ADVERTISEMENT

NY Giants something happening here?

I know it’s very early but here’s what I’m seeing.
1. Nobody’s job is safe nor should it be.
2. Guys who have been stinking up the joint no matter how much they are making may need a new team.
3. Guys catching balls and scoring TD’s. wow what a concept. I don’t care whose name is on the back of the Jersey if they can score.
4. Webb is putting Jones on notice. I know he was not playing against the first team but the guy gets rid of the ball and wants to win the game. If Jones doesn’t wake up Webb will be playing this year maybe sooner than we think.
5. Feel like we have some players ready to jump in and make some plays. Opportunity opens the door for success.
6. Most years winning preseason games is no big deal but for the current Giants need to see what winning feels like.

Cautiously optimistic right now that maybe the mindset on the team is changing.

August Tidbits

NFL info

NFL VALUATIONS (Per Sportico)​

1) Dallas Cowboys $7.64B
2) Los Angeles Rams $5.91B
3) New England Patriots $5.88B
4) New York Giants $5.73B
5) San Francisco 49ers $5.18B
6) Chicago Bears $5B
7) New York Jets $4.8B
8) Washington Commanders $4.78B
9) Philadelphia Eagles $4.7B
10) Denver Broncos $4.65B
11) Houston Texans $4.63B
12) Seattle Seahawks $4.385B
13) Pittsburgh Steelers $4.26B
14) Green Bay Packers $4.19B
15) Las Vegas Raiders $4.08B
16) Miami Dolphins $4.06B
17) Atlanta Falcons $3.88B
18) Minnesota Vikings $3.72B
19) Los Angeles Chargers $3.62B
20) Kansas City Chiefs $3.54B
21) Baltimore Ravens $3.435B
22) Carolina Panthers $3.36B
23) Tennessee Titans $3.29B
24) Tampa Bay Buccaneers $3.28B
25) New Orleans Saints $3.26B
26) Indianapolis Colts $3.245B
27) Cleveland Browns $3.18B
28) Arizona Cardinals $3.165B
29) Buffalo Bills $2.99B
30) Jacksonville Jaguars $2.94B
31) Detroit Lions $2.86B
32) Cincinnati Bengals $2.84B
LEAGUE AVERAGE $4.14B

Manti Te'o documentary

Check out the Netflix documentary "Untold" series on Manti Te'o "girlfriend who didn't exist". I must admit when news first broke 10 years ago I thought Manti was either complicit or a complete moron. The film does good job laying out the details and with this context and interviews with all the key parties, you really feel sorry for how much crap Manti had to take. His attitude even now is inspirational.

The dirtiest player in the game

Why Ric Flair faked a heart attack in front of daughter in final match​

By Ryan Glasspiegel

The dirtiest player in the game faked a heart attack in front of his own daughter.

Ric Flair was taking part in his final wrestling match in Nashville on July 31. His son-in-law Conrad Thompson, the podcast magnate who also promoted the event, would later reveal that he “begged” Flair before the match not to do a fake heart attack spot. Nevertheless, Flair explained to The Post he felt it was necessary to preserve the pacing to the finish as he was suffering dehydration.

“I made the mistake of saying to someone in the match that I felt lightheaded, so everybody jumped way too early [toward the finish of the match], and I just said [in my head] that this was the only way to slow it down,” Flair said.

Flair has stared death in the face twice. The first time, in 1975, he was on a plane that crashed. The pilot died, and Flair suffered a broken back.

Login to view embedded media

At that point, however, Flair wasn’t thinking about death. He was worried about what would happen if he couldn’t wrestle again.

“The other one was 10 times more serious,” he said.

“The other one” was a multi-year saga. Flair had an intestinal blockage in 2015. He had an emergency appendectomy. He tried to walk out of the hospital that day.

“I was determined not to be checked in. I hate hospitals,” Flair said. “I got up, took the needles out of my arm. It was no big deal — I’ve done that before. But when I was walking out the door I got a hernia.”

During the hernia surgery, they nicked his bowel. This meant his third surgery in 11 days, the final one involving a long recovery process.

00E6C04A-FBEC-491D-8A4C-2E5A431B042F.jpeg

Ric Flair talks to Tony Schiavone after his final match.
STARRCAST

He then had what he said doctors told him was a “one in a million” occurrence of the bowel issues flaring back up, in 2019 — and it had a devastating effect.

“I was septic — they couldn’t operate on me for 48 hours,” Flair said. “I was in such pain that they put me on life support and they kept me on it for 14 days. For 31 days in ICU, I couldn’t walk. I had no memory. I couldn’t even open a can of Diet Coke. With 31 more days of rehab, learning how to walk again, I finally headed home.”

During the time in which he thought he might die, he called everybody he cared about, including those he might have had “beef” with, and told them how much he loved them.

It took two years after leaving the hospital for him to be what he considered “halfway normal.” A year and change after that, he wrestled, at the age of 73.

While the match was critically acclaimed — justifiably graded on a curve — Flair feels that his performance lagged due to dehydration he suffered, and he did not get closure from it.

Flair is a perfectionist about accomplishing the goals he sets for himself. For example, he was “fixated” on dropping nearly 30 pounds to get down to 218, and did it.

The Nature Boy — whose cannabis collaboration with Mike Tyson’s “Tyson 2.0” launches in October — had a few beers out in Nashville the night before, but he went to bed early. He woke up before dawn, had egg whites and coffee, and didn’t eat anything else the rest of the day. This, combined with the performance anxiety he had about performing in front of 9,000 people, led him to be dehydrated.

“I just ran out of fluid,” Flair said. “I didn’t get tired or anything. I was doing 500 free squats in 12 minutes. Find someone my age who can do that, or what I was doing on the stationary bike. Even 50.”

The dehydration caused Flair to get “lost” during the match. This brings us to the fake heart attack right in front of his daughter Megan, which Flair wants to set the record straight about — it was an audible on his part, not a scripted part of the match.

“I did that on my own,” Flair said. “I told the referee [to tell] Jeff Jarrett to slow down. Boom, bring it back down and lay the rest of the match out. And we did that. That was an audible to get everybody back on the same track — slow down, I’m fine. It was not the plan. It was not in good taste. I realize that. It was the only thing that was going to keep everybody from going right to the finish.”
Reactions: BabyBlue

Trove recruiting tidbit

Colin Rajala is writing a long detailed 3 part interview with Rivals national recruiting expert Rob Cassidy for the Trove.

I am only going to bring one tidbit here from the 3 parter......

..............Trove: Exactly. Now, it seems like Holloway is going to continue his approach of having multiple ballhandlers on the floor at the same time and having his guys play as hard as possible until they can’t play at his level before subbing them out for some fresh legs. With that type of style, you need depth and it seems like the staff has been involved with a lot of guards and wings. One of the first names that comes to my mind is Aaron Clark. He was a guy that seemed like a strong SHU-lean back when Willard was recruiting him and it doesn’t seem like much has changed in terms of his interest in attending Seton Hall. What do you think about his game and his chances of wearing Pirate Blue one day?

Cassidy: I like Aaron’s game a lot. He can do a lot for a team; he handles the ball really well. He's turned into a better shooter. He's not going to shoot the lights out of the gym, but he’s a guy you don’t want to give too much space too. Maybe the most important thing with him is if they do land him, and I think they have a good chance, is he plays with the NJ Scholars program. They are loaded, D.J. Wagner plays for them and Mackenzie Mgbako and some other high-end guys. There is something to that program where if you can get in there with a guy like Clark now, then the success does follow and then the next thing you know you’re in play for some of these dudes in the 2025 class that they have coming up, which is absolutely loaded.

Basketball recruiting works more like that than football recruiting does. You know how it is, it's shoe company dominated and then its dominated by relationships, both player and coach relationships and player and player relationships. Aaron is kind of a bell cow, in a sense, at a place like that. You get a guy like him in the fold and the next thing you know it kind of compounds.

More Trove tidbits

From JP's second of a 3 part interview with John Fanta

JPP: What does he need to be successful in his first season back at The Hall?

JF: So what he needs to do is, first and foremost, he needs to stay true to himself, which I don’t think he’s going to have any issues doing.

In a way, this is like getting promoted to a different job. Sometimes when you have dinner with the boss, you clean yourself up a little bit more, you’re a little tighter than you would be just grabbing a cocktail with your colleagues. He's got to be true to himself and I have full confidence that he will be. But you don’t want to walk onto this stage and try to be somebody that you weren’t at Saint Peter’s. I don’t think that’s going to be the case.

Fans can get caught up in the buzz, the hype machine. I don’t think he gets rattled by that or else he wouldn’t have made it to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament.

What does this team need to do? They've got to find a way to mesh. They've got to get enough guard play. Now, Kadary Richmond was a roller-coaster ride last season, but when he was at his best, like he was down the stretch at Xavier last season, like he was against UConn at home, he can be an elite guard. Because his handle, his ability to make things happen for others is as good as anybody in the Big East in terms of creativity. He's such a creative player.

This is a team that needs to see guys increase their efficiency level, increase their consistency level. Tyrese Samuel, can he package his best together? Tray Jackson, what does he do this season? Is he a guy that shows up once every three or four games? This is a team that needs transfers to provide scoring and physicality. Somebody asked me if KC Ndefo can play in the Big East? Yes, because KC Ndefo is not afraid. He's got to help in the physicality department.

I think Femi Odukale from Pitt ...........................

BE Next Season

Now that the dust has mostly settled, here's how I see the BE in tiers. I don't really see the BE being much of a national player (I only see Creighton as Top 25 pre-season) but inside the conference has gotten tougher.

My take on the BE next season (tiers in alphabetical order):

Tier 1 = Creighton

Tier 2 = Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova, Xavier, UCONN

Tier 3 = Butler, DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette. St. John's

April tidbits

Yesterday was not a press conference. It was more like a coronation. Shaheen Holloway, Seton Hall's favorite son, or like Kevin Marino said on the dais the "Real Deal" has come home.

I have been to many of these press conferences, with one being Kevin Willard's. That was was almost antiseptic. Boring with polite applause at times.

Not yesterday. the setting was almost electric. 7 standing ovations for Sha as he spoke. How do I know? Well Harty9, tact and I sat in the media area (snuck them in) and right next to us was Bruce Beck who was counting and just as impressed as everyone else in the gym.

I have not yet seen the video, but I hope in some small way it captured the emotions of the event.

In short I expected a lot. But not the overwhelming love that permeated Walsh all day long.

Odd and ends to follow

Canada....

What is going on up there?

The Freedom Convoy has been a peaceful protest with only a handful of minor arrests (one of which was a driver trying to stop police from taking fuel off his truck). No one is burning down or vandalizing buildings, looting, attacking citizens, etc. Somehow Trudeau is trying to blame this on the U.S. since it was reported that someone was waving a Confederate Flag.. What does that flag even mean to a Canadian? They are calling on Child Welfare to investigate the number of children that are in the cabs of some of the trucks....like maybe it's the truckers family??? Now Trudeau wants to put guidelines on social media communication. I'm sure he'll blame Trump pretty soon.

Looks like a peaceful protest of government over-reach. Stopping traffic and beeping their horns non-stop...Oh, the humanity!!! Even the peaceful Canadians are fed up with it.

Best bets for Xavier vs. Seton Hall

Login to view embedded media

Before Seton Hall and Big East foe Xavier do battle in a conference matchup, Charlie DiSturco of The Action Network is here to give you his best bet (video above).

The Musketeers enter Wednesday night’s matchup in fifth place in the conference while the Pirates arrive in seventh place only a game behind Xavier.

But DiSturco believes Seton Hall to be a worthy favorite at home and is targeting its spread (-3) for the contest.

“Xavier has struggled of late,” DiSturco says. “This is a team that has constantly found itself in big holes in the first half and [are] forced to claw themselves back in the second.”

On the flip-side, Seton Hall possesses a top-20 two-point defense and has the size down low to give the Musketeers problems.

DiSturco believes the presence of Ike Obiagu, who averages nearly three blocks a game, will help limit Xavier’s offense and give the Pirates a much-needed win to increase their chances at a NCAA Tournament bid.

Buy your college-themed face covering to help protect from COVID-19

https://www.nj.com/sports/2020/05/c...e-covering-to-help-protect-from-covid-19.html

242HWM4YWFF3PEK7OIKUMYQWRM.jpg

FOCO is selling college-themed gaiter scarves.

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Almost four million people around the world have been diagnosed with the coronavirus, including more than 1.2 million in the U.S., making a face mask a must-have if you need to venture outside your front door during the pandemic.

Now you can show your school pride while playing it safe. FOCO is selling a line of gaiter scarves which can be used as face coverings. They are selling online for $13 apiece.

The site lists more than 100 scarves for sale, including Seton Hall. However Rutgers surprisingly did not make the cut.

All of the major professional sports leagues are selling face masks as well.

Major League Baseball became the latest to join the crowd this week, launching a line of face coverings, which are available at Fanatics. A three-pack costs $24.99. You can also buy one for $14.99.

Fanatics also sells NBA, NFL, NHL, MLS and WNBA-themed-face masks.

Fanatics warns that “the face coverings are made of cloth and aren’t medical-grade, but officials say wearing facial coverings will help curb the spread of the coronavirus.”

On Monday, the WWE announced it was launching a line of wrestler-themed face masks, which are available at shop.wwe.com.

Seems Like Donald Trump Jr admitted to looking for Russian Info

In a very odd and two separate statements by Don Jr, about admitting meeting to a Russian lawyer. At first, the story was that this meeting was about Russian adoption. However, his second statement which clarified the first statement, he admitted on taking a meeting in June 2016 with an unknown Russian lawyer about damaging information about Hillary Clinton. When the lawyer did not have any credible information, the lawyer turned the conversation to Russian adoption. At that point Don Jr ends the meeting because she did not have good info. Also, Don Jr brought Manafort and Kushner to the meeting.

As early as June 2016, the Trump campaign is seeking information on Clinton from the Russians. There is a bad smell coming from the White House.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT