ADVERTISEMENT

And the beat goes on

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Houston’s Kelvin Sampson ejected for storming onto court and screaming in referees’ faces in wild scene​

By Matt Ehalt

Kelvin Sampson set the standard for coaches’ ejections in 2024.

The University of Houston basketball coach got his money’s worth and then some Tuesday night, when he walked across the court to scream at one referee before hounding the others, which earned him the boot with his Cougars up 20 points.

“Kelvin is proving a point right here, and I think he overreacted,” ESPN’s Fran Fraschilla said.

Sampson did not comment on what set him off during No. 5 Houston’s 79-63 win over Oklahoma State.

“I have no thoughts,” Sampson said. “If I say something, answer your question and they fine me $25,000, what part of $25,000 are you willing to pay? So, don’t ask me silly questions because it’s a $25,000 fine if I tell the truth. So I can’t, so don’t ask me. I learned that from (Baylor athletic director) Mack Rhoades.”

Sampson lost his cool with 15:08 remaining in the second half and his team ahead 49-29, when the officials missed a shove in the back that led to an Oklahoma State bucket.

The 68-year-old then walked to the opposite end of the court to scream at one referee, pointing at the official and using his hands to deliver his point.

As another referee ejected him, Sampson then started giving that referee the business while being held back.

He then turned and gave the third referee an earful before heading for the locker room.

It’s not often you see a coach go the length of the floor to earn his ejection, but Sampson was clearly fed up with what he had seen.

Fraschilla said the physicality allowed by the referees in the Big 12 over the past two weeks was “unacceptable,” indicating that Sampson may have hit a breaking point.

Houston improved to 20-3 and 7-3 in Big 12 play with Tuesday’s win, and currently sits one half-game ahead of Baylor and Iowa State for first place in the conference standings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT