ADVERTISEMENT

2013 national title at risk as Louisville to appeal NCAA penalties

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...s-coach-rick-pitino-suspended-five-games-ncaa

2013 national title at risk as Louisville to appeal NCAA penalties

• i

Myron MedcalfESPN Staff Writer
Louisville could lose its 2013 NCAA title, and Cardinals coach Rick Pitino will be suspended for the first five ACC games in 2017-18 for failing to monitor his program during an alleged sex-for-pay scandal, the Division I Committee on Infractions announced Thursday.

Louisville announced it will appeal the ruling.

The NCAA decision opens the strong possibility that Louisville could lose its 2012-13 national championship after the committee issued "a vacation of basketball records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible from December 2010 and July 2014." The NCAA said the school must provide a list of games impacted by the decision within 45 days, and if ineligible players participated, the school could have to remove its banner and erase the title from its record books.

To date, no national championship has ever been vacated in men's Division I basketball (only Final Four appearances), according to ESPN Stats & Information.

In addition, the program will be on probation for four years. The Cardinals also will face scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions, a $5,000 fine and the forfeiture of any money received though conference revenue sharing from the 2012-15 NCAA tournaments.

The committee also accepted Louisville's self-imposed postseason ban from the 2015-16 season.

Chuck Smrt, the former NCAA enforcement director who is now leading Louisville's defense against the committee's charges, said 108 regular-season games and 15 NCAA tournament wins could be vacated as a result of the NCAA's decision, but he reiterated the school's plans to appeal.

"For 35-some-odd years I've had a lot of faith in the NCAA and have reacted that way accordingly as a head basketball coach in the belief of their rules," Pitino said Thursday during the school's news conference. "Not only is it unjust ... over-the-top severe, but personally I've lost a lot of faith in the NCAA that I've had over the last 35 years with what they just did.

"I'm gonna put all my faith in the appeals committee that they will do the right thing. ... We believe we will win the appeal because it is right, it is just. What went on [the NCAA's ruling] was unjust, inconceivable."

The NCAA ruled that Pitino "violated NCAA head coach responsibility rules" by failing to monitor the activities of former assistant Andre McGee, who is alleged to have hired strippers to entertain players and recruits.

Powell and McGee will not be criminally charged after a grand jury in Jefferson County, Kentucky, declined to return an indictment against either because of the lack of sufficient credible evidence.

"Today should mark the end of this process for everyone involved," Wilder said Thursday. "The NCAA has spoken, and it would seem that it's time to learn from these events and move on."

ESPN reporter John Barr and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Slick rick should ask slick Willy to help him with this appeal after all slick Willy beat the impeachment for perjury rap even though it was proved he committed perjury.

What's the point of a $5k penalty? That's like fining me 13¢. It serves no purpose as a penalty.

Last edited:
Someone remind me; who did pay for the strippers and prostitutes? If they were officially part of Pitino's staff; he's responsible. If not, I can somewhat see his point.

Someone remind me; who did pay for the strippers and prostitutes? If they were officially part of Pitino's staff; he's responsible. If not, I can somewhat see his point.
The guy got a 10 year show cause but no ncaa program will ever touch him

Ok, that's pretty bad. Not sure if Louisville deserves to have a Championship vacated, but an example should be made of Pitino to at least show an example of what will happen if you don't get into the nitty gritty of what's going on in your program.

People who hate Pitino are sure enjoying this. I am no fan of the guy myself. But it's interesting that the NCAA --and two other investigations--failed to come up with actual evidence that Pitino knew about this. Clearly Pitino's history has not earned him the benefit of the doubt and he has no one to blame but himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT