall started the game hot as Samuel started off with four quick points and junior Kadary Richmond (Brooklyn, N.Y.) nailed three-point basket that gave the Pirates a 10-2 lead. A layup by Murray with 12:26 to play in the first half tied up the score at 13-13 and, following a defensive stop hit a three-pointer, that gave the Hawkeyes their first lead of the game, 16-13.

Trailing by 12 at halftime, 34-22, the Pirates used a 6-0 run at the start of the second half, capped off by a fast break layup by junior Femi Odukale (Brooklyn, N.Y.), that made it 34-28, forcing Iowa to call a timeout. With The Hall trailing by 11 with 15:22 to go, back-to-back treys by Davis and Harris cut the deficit to five, 46-41, with 13:41 to play before a layup by Murray pushed the Iowa lead back to seven.

The Pirates were down 10 at the 10:35 mark but refused to go away as a three by senior Al-Amir Dawes (Newark, N.J.) and a layup by Davis once against trimmed Iowa's lead to five, 55-50, with 9:36 to play. However, trading baskets with Iowa proved to be dangerous as the Hawkeyes eventually pulled away with the 83-67 victory.

Inside The Numbers

• Seton Hall attempted 13 free throws to Iowa's 33.
  • Both teams shot 85 percent from the free throw line.
  • Iowa won the turnover battle, forcing 16 Pirates miscues to their eight.
  • The Hawkeyes shot 31 percent from three-point range (5-of-16) and Seton Hall shot 36 percent from distance (8-of-22).
  • Pirates finished plus-two on the boards and had the upperhand on the offensive glass, 18-13.
News & Notes

• The loss snaps Seton Hall's 13-game non-conference winning streak at Prudential Center dating back to Nov. 14, 2019.
  • The Pirates are now 82-12 all-time at Prudential Center.
  • Seton Hall falls to 1-2 all-time against Iowa and 3-3 all-time against teams in the Gavitt Games.
  • Dawes is now four points shy of 900 for his career.
Up Next

The Pirates will welcome Wagner to Prudential Center on Sunday, Nov. 20, for a 3 p.m. contest. The game will air on FS1 and Gary Cohen and Dave Popkin will have the call on the SHU Pirates mobile app, SHUPirates.com, Varsity mobile app and SiriusXM 989 on the app.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT