ADVERTISEMENT

An NIT side benefit?

lloyde dobler

All World
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
We know that a general requirement to watching these games is having a connection to the teams involved, as a fan or nowadays a gambler.

But….if you are a player in the portal and sorting out your options which may include SHU, wouldn’t it make sense to watch the team play to get a sense of what they are about? If that’s true, then these performances have been a very good thing.

Watching St Peter’s two years ago is how the Davis brothers wound up at SHU. Wonder if there are more stories like that potentially out there.

Additional exposure 7pm on ESPN in an island game is wonderful. No competion on Thursday night (aside from my speaking engagement in NYC) will have to DVR

Reactions: Cool Danch
The more we’ve played the more people have came come out in support of “SH got screwed”. Transfers will watch our style And have an easier buy in to Sha’s message that you can come here. Get some $ and make the NCAAT

I’m not really sure how this does anything more than what any portal player or donor (or fan) would have seen through watching us the entire year including the Big East.

Understand how the SPU run apparently led to the Davis brothers being interested in Sha, but that’s apples and bowling balls compared to this. SPU was never on mainstream TV if any kind and got no attention because it’s SPU. Seton Hall is on TV all the time and in the Big East.

I’m not hating on it and glad the kids are playing well in their last ride (at least the core group). As others said at the outset, NIT is one of those things you only agree to do if your kids are going to play 100%. I just don’t think it has any impact otherwise on anything.

Reactions: HallGuy23
The more we’ve played the more people have came come out in support of “SH got screwed”. Transfers will watch our style And have an easier buy in to Sha’s message that you can come here. Get some $ and make the NCAAT
Was there a North Texas got screwed movement last year after they won the NIT? I don’t think anyone knew they won without looking it up.

The whole NCAA thing received loads of attention off the bat and especially when high profile guys like Hurley and Pitino started referencing it. That’s starting to fade already with the final 4 on us.

We know that a general requirement to watching these games is having a connection to the teams involved, as a fan or nowadays a gambler.

But….if you are a player in the portal and sorting out your options which may include SHU, wouldn’t it make sense to watch the team play to get a sense of what they are about? If that’s true, then these performances have been a very good thing.

Watching St Peter’s two years ago is how the Davis brothers wound up at SHU. Wonder if there are more stories like that potentially out there.
Don’t overrate the NIT just because we’re in it and playing well. Nobody cares about it except for the two teams involved in that days game. Nobody in Arkansas or Illinois is making sure to watch our NIT game.

If we weren’t in it everybody on this board would be saying what a waste it is.

I’m not really sure how this does anything more than what any portal player or donor (or fan) would have seen through watching us the entire year including the Big East.

Understand how the SPU run apparently led to the Davis brothers being interested in Sha, but that’s apples and bowling balls compared to this. SPU was never on mainstream TV if any kind and got no attention because it’s SPU. Seton Hall is on TV all the time and in the Big East.

I’m not hating on it and glad the kids are playing well in their last ride (at least the core group). As others said at the outset, NIT is one of those things you only agree to do if your kids are going to play 100%. I just don’t think it has any impact otherwise on anything.
Take Dre as a kid from Indiana playing at Louisville. Why would he turn on a seton hall game on a random Wednesday during the season when he has practice, games, school work, etc. ? Not to mention in the off time, college players are more likely to tune into the NBA.

If we reach out to kids in the portal, they likely weren’t watching us in Big East play. This is absolutely an opportunity to showcase. Whether or not that makes an impact, who knows.

Don’t overrate the NIT just because we’re in it and playing well. Nobody cares about it except for the two teams involved in that days game. Nobody in Arkansas or Illinois is making sure to watch our NIT game.

Disagree, with the rise in sports gambling, an island game with a 7pm ESPN tip, I think there will be plenty of interest outside of Indianna and New Jersey

It would mean a lot - we are talking about players who were incredibly busy with their own seasons during the winter who are sorting their portal possibilities now. Huge difference.

Are the top of the heap portal guys tuning in to check out SHU in these games? Probably not. But for the next group of guys from elsewhere like Bediako or Davis, why not?

I think it faded a few days after Selection Sunday.
And I wonder if Pitino is now wishing he were in Sha's shoes: two extra weeks of being on television and in the news; and if it were Pitino winning three games at home in NYC, then one in a sold-out Hinkle, there would be even a bigger buzz around the NT and St. John's. It's still the NIT, but as a fan, it's nice to have one's team still playing... well.

I think it faded a few days after Selection Sunday.
And I wonder if Pitino is now wishing he were in Sha's shoes: two extra weeks of being on television and in the news; and if it were Pitino winning three games at home in NYC, then one in a sold-out Hinkle, there would be even a bigger buzz around the NT and St. John's. It's still the NIT, but as a fan, it's nice to have one's team still playing... well.
I don't think St. John's doing well in the NIT would give it any buzz whatsoever. Honestly all Pitino needs to do is pick up a microphone or go on Twitter and he generates buzz.

Take Dre as a kid from Indiana playing at Louisville. Why would he turn on a seton hall game on a random Wednesday during the season when he has practice, games, school work, etc. ? Not to mention in the off time, college players are more likely to tune into the NBA.

If we reach out to kids in the portal, they likely weren’t watching us in Big East play. This is absolutely an opportunity to showcase. Whether or not that makes an impact, who knows.
Any kid in the portal most likely has been contemplating such a move during the season, or is being lured out already by others (or has been or will be). This stuff is much more complex nowadays than a kid turning on a TV. Because of NIL, these kids have advisors, agents, coaches, parents, other middle-men, and "hangers-on like Tiny Morton" in their ears, more than ever, all the time. All of those folks can watch Seton Hall basketball whenever they want, or get game tape if they want to investigate a situation further and watch how we played against top competition through the season. I'd love to be wrong here, but I don't think watching a game that 99% of the country doesn't care about is going to impact whether we land a kid or not.

Plus from a donor perspective, this has to draw attention.
💯

Given SHU’s shortcomings in some areas of marketing and branding, to win in a national setting gives us visibility that we aren’t generating enough of without actually playing games.

As the announcers said last night, SHU (and ISU) made lemonade out of a bunch of sour lemons. Is it moving the needle much? Probably not but there is some exposure which is never a bad thing.

As a fan of the team I’m just glad they’re still playing and are playing for something worthwhile. If they win then all the stories about 1953 will be brought up, at least locally, so some additional attention. Whatever, just a fun ride by a group of SHU players who wanted to keep playing.

There aren't many teams still practicing or playing. My guess is more people will be watching than we think.

ESPN/NCAA did us no favor last night with our game moved to ESPN2 vs McDonalds All Star on espn.

Any exposure at this time of year is good exposure. Positive exposure even better. Always willing to take free national press.

Reactions: PF58
I saw an article today related to FOX starting some type of NIT competitor. Haven't read the specifics or whether this is something that's been out there previously.

I saw an article today related to FOX starting some type of NIT competitor. Haven't read the specifics or whether this is something that's been out there previously.
Yeah, heard about this a few weeks ago. Sixteen teams in Vegas from P6 only. Big 12, B1G and BE have expressed interest. Of course those leagues are all on FOX already.

IMO what this says is that there is still power in having brand name teams from the power hoops conferences competing versus the NIT. This is the very reason that the NIT stopped guaranteeing conference winners get a bid. They want more P6 teams in the bracket.

I did not watch when Xavier won a few years back.

Reactions: HallGuy23
I did not watch when Xavier won a few years back.
Of course you didn’t. Neither did I. Nor did I even recall they won until you just reminded me. And I’m a gigantic college hoops fan. I’m sure our message board also didn’t predict the NIT W would lead to all sorts of exposure prowess or recruiting wins for X beyond what they would ordinarily get.

Reactions: sami
Of course you didn’t. Neither did I. Nor did I even recall they won until you just reminded me. And I’m a gigantic college hoops fan. I’m sure our message board also didn’t predict the NIT W would lead to all sorts of exposure prowess or recruiting wins for X beyond what they would ordinarily get.
It’s been fun as a fan. That’s it. Even if we hang a banner it won’t mean that much to me when the calendar turns to May.

Reactions: SHUSA and dehere23
Who here has predicted that?

Was there a North Texas got screwed movement last year after they won the NIT? I don’t think anyone knew they won without looking it up.

The whole NCAA thing received loads of attention off the bat and especially when high profile guys like Hurley and Pitino started referencing it. That’s starting to fade already with the final 4 on us.
I don’t think so. I spoken to people here in NC who see me wearing my SHU apparel and mention they watched them in NIT and say they really belonged in NCAA.

I can’t remember who won NCAA the year before last. I only cared that UCONN won last season because They are a BE team. What’s your point? I did know Xavier won NIT recently.

I believe Steele was fired after the BET and the interim coach led them through the NIT?
It was bothering me now that I came up, so I looked it up. He actually coached them the first NIT game (which they obviously won) and then was gone the next day.

To give a little more incentive, the NIT Champion should get an automatic bid to the NCAA Tourney the following year.
This is a ridiculous take. Most of our team may not be back next year so why should the new players be rewarded.

Reactions: shu09
I watched it. That final was a great game, very close, ferociously contested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT