ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino predicts transfer portal chaos after Selection Sunday

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Zach Braziller

INDIANAPOLIS — Rick Pitino is sounding the alarm — the transfer portal alarm.

Get ready for free agency the day after Selection Sunday, when the portal opens and players switch schools like everyone else changes clothes.

It’s coming.

“You’re going to see what I’m talking about the day after Selection Sunday, you’re going to see it,” the Hall of Fame coach predicted prior to St. John’s 82-59 win over Butler on Wednesday. “It’s going to get to the point, somebody’s going to take them [the NCAA] to court that they want to transfer mid-semester to play.

“I didn’t play Peyton Siva or Russ Smith as freshmen [at Louisville]. I think Peyton played a few minutes. We developed them into a national championship team, so the thing that’s disturbed me so much is what’s going on and I don’t like this talk, even amongst my [coaching staff], about, ‘OK, let’s look at this player from this school or this school right now because I hear they’re going in the portal.’ I just hate that.”

The landscape of college basketball changed in the spring of 2021, when the NCAA began allowing undergraduate players to transfer once without having to sit out a season.

Initially, players who wanted to transfer a second time had to sit out a year unless they were graduates.

Then, in December, a federal judge overrode the NCAA rule for the current year amid several states suing the NCAA, alleging the rule was in violation of federal antitrust law.

It remains uncertain what will happen next season in regards to multiple transfers who aren’t graduates, but the general thinking is that players will not have to sit out at all.

St. John’s figures to be active in the transfer portal, as starters Daniss Jenkins, Joel Soriano, Jordan Dingle and Chris Ledlum are out of eligibility.

The hope is Pitino can keep his young core of sophomores RJ Luis and Zuby Ejiofor and freshmen Brady Dunlap and Simeon Wilcher together, and build around them.

But there are no guarantees.

If a certain school values a player more than his current school, that could lead to an unexpected departure in the Name, Image & Likeness (NIL) era.

The new normal is that continuity is rare.

College rosters will have vastly different looks season to season.

“You know why when I say, this is the unhappiest I’ve been in a season, you know why?” Pitino said. “It wasn’t because of that [Seton Hall] game, I was very calm at that press conference. It’s because of the state of college basketball.

“It’s not the game I’ve loved for 50 years, 48 years, whatever it may be.”

He later added: “I hated the fact that every single good player in the MAAC got poached to go to a different place. It’s just very disappointing for me, and a lot of the coaches [Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim and Jay Wright] have gotten out because of that, not necessarily NIL. I’ve been throwing things out, like make them employees, make them sign contracts, just trying to come up with something, but I listened to the president of the NCAA the other day.

“And he said can you put something in to stop people from transferring twice? His response was, no, coaches leave whenever they want. But coaches have contracts, and coaches have to pay $3 million, $4 million, $20 million if they want to leave. I just think it’s very, very difficult to do what I’ve done for 35, 40 years, make players better, build them up, have them back.”

He’s right. It’s chaos. Why can’t they wait until the end of the tournament to open the portal? I still can’t figure out how it’s against federal antitrust laws if the players aren’t employees. I guess it supposedly limits their NIL opportunities?

He’s right. It’s chaos. Why can’t they wait until the end of the tournament to open the portal? I still can’t figure out how it’s against federal antitrust laws if the players aren’t employees.
Seems as if waiting would just postpone the chaos.

The NCAA beter do something to regulate the NIL and transfer rule or there will be major problems!!

They're trying but it seems that without political help there is nothing they can do.

The NCAA beter do something to regulate the NIL and transfer rule or there will be major problems!!
The NCAA is dead. They’re just trying to maintain their own income while the players deal with NIL and free agency.

Reactions: chickenbox
Not going to happen. The courts keep ruling against any real restrictions on player movement or ability to earn, which are the correct rulings, so anything preventative the NCAA tries to do will topple over in the slightest breeze. This is just the way it is now.

Reactions: SPK145 and Piratz
Thinking the most realistic option for stability is just to get into contracting with them somehow. The money got too big and they weren’t getting a bit enough cut (the scholarships weren’t cutting it) while everyone else benefitted immensely.

Maybe someone with more info on NIL would know this, do NIL deals usually involve contracts? Is all money paid at once or over time? Why couldn't NIL deals be structured to run through say April 15th so that the season is over? What is going to happen when a player refuses to play in Final 4 until he gets additional NIL money? Or some opponent supporter/fan offers someone an NIL deal not to play against his favorite school?

Thinking the most realistic option for stability is just to get into contracting with them somehow. The money got too big and they weren’t getting a bit enough cut (the scholarships weren’t cutting it) while everyone else benefitted immensely.
This s what should have happened years ago.

The money was always there but it instead bloated the coaches and admins salaries. And lets not kid ourselves. If it was suggested 20 years ago that the NCAA was instituting some kind of profit sharing so the players could share in the money they earn, most college fans would have been opposed and said the scholarship is enough.

Rick has a very good and valid point. I think many coaches probably feel the same way. The game has been destroyed by the NCAA.

Now if they could only learn the importance of the bounce pass you might be talking FF.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt that's a novel idea. A blind man could have seen this coming,

BTW, gotta give major kudos to Pitino. In the space of just 7 days he somehow has greatly improved the team's lateral quickness and athletic ability.

Now, if he could just teach them the importance of the bounce pass you could be talking Final Four.

Their income is every programs income. If they go away, who runs the tournaments?
You’re right and probably a key reason they’ll stay instituted but I don’t see how they’re any longer supposed to be relied upon to address what’s going on.

doubt that's a novel idea. A blind man could have seen this coming,

BTW, gotta give major kudos to Pitino. In the space of just 7 days he somehow has greatly improved the team's lateral quickness and athletic ability.

Now, if he could just teach them the importance of the bounce pass you could be talking Final Four.
Sometimes a call out goes a long way, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Halldan1
Sometimes a call out goes a long way, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

He was right to say what he said. Classic motivational technique. It just gets a negative reaction in the press because everyone is so soft in this day and age.

I doubt that's a novel idea. A blind man could have seen this coming,

And stop dunking!

He was right to say what he said. Classic motivational technique. It just gets a negative reaction in the press because everyone is so soft in this day and age.
Not buying it. It was just an excuse to shed the blame.

And what was the motivational angle blaming the school's "shitty facilities?"

BBcg.gif

Hey Rick, you don't have to be Sherlock to figure that out!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT