ADVERTISEMENT

Trove tidbits

Jaden Daly on Holloway's staff, Tony Bozzella, the Big East and more​

BY JP Pelzman

J.P. Pelzman: In terms of assistants, what does Rasheen Davis bring to the table? I know Sha has a lot of trust in him.

Jaden Daly: I've known Rasheen Davis for almost 10 years, since he was with Steve Masiello at Manhattan. He's a man who builds relationships. He will get to know you and your family before he pays attention to what your game is like and how you are on the floor. That is going to make him an elite recruiter at this level. Rasheen Davis is going to be someone who is going to have Seton Hall in play for a lot of top 100, top 200 prospects just because of his ability to connect with young men.

It's almost at the level of Sha’s ability to connect with these young men. He will take an interest in you and what you’re interested in and use that to help evaluate what he’s looking for on and off the floor. His ability to build relationships is something that Seton Hall hasn’t had on staff for a long time. I really can’t remember an assistant that Kevin (Willard) had, other than Sha, that was as good with that. Rasheen is going to be for Sha what Sha was for Kevin. I really believe that.

Richmond Tabbed To Preseason All-BIG EAST Second Team

BO0A9251.jpg

Pirates picked seventh in the BIG EAST preseason poll​

NEW YORK - Seton Hall men's basketball junior guard Kadary Richmond (Brooklyn, N.Y.) has been named to the BIG EAST Preseason All-Conference Second Team, the BIG EAST Conference announced at its annual media day on Tuesday.

The preseason order of finish, according to a coaches vote, was also unveiled Tuesday, and the Pirates have been picked to finish seventh. The last time The Hall was slotted seventh in the preseason poll was 2015-16. The Pirates would go on to win the BIG EAST Tournament at Madison Square Garden in March of that season.

A long, rangy point guard, Richmond is coming off of a solid sophomore campaign in his first season with the Pirates where he averaged 8.8 points, 3.6 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.7 steals per game. He finished fourth in the conference in assists per contest and fifth in steals. Richmond battled through injuries during conference play and helped lead the Pirates to their fifth NCAA Tournament appearance in the last six contested.

Richmond posted one of the top single-game performances in the BIG EAST last season when he dropped a career-high 27 points on 10-of-13 shooting from the field in a 90-87 victory over Connecticut on Jan. 8 at Prudential Center. 25 of Richmond's 27 points were scored in the second half, including a stretch where he alone outscored the Huskies, 17-7.

Led by head coach Shaheen Holloway '00, who returned to his alma mater in March after leading Saint Peter's to the 2022 NCAA Tournament Elite Eight, Seton Hall boasts a wealth of experience on the roster with five returning Pirates from last season and five transfers that combine for 13 years of Div. I basketball experience. In total, this veteran Seton Hall team has appeared in 775 career collegiate games and combined for 6,019 points, 2,971 rebounds and 1,072 assists.

The Pirates, which have finished in the top half of the BIG EAST standings in each of the last seven seasons, are coming off a fifth NCAA Tournament appearance in the last six contested.

Single-game tickets for the 2022-23 Seton Hall men's basketball season at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., are on sale now through Ticketmaster. Single-game prices start at $30 with 15 games to choose from, including Seton Hall's annual matchups against BIG EAST foes Providence (Dec. 17), St. John's (Dec. 31), Connecticut (Jan. 18), Marquette (Jan. 21), Xavier (Feb. 24) and Villanova (Feb. 28) as well as the Gavitt Tip-Off Games contest against Iowa on Nov. 16.

The full schedule features a wide variety of options that offer all Pirates fans the opportunity to visit The Rock and cheer on The Hall, including seven weekend games and five weeknight games that start at 7 p.m., or earlier.

Season tickets, which start at just $195 per seat plus a $60 Priority Seat Premium, and a six-game mini-plan, which starts at $240 per seat, are also available through the Seton Hall ticket office. Current Seton Hall basketball season ticket holders can also purchase discounted single-game tickets to all games by calling the ticket office at (973) 275-4255.

AP Preseason Top 25

First-place votes in parentheses:

1. North Carolina (47)
2. Gonzaga (12)
3. Houston (1)
4. Kentucky (2)
5. Kansas
5. Baylor
7. Duke
8. UCLA
9. Creighton
10. Arkansas
11. Tennessee
12. Texas
13. Indiana
14. TCU
15. Auburn
16. Villanova
17. Arizona
18. Virginia
19. San Diego St.
20. Alabama
21. Oregon
22. Michigan
23. Illinois
24. Dayton
25. Texas Tech

Park-Lane, Cooks Named to Preseason All-BIG EAST Team

Preseason_All-BIG_EAST_zRLkn.jpg

Park-Lane was one of only four unanimous selections.​

NEW YORK – Seton Hall women's basketball graduate student Sidney Cooks (Kenosha, Wis.) and senior Lauren Park-Lane (Wilmington, Del.) were named to the Preseason All-BIG EAST Team on Tuesday during the conference's annual media day.

Named to the All-BIG EAST First Team, Cooks was everything the Pirates had hoped she would be in her first year in South Orange. Named BIG EAST Player of the Week on Dec. 27, and to the Weekly Honor Roll on Feb. 28, she ranked sixth in the BIG EAST with 15.9 points per game, fourth with 7.9 rebounds per game and fourth with 1.5 blocks in 30.7 minutes per game. Cooks topped 20 points in a single-game eight times, and 30 points twice including a career-high 35-point outburst against Butler on Feb. 22. Twice Cooks made 15 field goals in a game, which tied the program record for a single-game. Her seven blocks against DePaul on Jan. 30 are the second-most ever for a Pirate and the most since former Pirate Kelley Moore blocked seven against Pittsburgh on Jan. 8, 1990. She was named to the WNIT All-Tournament Team.

Named All-Met Division I Player of the Year, Park-Lane was a unanimous selection to the All-BIG EAST First Team and earned Nancy Lieberman National Point Guard of the Year Watch List recognition. Park-Lane finished third in the BIG EAST in scoring with 18.3 points per game and set Seton Hall's single-season points record. As a playmaker, she led the nation in total assists and set Seton Hall records for assists in a season (260) and in a single-game (18). Her 152 assists in BIG EAST play set a new conference mark. Named to both the BIG EAST and WNIT All-Tournament Teams, Park-Lane averaged 21.3 points and 5.6 assists per contest in nine postseason games. Named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll seven times, she also led the nation with 1,420 minutes played and 38.4 minutes per game. This is Park-Lane's second straight placement on the Preseason All-BIG EAST Team. She was one of only four unanimous selections this year.

BIG EAST Women's Basketball Preseason Player of the Year
Maddy Siegrist, Villanova, Sr., F*

BIG EAST Women's Basketball Preseason Freshman of the Year
Ayanna Patterson, UConn, Fr., F

Preseason All-BIG EAST Team ^
Caroline Ducharme, UConn, So., G
Aaliyah Edwards, UConn, Jr., F
Azzi Fudd, UConn, So., G *
Lauren Jensen, Creighton, Jr., G
Emma Ronsiek, Creighton, Jr., F *
Aneesah Morrow, DePaul, So., F *
Jordan King, Marquette, Sr., G
Janai Crooms, Providence, Sr., G
Kadaja Bailey, St. John's, Fifth Year, G
SIDNEY COOKS, SETON HALL, Grad., F/C
LAUREN PARK-LANE, SETON HALL, Sr., G *

Preseason Honorable Mention
Dorka Juhász, UConn, Grad., F
Morgan Maly, Creighton, Jr., G/F

*unanimous selection
^ extra player added due to a tie in voting

PLEASE READ

An NIL is possibly being set up for Saturday Oct 15 after the men's open practice at Walsh. It will depend on availability and cost of a restaurant in the South Orange Village area. I am working on that right now.

If the price is right and we get enough people to attend, with the help of Eric all the team members (minus Samuel, Yetna and Ndiaye) will appear for 2 hours to sign autographs and talk to everyone in attendance.

The cost will be $100.00 per person. That will include piazza along with the access to the players. There will also be a cash bar for drinks.

100% of the money earned minus the cost of the restaurant will go to the players. Neither Eric or I will charge for our services.

For this to happen we need at the very least 50 people, but would want many more. Meaning I need to know who here wants to be involved. And I say that asking for those that respond that they are coming to actually come and not change their minds at the last minute. To ensure that does not happen Eric will want to be paid ASAP if this event is scheduled. Details on that would be posted next week.

So many people wanted to get involved but Eric only dealt with large donors. To give you an idea how large, my donation of $1,000.00 was the smallest he secured. That now changes if we can get enough posters here plus others that are being informed of this event to attend.

Please reply on this thread if you are definitely interested. And if you're not sure then please do not reply.

PLEASE READ

An NIL is possibly being set up for Saturday Oct 15 after the men's open practice at Walsh. It will depend on availability and cost of a restaurant in the South Orange Village area. I am working on that right now.

If the price is right and we get enough people to attend, with the help of Eric all the team members (minus Samuel, Yetna and Ndiaye) will appear for 2 hours to sign autographs and talk to everyone in attendance.

The cost will be $100.00 per person. That will include piazza along with the access to the players. There will also be a cash bar for drinks.

100% of the money earned minus the cost of the restaurant will go to the players. Neither Eric or I will charge for our services.

For this to happen we need at the very least 50 people, but would want many more. Meaning I need to know who here wants to be involved. And I say that asking for those that respond that they are coming to actually come and not change their minds at the last minute. To ensure that does not happen Eric will want to be paid ASAP if this event is scheduled. Details on that would be posted next week.

So many people wanted to get involved but Eric only dealt with large donors. To give you an idea how large, my donation of $1,000.00 was the smallest he secured. That now changes if we can get enough posters here plus others that are being informed of this event to attend.

Please reply on this thread if you are definitely interested. And if you're not sure then please do not reply.

'Bunny-Up'

Bunny: An open, uncontested shot, usually a layup, put-back or dunk.

This past Saturday HallDan hosted an event at Bunny’s with the men’s basketball team to give Seton Hall fans the opportunity to be a part of supporting an NIL with 100% of the proceeds going to its players. It was a highly successful event as everyone who contributed, even the smallest amount, did so out of their love for Seton Hall.

I was touched to meet a fan who lost his job and couldn’t afford much but still wanted to contribute $100 so that he could be a part of it. There were retirees and young people who were barely beginning their working careers. There were kids with star-struck happy faces and players graciously taking pictures and signing autographs.

Saturday was a truly a magnificent day for the Seton Hall Community and the Seton Hall campus was a lively festival arranged in a stunningly transformative quad area with new construction that seamlessly blends deep-rooted and contemporary architecture. A new, innovative, state of the art practice facility is on the horizon and we have a coach named Holloway who is universally loved by the fan base, a favored son who promotes heart, hustle and a bright future.

When you hear about BIG schools with BIG campus buildings making BIG contributions to NIL, it’s so good to see Seton Hall’s grassroots level campaign at work making small (Bunny) contributions from our passionate fan base. This will surely lead to larger involvement from those who can contribute major money.

I say cheers to HallDan who has mentioned doing this on an annual basis. I think it’s a ‘Slam Dunk’ a ‘Bunny’. Small contributors make the BIGGEST impact.

‘Bunny-Up’ Go PIRATES!!!

Big East expert picks 2022-23: Bold predictions, most overrated and underrated teams, top players

Creighton's the favorite, Jay Wright's no longer at Nova, and three more huge coaching changes set up a competitive chase in the Big East​

By Matt Norlander

University Center

The pearl of the school's campus, the University Center, is now a month away from being completed. The scheduled date is the first week in November.

Those going to Seton Hall Weekend Oct 15th give it a look. I saw it last a year ago and even then under heavy construction it was awesome.

Go early and then after the men's practice (preceded by the women's practice) join us at Bunny's.....

https://setonhall.forums.rivals.com/threads/please-read.57784/
Reactions: Piratz

Huerman's 90th Minute Penalty Kick Earns Pirates 1-1 Draw Against Creighton

QuenziH_XFaed.png

Creighton Logo

Creighton (4-3-5, 1-2-3)
Seton Hall Logo

Seton Hall (6-1-6, 3-0-4)

Score By Periods
Team12F
Creighton011
Seton Hall011

South Orange, N.J. – The Pirates remained tied atop the BIG EAST standings on Saturday afternoon as they played Creighton to a 1-1 draw at Owen T. Carroll Field. Quenzi Huerman (Vannes, France) scored the equalizing penalty kick goal in the 90th minute to earn The Hall a point.

How it Happened
The match played out evenly in more areas than just the final score, as neither side was able to tilt the pitch in its favor for long. The first real threat of the match came in the 11th minute, as Mattias Almeida Sundell (Sweden) struck one towards goal that was saved by Creighton goalkeeper Paul Kruse.

Physicality was paramount throughout the full 90 minutes as well, as the teams combined for 30 fouls and eight yellow cards.

Later in the opening half, Luca Dahn (Kahl, Germany) had a great look at goal off a corner kick swung in by Johannes Pex (Stephansposching, Germany). Dahn's header was aimed towards the near post, but went just wide of the mark.

Login to view embedded media

In the 74th minute, Creighton was able to break through with the game's first goal. Diego Dutilh sent a cross in from just before the end line, where it was deflected in by Alfie Pope to give the Bluejays a 1-0 lead.

From there, the Pirates went into attack mode to find an equalizer. In what was likely their last gasp, the Pirates were awarded a corner kick in the 90th minute. As Pex played the ball into the penalty area, Creighton's Miguel Ventura wrestled Konstantin Donalies (Bremen, Germany) to the turf, prompting a penalty to be called. Huerman was tasked with taking the penalty kick, and he calmly stepped up and buried the equalizing goal.

Login to view embedded media

News & Notes
  • This is the Pirates' sixth draw of the season, setting a new program single-season record.
  • The Pirates have scored five game-tying/go-ahead goals in the 70th minute or later this season.
  • Huerman's goal marks the second time this season that the Pirates have scored a game-tying penalty kick goal in the 90th minute.
  • Huerman has scored in back-to-back matches for the second time this season, and now has recorded points in nine of his 13 appearances this year.
  • With the point, the Pirates are in a three-way tie atop the BIG EAST standings with Georgetown and Xavier.
Up Next
The Pirates head to Washington, D.C. for a first-place showdown against Georgetown at 2 p.m.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT