ADVERTISEMENT

5th Covid Year

SJGuy410

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2021
There is no doubt that the 5th year given has significantly changed the landscape the last few years. The extra year has driving up NIL spend, and given an advantage to team which have the older players. The physical difference between an 18 year and 24 year is massive. (see Kentucky yesterday), and it has effected March Madness.

Very interesting to see after this expires if its will help stabilize NIL spend, cure some of the portal nonsense (underclassmen wont get squeezed), and change back the competitive landscape. Or conversely nothing will change.

What does everything think? Will it help or hurt the Hall?

It will help the underclassmen who are getting squeezed but I don't see NIL prices going down anytime soon. Total Free Agency and lack of any rules combined with a desperation to win will continue to drive prices up. The cat is out of the bag.

Reactions: The Crows Nest
It’s gone next year. It only applied to those who were eligible in 2020-21. So next year is the last of it, thankfully.

Many donors will feel NIL fatigue..people work too hard for their money and they want to see results. Which is why getting donations for facilites has worked out well for many years. The promise of future benefits and better recruits. But in that case everyone knew that facility would get built. For UK fans and Nova fans seeing their money get wasted will result in donor fatigue and the same goes for other schools.

Reactions: Burnsly
Many donors will feel NIL fatigue..people work too hard for their money and they want to see results. Which is why getting donations for facilites has worked out well for many years. The promise of future benefits and better recruits. But in that case everyone knew that facility would get built. For UK fans and Nova fans seeing their money get wasted will result in donor fatigue and the same goes for other schools.
Hmm well I will take a "wait and see" approach to that.

I Still believe the schools with the large bounties are getting most of their money (70% - 90%) from large donors...and those are people for whom a million or two a year, is like 100 or 200 to most of us; doesn't really make much of an impact, especially if it is something you are passionate about.

People like Repole, UA, Nike, Steve Cohen (well at least he hasn't gotten involved yet...lol), but there are many more of these people than we ever realize. Just look at the countless Manhattan condos/etc that go for multi million dollars...and are fairly well spoken for. Just as an example.

point is...I will believe that things will change when I see them change...until then, I have no reason any of what is happening now (elim COVID year, losing in the tournament early, etc) will have any impact on the majority of these monies.

Now to us....yes it might impact us more because....we don't have any/a plethora of donors who are totally insulated from the economics of what most folks feel...and therefore our funding could very well be at risk.

We are in such an infancy stage of NIL right now, and with absolutely no rules, it is hard to predict the future...but so far, things look more chaotic than ever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT