ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 Equality Games

This is all assuming the Big East will be better in 2025 than 2024, which was considered a down year. I am not seeing a scenario where I'd consider the Big East "up" or better in 2025 than 2024 across the board. I think if SHU has the same record in Big East in 2025 that they did in 2024 that won't be enough. Yes some of the teams will be ranked but I'm not sure there is a whole lot of top 25 NET Big East teams.
You hate to say it but SHU has to go 2-1 at Charleston minimum and Win at Rutgers otherwise they have to play like .700 ball in the Big East otherwise it's basically the same situation as 2024. It sounds outrageous but the map has basically been set.
The other problem is there may not be a UConn-type game in Big East for SHU to play (and win) as they did in 2024, which made them be strong bubble team to begin with and was an anchor on their NET numbers.
I think we'd all be impressed if UConn was again at that level, but have to realistic. Is Marquette that game this year? Creighton going to be better than 2024?
Maybe the bottom of the league will be better, so that's a plus, but I'm not sure there are a couple of "whales" that will be lynchpin-type wins should SHU get them in the league that carry a resume that is slightly better than .500 in Big East.
The league should have more balance. St. John’s and Xavier will be vastly improved. I don’t think the 3 from last year will be as good with Marquette falling further back than Connecticut or Creighton, but still good enough and the middle will be better.

Get 2 quality non-con wins and 10-11 BE wins and you’re in position. Do more than that and you avoid the last-4 danger zone that burnt us last year with the Championship Week craziness.

Last year was bipolar with the horrific non-con resume but excellent 13-7 BE that almost got us in.

Our metrics were not great cause we played 4 p5 teams - 3 we could have beat - and we lost them all. 3-1, 2-2 and we are in. 4 wins anywhere in there place and we are in. I dont disagree that making it true away game has merit.

Our metrics were not great cause we played 4 p5 teams - 3 we could have beat - and we lost them all. 3-1, 2-2 and we are in. 4 wins anywhere in there place and we are in. I dont disagree that making it true away game has merit.
Slight correction -- we were 1-4 against P5 teams. One can be forgiven that they don't consider Missouri to be as they were that bad.

Win one of those four and we're probably in. Beating either RU or USC not only removes a blemish from our resume but is automatically our best OOC win. Get both of them and we certainly would have been in.

The underlying point is to win games and beat a couple of solid teams in the non-conference. If you're in the hunt at tournament time, it's a given that you have a half-dozen solid league wins under your belt.

Reactions: Piratz
Slight correction -- we were 1-4 against P5 teams. One can be forgiven that they don't consider Missouri to be as they were that bad.

Win one of those four and we're probably in. Beating either RU or USC not only removes a blemish from our resume but is automatically our best OOC win. Get both of them and we certainly would have been in.

The underlying point is to win games and beat a couple of solid teams in the non-conference. If you're in the hunt at tournament time, it's a given that you have a half-dozen solid league wins under your belt.
Plus there was the perfect storm of bid-stealers last year, which really doesn't happen to that extent that often at all.
If we match last year, while not an absolute lock, I think absent another crazy bid-stealer year...we are in. Especially if we can avoid any "bad losses" in the OOC and take care of business. I don't think we would need 13 BE wins....but we would need the "right" 11 or 12 Conf wins

Yes, and imo, we win 4 150-200 net games in their place and we are in.

I’m with @Piratz and @SOBO1 here.

We have to throw out that macho man “I’ll play anyone anywhere” bravado and even throw out the good sportsmanship in terms of not running up the score. You need to schedule smart and run up scores, bottomline. Otherwise you will be on the outside looking in if your are on or near the bumble which is where are almost every offseason.

This game doesn’t make sense from the outside but maybe there is stuff under the table, NIL, future considerations, that we are not prevy too.

Yes, and imo, we win 4 150-200 net games in their place and we are in.
Wins are always better than losses but IMO taking away our four best OOC opponents and weakening an already mediocre non-conference schedule doesn't appreciably improve our standing.

As pointed out above, in almost any normal year we would have been in. Last year was a perfect storm of bad luck. Literally anything that could have gone wrong for us did during the conference tournaments.

Strip NET/Kenpom rankings from our resume and compare against the rest of the field. Our resume was on par with 8/9 seeds. We were safely in the field, but because NET is used as a ranking tool (not a selection tool) we were near the bottom of the at larges. We have the identical resume (in terms of wins losses) but with a significantly better NET we would have been 8-10 seed.

It's a new age in so many ways. This old school thinking of letting off the gas, or anywhere any place is just not the way to go about scheduling in 2024. It's not what we grew up on, but it is what it is.

Reactions: sami
Strip NET/Kenpom rankings from our resume and compare against the rest of the field. Our resume was on par with 8/9 seeds. We were safely in the field, but because NET is used as a ranking tool (not a selection tool) we were near the bottom of the at larges. We have the identical resume (in terms of wins losses) but with a significantly better NET we would have been 8-10 seed.

It's a new age in so many ways. This old school thinking of letting off the gas, or anywhere any place is just not the way to go about scheduling in 2024. It's not what we grew up on, but it is what it is.
Well said. The real way to phrase it is it's now MORE about NET manipulation. Like a good accountant. And this game vs Hofstra is an indication that SHU does not have an accountant that would do a maximum job of hiding assets from ex-wife in divorce proceeding. Sadly, SHU would possibly even lose the family dog.

Well said. The real way to phrase it is it's now MORE about NET manipulation. Like a good accountant. And this game vs Hofstra is an indication that SHU does not have an accountant that would do a maximum job of hiding assets from ex-wife in divorce proceeding. Sadly, SHU would possibly even lose the family dog.
Again, you are disregarding the many, many elements of scheduling that are beyond your own control and dependent on others, such as opponents, opponents opponents, arena availability and TV networks.

The accountant is a great analogy. You could have identical teams (i.e. incomes) but have two entirely different NETs (i.e. tax liability) based on how strategically you schedule.

Again, you are disregarding the many, many elements of scheduling that are beyond your own control and dependent on others, such as opponents, opponents opponents, arena availability and TV networks.
Scheduling is difficult. That is without question, but it's disingenuous to suggest the only option available to us is a Q3 neutral site game across the street from the opponent's campus. There are multiple programs still trying to finalize their schedules.

Reactions: sami
Just a hunch but I think this has less to do with NET and strategic scheduling and more to do with Sha’s choice to celebrate the contributions of the great Black coaches that paved the way for him and others.

The website has little to no information as to how this game will be promoted or whether there are any other games lined up. If they’re serious about promoting this, gotta figure Florida State (Leonard Hamilton) and Georgetown (Ed Cooley) need to be a part of it.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
You can manipulate the schedule however you want but bottom line is you need to perform and win. You need to avoid 15 point losses. Just go out and take care of business whether it’s in their building, 3 feet from their home building or 3,000 miles from their home building.

Wins are always better than losses but IMO taking away our four best OOC opponents and weakening an already mediocre non-conference schedule doesn't appreciably improve our standing.

As pointed out above, in almost any normal year we would have been in. Last year was a perfect storm of bad luck. Literally anything that could have gone wrong for us did during the conference tournaments.
And most everyone thinks we got screwed.

Cause we did. But with 4 more wins, nfw.

Our ooc record last year was an embarrassment. Mizzou win doesn’t count, we lose to a bad Rutgers team at home and got spanked against the other major teams.

Our ooc record last year was an embarrassment. Mizzou win doesn’t count, we lose to a bad Rutgers team at home and got spanked against the other major teams.
If only those games were true road games instead of neutral sites. lol

I dont know about you guys, but after the RU game, while I wasnt waving the white flag yet, I was wondering how long I could pretend it wasnt inevitable. Then we need Dr Bill's guy Malichi to keep us from getting upset by Monmouth. How can that be followed by us thumping the defending NC?

Last edited:
And this game turns into a doubleheader. 6PM UMass vs Louisiana Tech precedes Hofstra-Seton Hall at Nassau Coliseum.
How many Piratecrewers will be in seats at 6pm to watch the first game? Will there be 600 people at tipoff at 6pm?

And this game turns into a doubleheader. 6PM UMass vs Louisiana Tech precedes Hofstra-Seton Hall at Nassau Coliseum.
How many Piratecrewers will be in seats at 6pm to watch the first game? Will there be 600 people at tipoff at 6pm?
This should be a doubleheader. There's no reason for this game to be played at Nassau or UBS otherwise.

Given there is an outside promoter involved as noted elsewhere in this thread, you had to believe this was destined to be part of at least a two-game event.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
This heard at the 44 Group Board of Directors Meeting:

Board Member 1: "To celebrate the accomplishments of the greatest Black Basketball coaches ever, how about we talk to Ed Cooley and Leonard Hamilton to see if they would be interested in having their teams participate?"

Board President: "Too obvious".

Board Member 2: "How about a game involving Temple and Arkansas, given the long history that John Chaney and Nolan Richardson had at those schools".

Board President: "Next".

Board Member 3: "How about we find two of the most non-descript college basketball teams in the country and send them to Long Island to play, let's say, just spit-balling here, UMass and Louisiana Tech?"

Board President: "Why aren't you on the phone already?!!"

This heard at the 44 Group Board of Directors Meeting:

Board Member 1: "To celebrate the accomplishments of the greatest Black Basketball coaches ever, how about we talk to Ed Cooley and Leonard Hamilton to see if they would be interested in having their teams participate?"

Board President: "Too obvious".

Board Member 2: "How about a game involving Temple and Arkansas, given the long history that John Chaney and Nolan Richardson had at those schools".

Board President: "Next".

Board Member 3: "How about we find two of the most non-descript college basketball teams in the country and send them to Long Island to play, let's say, just spit-balling here, UMass and Louisiana Tech?"

Board President: "Why aren't you on the phone already?!!"
How do you know that they didn’t try?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT