ADVERTISEMENT

UConn’s Dan Hurley freaks out on Rick Pitino friend, gets technical in fiery Big East Tournament scene

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Zach Braziller

It’s a case of he said, he said.

Connecticut coach Dan Hurley insisted he didn’t try to get St. John’s fan Tom O’Grady ejected for allegedly cursing at him.

And O’Grady, a longtime Pitino friend, said he didn’t say anything to Hurley other than to inform the officials he was out of the coaching box.

In the end, it was much ado about nothing, other than a funny side story to the entertaining Big East Tournament semifinal between the two teams at the Garden.

Top-seeded UConn won the game, outlasting the No. 5 Johnnies, 95-90.

O’Grady returned to his courtside seats after halftime.

“Obviously, the place was in a frenzy when [Pitino] got his technical,” Hurley said. “And then there was a short [man] in a red blazer that was on the court yelling at the refs, and then he started yelling at me and moving in my direction.

“So I was just kind of pointing out to [official] James [Breeding] that he was behaving worse than Coach Pitino.”

Hurley wound up getting a technical foul, too, and could be seen motioning for O’Grady to be ejected.

O’Grady left his seats but eventually returned.

Hurley said he spoke to Garden officials at halftime and wanted O’Grady to be allowed to return.

“Not because I thought he was a good guy,” he joked. “I thought it might be bad luck. Karma.”

O’Grady, a Floral Park native who has known Pitino dating back to his days at Louisville and resides there now, declined to say if Hurley attempted to get him ejected.

“I did not say a word to Dan. Not one word,” O’Grady said. “I said to the referee, ‘He’s out of the box,’ and he gave him a T. That was it. If someone was cursing at him, it wasn’t me.”

Asked about O’Grady, Pitino said: “I told him, I’m going to give you these seats on one condition: You do not say anything to the officials. He’s a genius gas trader, and he’s got deep psychological problems with officials.”

“Dan Hurley is an amazing basketball coach. I got no problem with Dan Hurley.

All I know is it was a great game. St. John’s played great. UConn is an amazing basketball team. Dan Hurley is a hell of a basketball coach. He lost his temper. That’s it.”

Hurley has had issues with opposing fans this year in games against Creighton and Providence, and now he has added O’Grady to the list of contentious run-ins.

“I’m probably the boy who cried wolf because of [the other games],” the coach said. “But I promise you, if we play Marquette tomorrow night, there will be no incident because those people are incredibly classy fans, and we have incredible respect for them.”

I don't remember Danny being this fiery as a player.Always struck me as a bit of a whiner.

Reactions: CL82
If Danny doesn’t learn to control his temper he’s going to cross a line that will cause him significant problems that could impact his career in a negative Way.

Dude has serious napoleon complex.. always in daddy’s and more often; brothers shadows. Time to grow up Danny. He’s making UCONN the national villains

Danny in brother's and dad's shadow.... now? Really?
As I've posted before, Pitino bringing his arrogant act to the Big East has made me a Danny fan.
There’s a serious hate for Pitino on this board and I don’t get it.. what’d he ever do to us

Reactions: Johnny Biggs
Dude has serious napoleon complex.. always in daddy’s and more often; brothers shadows. Time to grow up Danny. He’s making UCONN the national villains
At one time I would have agreed with the “shadows” statement, but not anymore. He’s done something neither his father nor older brother have: win an NCAA Championship as a head coach, and he has a very good chance of adding to that total. He has clearly outshone his brother in terms of the college coaching ranks. When his family inevitably does their measuring contests, he’s now got a pretty big and considerable chip to throw down on the table.

Reactions: HALL85
There’s a serious hate for Pitino on this board and I don’t get it.. what’d he ever do to us
His name often arose during the Willard years where there was a love and hate vibe. Probably universal recognition of his ability as a coach, although even the most reactionary couldn’t contain those wild opinions this year. The love when he would say good stuff about the job Willard was doing and Hall, and the hate because of all the past stuff involving him from Louisville.

But now that he’s at SJU, forget about it. You could put Mother Theresa there and for many she’d be the devil incarnate.

Don’t understand the hate for Hurley here. He’s proven his worth as a coach. Was always hoping that he’d come to coach SHU.
Yes, he’s intense but that intensity I see as a positive. Maybe that’s from watching 9 years of Willards blank stare.

Don’t understand the hate for Hurley here. He’s proven his worth as a coach. Was always hoping that he’d come to coach SHU.
Yes, he’s intense but that intensity I see as a positive. Maybe that’s from watching 9 years of Willards blank stare.
He's an alum who had a polarizing career here as a player, with a legendary Dad who didn't exactly pull punches with DH's experience here as a player, and now is coaching of all teams UCONN and has them positioned as an absolute juggernaut. That alone is going to generate those type of reactions. Then you add in the fact that he's a polarizing, combative coach who does some crazy s&&& on the sidelines and has now picked fights with at least 3 Big East team's fan bases in videos that went viral..

He's an alum who had a polarizing career here as a player, with a legendary Dad who didn't exactly pull punches with DH's experience here as a player, and now is coaching of all teams UCONN and has them positioned as an absolute juggernaut. That alone is going to generate those type of reactions. Then you add in the fact that he's a polarizing, combative coach who does some crazy s&&& on the sidelines and has now picked fights with at least 3 Big East team's fan bases in videos that went viral..
Danny is an alum who had performance anxiety as a player, bouts with mental and emotional health, 18 months younger than his stud brother, nearly saw his brother die, started drinking to cope...got an assistant gig at Rutgers then coached prep for a decade at st benedicts before an nec job to a10 to now beast of east with large public state school

Yes he needs to self harness better with opposing fans...

Danny is an alum who had performance anxiety as a player, bouts with mental and emotional health, 18 months younger than his stud brother, nearly saw his brother die, started drinking to cope...got an assistant gig at Rutgers then coached prep for a decade at st benedicts before an nec job to a10 to now beast of east with large public state school

Yes he needs to self harness better with opposing fans...
Don't need to convince me. I like Hurley. Always have. Some of the antics are a bit much and of course there is the Uconn factor, but I've never been one who goes nuts here about him or Pitino. The reality is our entire board would be happy if either was coaching Seton Hall, and that isn't a knock on Sha, because I love Sha too. It's like with Cooley. Someone the other day said he used to be there favorite coach but they look down on him now because of what he did to Providence. Sure, if you believe some of the stuff posted here and elsewhere, it seems poor form to say the least, and if I was a Providence fan left at the altar I'd root for the guy to lose every game. But make no mistake, those who supposedly don't like him anymore because of how he handled the situation would have found 10,000 ways to justify it if we had been on the receiving end.

I think for college hoops they need to not have fans on the floor on the side of the benches.
Agree Pitino's pal and Hurleys father shouldn't be seated right behind the coaches bench.Move them back 4-5 rows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT